+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Byrne

Jack Byrne

"Cardiff City boss 'keen on a reunion' with APOEL's Jack Byrne - The 72" https://the72.co.uk/241709/cardiff-c...ack-byrne/amp/

He might be a gem. We won't know until he's hit the grass

BUT what is it with managers and favourites? I understand they know players strengths etc, but at what point do you drawn the line? Shouldn't it be more about what the club you're at needs, rather than just bringing in old heads you already know?

Re: Jack Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    "Cardiff City boss 'keen on a reunion' with APOEL's Jack Byrne - The 72" https://the72.co.uk/241709/cardiff-c...ack-byrne/amp/

He might be a gem. We won't know until he's hit the grass

BUT what is it with managers and favourites? I understand they know players strengths etc, but at what point do you drawn the line? Shouldn't it be more about what the club you're at needs, rather than just bringing in old heads you already know?
    I think I've mentioned on here when Mick joined that Jack wouldn't be too far behind him.

He is an interesting one though is Jack.

Eight clubs and he's only 25.

Was the next big thing at Man city and hugely thought of

Played at every level for Ireland.

And yet he's not playing anywhere the the level that his earlier promise had indicated he would be.

He's actually got everything... Pace, dribbling, crossing, goals and his ability to keep the ball and pick out a pass is unreal.

A mystery why it hasn't worked at club level for him.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I think I've mentioned on here when Mick joined that Jack wouldn't be too far behind him.

And yet he's not playing anywhere the the level that his earlier promise had indicated he would be.

He's actually got everything... Pace, dribbling, crossing, goals and his ability to keep the ball and pick out a pass is unreal.

In other words a poor buy who will become the latest waste of space.

Yes strange career so far, his best season was probably 17/18 with 5 goals and 9 assists in league one for Oldham (who were relegated that season), but from there he's gone to the SPL and barely played and then went to the Irish league, before Mick took him to Cyprus.

Plays either as an attacking midfield or a central midfield.

I remember the name can't recall ever seeing him play, we've had it with Dave Jones where he's brought players in and turned them around, I'm not saying Mick can't do that with Byrne here, I was just curious as to why managers always seem to do it, in some cases it works out and in others it is just like they get them in because they have worked with them before and don't give a thought about the ambition and level of the club.

around the same time he was released by Oldham (as a 22 year old), they also sacked Antony Gerrard for arguing with fans on twitter
    seems like they may have been desperate to reduce the wage bill.

Maybe he needs to find his spiritual home, ie:---- A lot of loving.

Looks incredible in the league of ireland (yeah i know)

youtube.com/watch?v=efGitkiCdMs

Just had a google on him and this article from a few days ago popped up from when patrick vieira was academy manager at man city.

https://punditarena.com/football/rud...ra-jack-byrne/

He said: “If you want to play direct, Jack will be useless but if you want to keep the ball on the floor, and you need someone really creative, Jack will be the player who can do that.”

Jeez, McCarthy must be completely changing the whole fabric of how we play then...

His record doesn't inspire much confidence. He has only played 6 games in the championship 4 for Blacburn who had signed him on a season long loan which they promptly cancelled after seeing him play. He was signed by Wigan on a two and a half year deal and only played for them twice. He has only played for his Cyprus club five times. He sounds like one of those really talented youngsters who for whatever reason never made it.

Not saying MM can't revive his career but on the basis of past performance it sounds unlikely. Wonder if Apoel will want a transfer fee for him or just be glad to get him off the wage bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    His record doesn't inspire much confidence. He has only played 6 games in the championship 4 for Blacburn who had signed him on a season long loan which they promptly cancelled after seeing him play. He was signed by Wigan on a two and a half year deal and only played for them twice. He has only played for his Cyprus club five times. He sounds like one of those really talented youngsters who for whatever reason never made it.

Not saying MM can't revive his career but on the basis of past performance it sounds unlikely. Wonder if Apoel will want a transfer fee for him or just be glad to get him off the wage bill.
    He was injured for much of the time in Cyprus apparently. Mick has worked with him already so presumably would know what he's getting.
    Wages shouldn't be high should they?

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Just had a google on him and this article from a few days ago popped up from when patrick vieira was academy manager at man city.

https://punditarena.com/football/rud...ra-jack-byrne/

He said: “If you want to play direct, Jack will be useless but if you want to keep the ball on the floor, and you need someone really creative, Jack will be the player who can do that.”

Jeez, McCarthy must be completely changing the whole fabric of how we play then...
    He's our cheap Barry Bannan.

Sounds LIKE a player we could use, stop us bypassing midfield. Not to say what he will or won't be until he signs and kicks a ball.. Chances are it's all 2+2=6 speculation and a lazy link

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Maybe he needs to find his spiritual home, ie:---- A lot of loving.
    No point him coming to us then and especially not looking on either message board if he is a sensitive soul 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Looks incredible in the league of ireland (yeah i know)

youtube.com/watch?v=efGitkiCdMs
    I know right.

But some of the goalkeeping 👀🙈🤣🤣

It’s getting like Fred Carno’s army.

This would be worse than signing Jonny Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    This would be worse than signing Jonny Williams.
    or it could be better

Tomlin part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    or it could be better
    Byrne is 25 and hasn't played football at a decent level for almost three years. The chances of him being a good signing for a Championship club are minuscule.

Let's be fair our standard of signings has improved since Warnock left. Last summer we brought in Moore, and had Wilson, Osei-Tutu, Phillips and Ojo on loan. Best not to mention Benkovic! McCarthy has only signed Williams which proved not to be the best signings, but he has given chances, due to injuries, to Bagan, Sang, Brown and Colwill. Ng was a good signing too. At least MM is looking at younger talent with a point to prove, and Wintle from Crewe who is looking to step up. I imagine Byrne would be a cheap signing, in wages too, and would be a fringe player but MM knows him and probably believes he can make him a better player.

I would disregard most of his early career, by all accounts he had some off field issues. Going back to Ireland clearly helped in that regard and by the time his contract ran out it was obvious he was going to play at a higher level.

His Cyprus experience is a strange one - Mick was sacked about 3 days after he signed, Apoel had one of their worst ever seasons, and he got injured fairly quickly. So it hasn't really worked out for him, although the coach has spoken highly of him several times.

That said, I've seen him play live in the Europa League and he has real quality. His dead ball delivery is superb, he can pick out a pass, and he isnt afraid to put himself about.

Apoel are skint right now so I think he could be available for a low fee or even free, and I think he'd be worth a punt on that basis - especially for a manager he knows and trusts.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I would disregard most of his early career, by all accounts he had some off field issues. Going back to Ireland clearly helped in that regard and by the time his contract ran out it was obvious he was going to play at a higher level.

His Cyprus experience is a strange one - Mick was sacked about 3 days after he signed, Apoel had one of their worst ever seasons, and he got injured fairly quickly. So it hasn't really worked out for him, although the coach has spoken highly of him several times.

That said, I've seen him play live in the Europa League and he has real quality. His dead ball delivery is superb, he can pick out a pass, and he isnt afraid to put himself about.

Apoel are skint right now so I think he could be available for a low fee or even free, and I think he'd be worth a punt on that basis - especially for a manager he knows and trusts.

Good post

That sounds more encouraging.

👍

Trouble is if you disregard his early career when he had issues and his later career when he had injuries there is not a lot else left. His spell at Shamrock Rovers maybe but what standard of football is that? maybe National league here and I suspect that might be pushing it. He might just be able to turn him round but given his previous it would be a minor miracle.