+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FT: ENGLAND 2 - 1 DENMARK. aet

FT: ENGLAND 2 - 1 DENMARK. aet

BBC Sport

Gareth Southgate has challenged his England players to make history by beating Denmark to reach the European Championship final for the first time.

England are one win away from a first major tournament final since 1966 after reaching the semi-finals of Euro 2020.

They face Denmark in front of a 60,000 crowd at Wembley on Wednesday.

"We don't have as good a football history as we like to believe sometimes," said Southgate. "These players are making massive strides."

The last time England reached a major tournament final was when they lifted the World Cup 55 years ago. They have never got further than the semi-final stage in a European Championship.

However, there is mounting excitement - and hope has turned to expectation - that Southgate's side can finally triumph.

England, who also ended a 55-year wait for a knockout tie victory over Germany with their last-16 success, are the highest-ranked side still left in the tournament.

"We've broken down barriers in this tournament and we have another opportunity to do that tomorrow," added Southgate.

"We have never been to a European Championship final so we can be the first England team to do that which is really exciting."

Southgate said knowing the country was behind the team is a "great feeling for us".

Cars and homes are decked out with England flags while pubs have been given permission to stay open an extra 45 minutes until 23:15 BST on Sunday, in case the final at Wembley - which kicks-off at 20:00 - goes to extra time and penalties.

"We are ready for the game, the players are ready, they have got tremendous experience themselves having been in this situation before," added Southgate, who led England to the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup.

"Our preparations have been calm and we know we are playing a very good opponent. It's going to be a really tight game and an exciting game for everybody."

Southgate is confident his players can handle the pressure against Denmark, who won the European Championship in 1992.

"We have had expectation during the whole tournament and I think we dealt with that really well in the opening game, for example, and the game with Germany," he said.

"But we have never been to a final so the pressure is whatever you choose it to be really. It's a motivating thing, a challenge for us.

"If we were a country that had won five titles and had to match what had gone before then I might feel differently. But we're not. Denmark have won it so maybe there is more pressure on them to replicate that."

England supporters have been serenading their team through the tournament with chants of 'Football's Coming Home', the anthem that first became popular when the Three Lions reached the last four of Euro 96.

Asked what it would mean to ruin England's dreams of Euro glory on home soil, Denmark keeper Kasper Schmeichel said: "Has it ever been home? I don't know. Have you ever won it?"

But England captain Harry Kane said the team was in a strong position to put that right.

"He's right in terms it hasn't 'come home' in this competition for us, but we're in a great position in that we are two games away," added Kane.

"It's important our focus is on Wednesday night and is about us and what we can do. We know if we can get it right then it should be enough to get us over the line."

Re: ENGLAND v DENMARK. ko 8pm

"has it ever been home"

Euro 2020: Denmark's Kasper Schmeichel makes 'football's coming home' quip on facing England in semi-finals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/57743583

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    "has it ever been home"

Euro 2020: Denmark's Kasper Schmeichel makes 'football's coming home' quip on facing England in semi-finals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/57743583
    goog for him.

"has it ever been home"

Well said Kasper.

"has it ever been home"

Denmark won't need psyching up for the game with questions like that!

I would loov it, loov it...

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Denmark won't need psyching up for the game with questions like that!

I would loov it, loov it...
    Or if they watched the ridiculous Rio Ferdinand last night.

Just switched on my radio and the first thing I hear is the special 606 broadcast where they were comparing the England and Italy central defenders - that could have just been a general football discussion I suppose, but a few seconds more of listening told me it wasn't, I switched my radio off again after that.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just switched on my radio and the first thing I hear is the special 606 broadcast where they were comparing the England and Italy central defenders - that could have just been a general football discussion I suppose, but a few seconds more of listening told me it wasn't, I switched my radio off again after that.
    Talk Sport were discussing what a night it's going to be on Sunday And they wonder why we have little sympathy when they get beat.

Anyone else hear "it's coming home" being sang around the stadium last night?

Anyone else hear "it's coming home" being sang around the stadium last night?
    Heard the boos, would love the Italian and Danish fans to belt it out on Sunday in a massive piss take.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Heard the boos, would love the Italian and Danish fans to belt it out on Sunday in a massive piss take.
    With Wales it was hope, with England it's expectation and that's what grates on people I think. Yes heard the boos, shame really as they shouldn't have to be drowning it out supporting their own team.

If I was Southgate I’d make the team watch a re run of the Iceland match 5 yrs ago….maybe picking up on Joe Harts classics rant in the tunnel before the game when he apparently said “come on lads we can’t lose here this lot are shiiiiit”

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    If I was Southgate I’d make the team watch a re run of the Iceland match 5 yrs ago….maybe picking up on Joe Harts classics rant in the tunnel before the game when he apparently said “come on lads we can’t lose here this lot are shiiiiit”
    I didn't know that but when you've got arrogant to**ers like Joe Hart and Rio Ferdinand thinking that England are world beaters, is it any wonder that so many non-English people want them to fail.

If they were as humble as Southgate and the media toned down the England love-in, they may well garner some support from people in the other home nations. As it stands, there is absolutely no chance of that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I didn't know that but when you've got arrogant to**ers like Joe Hart and Rio Ferdinand thinking that England are world beaters, is it any wonder that so many non-English people want them to fail.

If they were as humble as Southgate and the media toned down the England love-in, they may well garner some support from people in the other home nations. As it stands, there is absolutely no chance of that happening.
    Rio has feck all to do with the England squad.
    2-1 Denmark

Jamie O Hara. I can see us dominating for the next 10 years. FFS.

Have got as far as Wales did last time around so far, with Denmark to beat instead of Portugal with prime Ronaldo.. Yet they are talking of dominating world football for a generation... ****ing dickheads - really hope they lose and it's a pathetic display.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Have got as far as Wales did last time around so far, with Denmark to beat instead of Portugal with prime Ronaldo.. Yet they are talking of dominating world football for a generation... ****ing dickheads - really hope they lose and it's a pathetic display.
    And we beat the world’s number one side in the quarters.

Sky News reporter when looking at a calm Box Park fan event

'This place will be different WHEN England score later' followed by 'great news that Boris has allowed the pubs to stay open late on Sunday night.'

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Sky News reporter when looking at a calm Box Park fan event

'This place will be different WHEN England score later' followed by 'great news that Boris has allowed the pubs to stay open late on Sunday night.'
    Expectation.

That's what was so nice about our semi final run, it wasn't expected and we all had fun and enjoyed it, not to say that England fans aren't having fun and enjoying it, but it just seemed more genuine with our run, maybe I'm not using the right words but there was no arrogance or expectation with Wales it was just enjoyed for what it was.

Expectation.

That's what was so nice about our semi final run, it wasn't expected and we all had fun and enjoyed it, not to say that England fans aren't having fun and enjoying it, but it just seemed more genuine with our run, maybe I'm not using the right words but there was no arrogance or expectation with Wales it was just enjoyed for what it was.
    Look at this geezer, Wales aren't even playing and that's all he's talking about is Wales, barely gives England a mention.

My Mrs just said that 'Schmeichel's shorts don't go with his top' I didn't answer her ........................
    So after the adverts the camera is back on Schmeichel and she said 'he looks much better now he's changed his top'.......🥴🥴🥴

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    My Mrs just said that 'Schmeichel's shorts don't go with his top' I didn't answer her ........................
    So after the adverts the camera is back on Schmeichel and she said 'he looks much better now he's changed his top'.......🥴🥴🥴
    Is she quite happy with Englands' shorts colour? St Andrew's Blue I like to call it.

Denmark 1 - 0

What a free kick, jaysus

Brilliant free kick but I think Pickford should have done better wasnt in the corner.

oh dear, haha lmfao