+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto-renewals in respect of insurances

Re: Auto-renewals in respect of insurances

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    The insurer has to do one of two things as a default, either cancel your insurance at the renewal date, or renew it (usually on different terms). What they cannot do is simply let the existing contract continue past one year.
    Or they can include an automatic renewal, which isn't the same as letting the existing contract continue, when the old contract runs out. It might be in tiny small print that nobody reads. There's nothing preventing insurers doing such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What's a diary?
    An early form of Filofax.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What's a diary?
    Paper diaries were quite good in the day mind but I'm talking smart diaries here.

Pop a reminder in one and all manner of devices will remind you and save you loadsamoney when the time is right.

I've saved well over £200 already this year by getting a little more organised last year. I don't have more money than sense any more!

EE can expect a call from me quite soon for the one of the managers (keep him at all costs) "today only specials"

You must have missed a renewal notice (or reminder) of some sort as they can't legally enter into an arrangement with you that lasts longer than a year. They are OK if they have simply reminded you that your contract is coming up for renewal and they will renew it unless you tell them otherwise.
    they can its called auto-renewal and its there in black and white or email at the start of contract you just have to take care when agreeing at firstmainly used when paying in full

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Their defence was that I received an offer that I didn't respond to and that the renewal kicked in as a result. For my part, I did not accept the offer and therefore considered that no contract was entered into. The money was taken from my account in the first instance whatever.
    This is absolutely common practice in the insurance industry, it works like this for any type of annual insurance policy I can think of - the contractual position will be absolutely nailed down. And I don’t think it’s sharp practice either- I’m always reminded in multiple occasions that it’s renewal time and to be honest I’m grateful that it does. The chance of me not having time to sort out a new policy is not insignificant so at least this way I know that I’m still insured, even if it might not be on the best deal.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    they can its called auto-renewal and its there in black and white or email at the start of contract you just have to take care when agreeing at firstmainly used when paying in full
    It is a renewal that they have to advise you the terms of and give you the opportunity to cancel - it is only an "auto renewal" in the sense that their default if you don't cancel is to renew the policy.
    They can't let the existing policy just continue to run as it would breach their insurance licence.

It is a renewal that they have to advise you the terms of and give you the opportunity to cancel - it is only an "auto renewal" in the sense that their default if you don't cancel is to renew the policy.
    They can't let the existing policy just continue to run as it would breach their insurance licence.
    Useful to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I can deal with a little increase every year to save fecking about
    just whack your details into " Compare the market " they will send you reminders, if nothing has changed they just use your last details you entered

and you get " meerkat movies and meals " which really does save us alot of money

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    just whack your details into " Compare the market " they will send you reminders, if nothing has changed they just use your last details you entered

and you get " meerkat movies and meals " which really does save us alot of money
    Year before last year I paid 800, they wanted well over 1000 to renew, I asked the nice lady on the phone how it had increased and she said it was a different broker. Went on money supermarket where I'd originally got the quote and paid 690 with a new provider and this year it was 500. That's 150 quid a year saving, for literally opening an email and having a look at what other providers are offering. If wasting a few seconds of your life is too rock and roll and effort to save a decent amount of money then so be it...

I have gone from being a loyal customer i.e. sticking with the same service provider year in, year out, to someone who uses comparison sites every time for all my insurance needs (house, house contents, car, home emergency). I have saved a fortune over the last 5 years or so. I do get reminders but what I find is that they are sent out so far ahead of time that I tend to put them on one side and then forget about them!

For life and accident insurance I have to stick with the same companies because of my age , changing provider would incur massive increases in premiums!

Combine the comparison sites with cashback sites and save even more. I did my house insurance through one of them, confused.com I think, via Quidco, and got £30 cashback. Takes a few months to come through, but well worth a look!