+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto-renewals in respect of insurances

Auto-renewals in respect of insurances

Twice in the last couple of weeks I have realised that two different insurance policies (car and rivercraft) auto-renewed and payments were taken from my bank account. I had no idea that such an arrangement was included in the small print when I took out the policies a year ago and although I have received full refunds, it's easier not to notice such things happening unless you closely examine your outgoings.
    Just be warned, old fruits.

Re: Auto-renewals in respect of insurances

You must have missed a renewal notice (or reminder) of some sort as they can't legally enter into an arrangement with you that lasts longer than a year. They are OK if they have simply reminded you that your contract is coming up for renewal and they will renew it unless you tell them otherwise.

I insured my car with the same company last year , everybody was telling me to shop around and I found out mine , aviva , was the cheapest

So for the next few years I am sticking with them , I havnt got the time to arse about on comparison websites

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Twice in the last couple of weeks I have realised that two different insurance policies (car and rivercraft) auto-renewed and payments were taken from my bank account. I had no idea that such an arrangement was included in the small print when I took out the policies a year ago and although I have received full refunds, it's easier not to notice such things happening unless you closely examine your outgoings.
    Just be warned, old fruits.
    They usually send you the new quote 2 weeks before renewal and if you don't contact them to stop it they will auto renew.
    You are lucky to get a full refund as they will say you didn't do it before the renewal date

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    You must have missed a renewal notice (or reminder) of some sort as they can't legally enter into an arrangement with you that lasts longer than a year. They are OK if they have simply reminded you that your contract is coming up for renewal and they will renew it unless you tell them otherwise.
    Their defence was that I received an offer that I didn't respond to and that the renewal kicked in as a result. For my part, I did not accept the offer and therefore considered that no contract was entered into. The money was taken from my account in the first instance whatever.

Good post TBG - I got done by an insurance company taking a full years £ policy when I had switched to a cheaper vendor and had not noticed

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I insured my car with the same company last year , everybody was telling me to shop around and I found out mine , aviva , was the cheapest

So for the next few years I am sticking with them , I havnt got the time to arse about on comparison websites
    The companies love people like you and tend to overcharge you on renewal as a result. For the best prices look for quotes 3 weeks before your current policies expire.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Good post TBG - I got done by an insurance company taking a full years £ policy when I had switched to a cheaper vendor and had not noticed
    I'm like a mutha to you lot

I'm like a mutha to you lot
    Mother - oor I get it

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Sorry to ask TBG is a mutha like a fanny
    That's too philosophical a question to respond to while I am watch the Tour de France highlights...

Quick question regarding car insurance. I've just had a price from my current insurer which I'm going to take. It says it will auto renew on said date. Question is, I have a new bank card as the expiry date ran out on the other one a couple of months ago. Will they still be able to take payment (I pay it in full every year) or will I have to give them the details of my new card?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Quick question regarding car insurance. I've just had a price from my current insurer which I'm going to take. It says it will auto renew on said date. Question is, I have a new bank card as the expiry date ran out on the other one a couple of months ago. Will they still be able to take payment (I pay it in full every year) or will I have to give them the details of my new card?
    If it's direct debit then no need to do anything as its the same account as your old card.

The best thing to do is put these auto renew dates in your diary and 2/3 weeks before the auto renewal kicks in ring them up to cancel.
    Miraculously they always have a "special offer or managers special on today" and ask you to hold on for a moment and they come back to you trumping any low price offer you've had elswhere.
    Just did it yesterday on my home insurance and got 35% knocked off the auto' renewal price. They just rely on the unorganised to make their extra profits. Don't let emm' boys and girls!

I’ve had something similar with my Energy bills, with Bulb, they increased the monthly bill by £97 by stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    They usually send you the new quote 2 weeks before renewal and if you don't contact them to stop it they will auto renew.
    You are lucky to get a full refund as they will say you didn't do it before the renewal date
    Don’t forget that a transaction of this nature is covered by the ‘cooling off period’ rule, so you can still claw back the money, which should be a minimum of 14 days after the renewal date.

The companies love people like you and tend to overcharge you on renewal as a result. For the best prices look for quotes 3 weeks before your current policies expire.
    I can deal with a little increase every year to save fecking about

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    No quite sure why you think an expired card will work but there you go. They will try and take it on the renewal date, it will fail due to the card expiry and they will presumably contact you but in the meantime, the policy could expire and you will be uninsured. You must therefore contact them before the renewal date, assuming you want to continue the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    If it's direct debit then no need to do anything as its the same account as your old card.
    That reply is a bit misleading. The card he used to pay has expired but is on auto renew. They will therefore try to use the same card. No mention of direct debits in the post.

Part of the DPA process, is the marketing process attached to it and how they communicate with them.
    You have to either opt in too our out of contact by post (depends on which way they word it).

If it’s paperless the renewal reminder then that could have ended up in your junk/spam folder.
    The onus is on you to remember and act.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    The best thing to do is put these auto renew dates in your diary and 2/3 weeks before the auto renewal kicks in ring them up to cancel.
    Miraculously they always have a "special offer or managers special on today" and ask you to hold on for a moment and they come back to you trumping any low price offer you've had elswhere.
    Just did it yesterday on my home insurance and got 35% knocked off the auto' renewal price. They just rely on the unorganised to make their extra profits. Don't let emm' boys and girls!
    What's a diary?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    That reply is a bit misleading. The card he used to pay has expired but is on auto renew. They will therefore try to use the same card. No mention of direct debits in the post.
    A direct debit uses sort code and account number, which stay the same.

I have one bill that goes out on a Saturday each week which is an "automated card payment" (sure its called that) and as this ISN'T a DD I need to update my card details if they change.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    My wife's car insurance automatically renewed a couple of months ago. She was able to cancel and get a refund.

Perhaps it's something some insurance companies are now doing, adding an automatic renewal to the contract.

Thinking about it.
    Car insurance is compulsory and law.
    Maybe it’s a duty of care for those that could forget.

My house insurance does not auto renew as that’s not law only perhaps a T&C of a mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Thinking about it.
    Car insurance is compulsory and law.
    Maybe it’s a duty of care for those that could forget.

My house insurance does not auto renew as that’s not law only perhaps a T&C of a mortgage.
    That doesn't explain why my insurance for taking an inflatable kayak on our rivers automatically renewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My wife's car insurance automatically renewed a couple of months ago. She was able to cancel and get a refund.

Perhaps it's something some insurance companies are now doing, adding an automatic renewal to the contract.
    The insurer has to do one of two things as a default, either cancel your insurance at the renewal date, or renew it (usually on different terms). What they cannot do is simply let the existing contract continue past one year.
    If you've missed a renewal notice and taken cover elsewhere then you should have no problem getting a refund.