+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FT: ITALY 1 - 1 SPAIN. Italy win on pens

FT: ITALY 1 - 1 SPAIN. Italy win on pens

Italy and Spain go head to head in a European Championship knockout game for the fourth tournament in a row, with a place in the Euro 2020 final against England or Denmark up for grabs.

This is the countries' seventh meeting in the Euros, with Spain's only win in 90 minutes coming in the 2012 final - which they won 4-0. Italy beat Spain in the last 16 at Euro 2016.

Spain are looking for a third European title in four events, while Italy have surprisingly only won it once, all the way back in 1968.

The game is at Wembley, the same venue as Wednesday's match between England and Denmark and Sunday's final.

There are unlikely to be too many fans of either side at the game. Anybody flying from Spain or Italy into England would have to quarantine and therefore not be able to attend.

Italian FA president Gabriele Gravina says they have been given 125 tickets - out of a possible 60,000 crowd.

"It is unfair that there are no fans from Italy and Spain," said Italy boss Roberto Mancini. "But it is better to play in front of the public than in front of a few people - that is the beauty of sport."

Spain manager Luis Enrique said he hoped there would be plenty of Spanish and Italians who live in the UK in the crowd.

"It is a strange situation. I hope there are Spanish and Italians more than English fans, but they are things we cannot control," he said. "I am not going to waste any energy on it. We wish it was different but we accept it."

Italy - who are unbeaten in almost three years - have been arguably the most impressive team in Euro 2020 so far.

They won all three group games before beating Austria in extra time and then Belgium, the number one ranked team in the world, 2-1 in the quarter-finals.

But they will be without left-back Leonardo Spinazzola, who has been one of the best players in the tournament, after he suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon against Belgium. The 28-year-old Roma player has had surgery and is set to be sidelined for around six months.

Spain have been less impressive - winning just one of their five games in 90 minutes.

A 5-0 win over Slovakia in the final group game took them through after two draws. They beat Croatia 5-3 in extra time in the last 16 - having led 3-1 with 10 minutes to go - and then beat Switzerland on penalties in the quarter-finals.

Unlike some other teams at Euro 2020, both managers have enjoyed great success as bosses in club football.

Spain's Enrique won the treble with Barcelona - and another La Liga title. Italy's Mancini won three Serie A titles with Inter Milan and the Premier League with Manchester City, as well as six cups in Italy, England and Turkey.

"In the last 20 years Spain have dominated world football so I don't think they will change their style of play now," Mancini said.

"They have a style of play, invented by them, which has led them to extraordinary successes and they continue to do it well.

"Ours will be slightly different, we are Italian and we cannot suddenly become Spanish. We will try to play our game."

Re: ITALY v SPAIN. ko 8pm

Spain for me, lets be honest, What did the Romans do for us?

Forza Italia!

Italy for me, as IMHO they have a better chance of beating England (should they get past Denmark)

Edit:
    Spain big chance should've scored.

Really good game this. Spain may pay from a lack of a top striker.

This half is flying by, the sign of a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Very enjoyable for a neutral. Not only a place in the final but a good clutch of Oscars up for grabs!

I can see one of these goalies making a right cock up with a kick out.

To iffy for my liking

Yes really open and I agree, any top striker kills the ball with his first touch and in on goal.

Spain have always played like this, in recent times anyway, but it is refreshing to see Italy under Mancini playing this high press and not the way they have traditionally played (say in the last 3 or 4 decades) inviting the opposition into the last third.

Half time already. Where's that gone??

Why do players walk the ball into the goal these days, what happened to the 30 yard screamers?

Basketball anyone?

Italy 1 nil
    What a finish by Chiesa!!

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Why do players walk the ball into the goal these days, what happened to the 30 yard screamers?
    Not 30 yards but still a screamer, what a move, started by Donnarumma.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

Whatever happens Chillieni is my player of the tournament, what a warrior and all with a smile on his face. F*ck his age, go get him Mick

Iffy kick.😂

Terrible miss. Spains finishing is poor.

Iffy kick.��
    Another iffy kick

Terrible miss. Spains finishing is poor.
    Morata

What a game!

Loads of Spanish and Italian fans at Wembley, those Danes will be well outnumbered on Sunday I reckon

Italy are in trouble. Think they need extra time and a regroup.

Whatever happens Chillieni is my player of the tournament, what a warrior and all with a smile on his face. F*ck his age, go get him Mick
    I'm sure he's on warnock's radar

Was that just three minutes added in the whole game? He blew on 45 in the first half didn’t he? If it was, that’s a bit unusual, indicative of a good game and decent reffing.