+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marley Watkins on trial

Marley Watkins on trial

Can't say I'm too excited about this one!

https://www.footballinsider247.com/s...-bristol-city/

Re: Marley Watkins on trial

Thought he'd been done for drink driving or some other crime, by the fierce headline.

Like a bloody SUN reporter

Nothing to lose having a look.

I have to admit I've never heard of any player called Marely, other than Bob Marely who allegedly was a half decent player.

https://youtu.be/wuJo90RwkVs

Someone's had a mare!

Seems a bit pointless.
    Enough reserve strikers haven’t we ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Nothing to lose having a look.

I have to admit I've never heard of any player called Marely, other than Bob Marely who allegedly was a half decent player.

https://youtu.be/wuJo90RwkVs
    Stop horsing about!!!!

Can't say he sounds to exciting sounds like a squad filler type journeyman. I would rather give some of the exciting young prospects in our youth set up a chance than get in this type of player. He is being released by Bristol City as they don't regard him as good enough and at 30 he isn't going to get any better.

Possibly this bloke and the Irish guy should really be looking for clubs in league one or two,they are certainly not the sort of players a club in the championship with playoffs ambitions should be making.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Can't say he sounds to exciting sounds like a squad filler type journeyman. I would rather give some of the exciting young prospects in our youth set up a chance than get in this type of player. He is being released by Bristol City as they don't regard him as good enough and at 30 he isn't going to get any better.

Possibly this bloke and the Irish guy should really be looking for clubs in league one or two,they are certainly not the sort of players a club in the championship with playoffs ambitions should be making.
    I agree Shrewsbury.

Marley has never been blessed with decent pace and the one thing we need to improve in the squad is pace.

If we are going to go for 30 year old free transfer wingers..... There are much better ones available.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I agree Shrewsbury.

Marley has never been blessed with decent pace and the one thing we need to improve in the squad is pace.

If we are going to go for 30 year old free transfer wingers..... There are much better ones available.
    Wonder who you're thinking of there! The fact of the matter is that Watkins couldn't get in a wurzels team that was probably the worst in the Championship over the second half of last season - if our ambition is still a top six finish, there's been nothing in Watkins' career so far to indicate he is at that level.

Hopefully it is some arrangement with someone at the club allowing him to train with us whilst he's looking for a club, he's no where near what we need if the club has serious intentions to aim for a top 6 finish

He was a real good player a few years ago at Barnsley. Not sure why his career has gone backwards at Brizzle
    No harm in having a look at him on trial. Unfortunately this is the market we are in at the moment

Considering he's not yet signed for us, he's not yet played for us and we've not yet seen how he's used over the course of a season it's difficult to make a proper assessment.

Really good squads aren't made with exciting signing after exciting signing. But we do seem to be relying more on staff member's contacts in the game again - who has the links to Crewe? - which makes me question what scouting operation we have at the club?

Followed his career since he was a kid as he is my ex boss's son. Seemed to have his best spell playing in Scotland and then Barnsley straight after. However that was 4 or 5 years ago and he didn't kick on from there. At 30 I'd be surprised if we offer him a deal but it could be a case of last chance saloon at this level so who knows?

MM must have his doubts re fitness to have him on trial. If a manager really wants a player he just goes out and signs him, so probably hasn't seen much of him to make a judgement , as he barely played last season. Imagine being back up to Josh Murphy!

What would be the point in signing a bang average 30 year old? Makes me think the talk about bringing through youth was bollocks...

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    What would be the point in signing a bang average 30 year old? Makes me think the talk about bringing through youth was bollocks...
    Can't bring to many youth through all at once or would rather us play loads of youngsters so we get beaten every week?
    You would probably love that it will give you something else to moan about

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Seems a bit pointless.
    Enough reserve strikers haven’t we ?
    Isn't he one of those players that's actually a wide player but gets thought of as a striker because he's a unit?

The youth talk is because we are cutting our cloth. It's amazing how people are fooled by it, the timing is suspicious too, like we're all of a sudden focused on bringing through youth players. Are we ****. We're skint, adn that's the only reason we'll see kids in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    The youth talk is because we are cutting our cloth. It's amazing how people are fooled by it, the timing is suspicious too, like we're all of a sudden focused on bringing through youth players. Are we ****. We're skint, adn that's the only reason we'll see kids in the team.
    I know

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Can't bring to many youth through all at once or would rather us play loads of youngsters so we get beaten every week?
    You would probably love that it will give you something else to moan about
    Do you think Marley Watkins would improve the starting 11?

I know
    I mentioned it because reading this board it seems not everyone does. Plenty on here seemed excited by the direction the club were going in, without realising why.

Was Watkins the trialist who played 2nd half?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I mentioned it because reading this board it seems not everyone does. Plenty on here seemed excited by the direction the club were going in, without realising why.
    TBH I am just glad I've got a footie team to support.
    Like every team in the league, we are skint, relying on wealthy owners who have had a rough time during the pandemic.
    I think we will be ok this year, as many are worse off, but its difficult to see us challenging the teams just down from the Prem, who have their parachute payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    TBH I am just glad I've got a footie team to support.
    Like every team in the league, we are skint, relying on wealthy owners who have had a rough time during the pandemic.
    I think we will be ok this year, as many are worse off, but its difficult to see us challenging the teams just down from the Prem, who have their parachute payments.
    I think we will be OK, and I welcome any youngsters that play whatever the reasoning, but the narrative coming out of the club, in my opinion anyway, seemed to suggest that there would be a focus on youth etc, and I found that to be like a politicians lie tbh, selling it as something they had planned to do, when let's be honest it's been forced on them. Mick is here cos he can work with a small budget, and the small budget is why we will see youth, not because the club all of a sudden decided that was our new direction. Plenty on here seemed to fall for it getting excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Was Watkins the trialist who played 2nd half?
    Looked like him