+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 60000 / 90000 +

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

60000 / 90000 +

Given the fact that many positive covid cases have been attributed to the Euro 2020 matches both here and in Europe, I wonder how many will die (directly or indirectly) as a consequence.

Re: 60000 / 90000 +

Haven’t you heard? It’s coming home! COVID, that is.

Talking to a guy yesterday who went to the Cheltenham festival in 2020. He told me that 3 of the party he went with died as a result of catching Covid whilst there.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Talking to a guy yesterday who went to the Cheltenham festival in 2020. He told me that 3 of the party he went with died as a result of catching Covid whilst there.
    Most of my colleagues who have absolutely no love of football are seething at the total inconsistency of those that govern this country. BBC news tonight spouting the usual stats about covid and the impact on hospitals, then follow it up with images of thousands doing what they must know is crass stupidity. Do they really care?

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    BBC news tonight spouting the usual stats about covid and the impact on hospitals, then follow it up with images of thousands doing what they must know is crass stupidity. Do they really care?
    Crass stupidity? So would you prefer it if we continued to live in a constant state of lockdown and social restrictions whereby large gatherings of people for sports and other events are a thing of the past?

We’ve had 16 months of that already. The vaccine rollout has been extensive and largely successful. We’re simply going to have to learn to live with Covid-19, just as we live with all of the other viruses that are harmful to our species. There is no realistic alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Crass stupidity? So would you prefer it if we continued to live in a constant state of lockdown and social restrictions whereby large gatherings of people for sports and other events are a thing of the past?

We’ve had 16 months of that already. The vaccine rollout has been extensive and largely successful. We’re simply going to have to learn to live with Covid-19, just as we live with all of the other viruses that are harmful to our species. There is no realistic alternative.
    I said in a recent post on here that my viewpoint has changed on this subject and I'm now broadly in agreement with you, but I think there should have been a further delay past 19 July to get the number of people with double jabs up to something like two thirds, rather than just over a half - 66 per cent was around the figure they used to talk about to achieve herd immunity when it looked like that was going to be the UK's policy.

I find it surprising that vaccine figures have done no more than stay constant or even drop a little in the time since the original "Freedom Day" was shelved because I expected there to be a real emphasis on getting as many vaccinated as possible in the interim period - after all, that was what we were told when the reason for the first delay was announced.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

The number of covid infections continues to rise rapidly. Deaths up one third on last week. A further relaxation of restrictions due in ten days time. It’s idiotic. For the sake of a few months getting all adults and children 12 and over vaccinated Johnson and his motley crew would prefer the chaos that’s going to ensue in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I said in a recent post on here that my viewpoint has changed on this subject and I'm now broadly in agreement with you, but I think there should have been a further delay past 19 July to get the number of people with double jabs up to something like two thirds, rather than just over a half - 66 per cent was around the figure they used to talk about to achieve herd immunity when it looked like that was going to be the UK's policy.

I find it surprising that vaccine figures have done no more than stay constant or even drop a little in the time since the original "Freedom Day" was shelved because I expected there to be a real emphasis on getting as many vaccinated as possible in the interim period - after all, that was what we were told when the reason for the first delay was announced.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations
    Why just two thirds? What about 12-18 year olds who could end up getting long covid? What about the chaos in schools which is happening now and is likely to be worse in September? By October all adults that want the vaccine and 12-18 year olds could have been double jabbed. It’s not like we are all cooped up at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Given the fact that many positive covid cases have been attributed to the Euro 2020 matches both here and in Europe, I wonder how many will die (directly or indirectly) as a consequence.
    At the moment, probably a lot less than 90,000 in a stadium together with a 'flu epidemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Why just two thirds? What about 12-18 year olds who could end up getting long covid? What about the chaos in schools which is happening now and is likely to be worse in September? By October all adults that want the vaccine and 12-18 year olds could have been double jabbed. It’s not like we are all cooped up at the moment.
    Because that's what was being reported as being enough to achieve herd immunity when it was being contemplated back in March 2020. If that figure has gone up in the meantime, then my opinion would change to reflect it, but I see that there is a comprehensive survey out today confirming that teenagers and younger kids have an "extremely low" risk of dying or contracting a severe illness from Covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ers-in-england