+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Federer

Federer

Out of Wimbledon in straight sets.

Beaten by an awesome display by a young Pole.

Last time we see the legend on centre court?

Re: Federer

Bet he's Fed er up

I just thought that a player who dominated his sport for such a long period of time deserved a mention.

8 times Wimbledon champion.

He has battled back from injury, similar to Andy Murray in that respect, but ultimately was beaten by the better and much younger player.

As McEnroe (I think it was) said afterwards time stands still for no man and at nearly forty, it could well be his final appearance.

Anyway enough of that, "Come on Denmark"!!! 🇩🇰

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I just thought that a player who dominated his sport for such a long period of time deserved a mention.

8 times Wimbledon champion.

He has battled back from injury, similar to Andy Murray in that respect, but ultimately was beaten by the better and much younger player.

As McEnroe (I think it was) said afterwards time stands still for no man and at nearly forty, it could well be his final appearance.

Anyway enough of that, "Come on Denmark"!!! ����
    He is a legend, more so than Borg maybe? Better to go with a bang than fade away?

Federer played at the height of interest and competition in modern day tennis and won so much, but there is a fairly good chance Djokovic ends up with at least equal Wimbledon's and more major trophies overall.

Think we're seeing the last of Federer now (American and Australian as last two competitions?) so am glad they could get a crowd in.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Federer played at the height of interest and competition in modern day tennis and won so much, but there is a fairly good chance Djokovic ends up with at least equal Wimbledon's and more major trophies overall.

Think we're seeing the last of Federer now (American and Australian as last two competitions?) so am glad they could get a crowd in.
    Djokovic is three away from equaling Federer's Wimbledon tally, two away from equaling total Grand Slam finals and just one away from Federer's wins.

Djokovic is the only one of the modern day four (Federer, Nadal, Murray included in that) who have not only one each of the Grand Slams but have multiple wins in their "weakest" event.

We could end up in a situation where Federer recognised as best ever on grass, Nadal on clay and Djokovic on hard court.

Not that I'm suddenly interested in tennis or anything

What a time to be a tennis fan though where you have Federer 20 grand slams, Nadal 20, Djokovic 18. All for most of their careers rivalling each other.

Murray was quite unlucky, usually he'd have had more, other players could have got 1.

I've not kept up with it so much last few years but I can't imagine there is anyone coming through that would have rivalled these in their prime. Djokovic indeed still has another couple of years to mop up.

First Team

Not that into tennis but I can certainly recognise that he deserves to be a true sporting icon comparable to any across the spectrum of sports.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Djokovic is three away from equaling Federer's Wimbledon tally, two away from equaling total Grand Slam finals and just one away from Federer's wins.

Djokovic is the only one of the modern day four (Federer, Nadal, Murray included in that) who have not only one each of the Grand Slams but have multiple wins in their "weakest" event.

We could end up in a situation where Federer recognised as best ever on grass, Nadal on clay and Djokovic on hard court.

Not that I'm suddenly interested in tennis or anything
    I never realised the multiple wins thing.

Federer has only won the French once, and nadal has only won one Aussie.

Their Wimbledon final in 2008 (I think) is the highest quality tennis match I've ever seen. Saying that, they've played each other in so many slam finals and I've only seen a minority.