+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Best and worst of Euros 2020/21 (with focus on the 22 not in the final)

Best and worst of Euros 2020/21 (with focus on the 22 not in the final)

I assume tomorrow onwards will be dominated by talk of Italy and England so, if possible, this thread aims to discuss the other 22 teams before their ride is overshadowed by the final.

A tournament which will be remembered by it's unusual format - Switzerland travelled the furthest, 15,485km (9,622 miles), while Scotland clocked up the shortest at 1,108km - the impact of covid and some really, really good football.

Potential questions:

1. Which was your favourite game of the tournament so far?
    2. Who do you think the player of the tournament has been so far?
    3. Which players do you think will get big moves off the back of their tournament success?
    4. Which surprising player has caught your eye and is one to watch out for now?
    5. Which team do you think got most out of being a "host nation"?
    6. Which team do you think got least out of it?
    7. Which "non host nation" do you think has managed that role the best and which the worst?
    8. Who or what has been the biggest disappointment?
    9. Who do you think is most primed for success at later tournaments?
    10. Who gets the "Goran Pandev Award" for a really top player we're, sadly, not going to see at another tournament?
    11. Which has been your favourite stadium and favourite fanbase?

Feel free to answer or add your own

Basically I want a chance to comment on how well Switzerland and Czechia have done and how poorly France and Netherlands did before it all becomes about one team

Re: Best and worst of Euros 2020/21 (with focus on the 22 not in the final)

Im really suprised how many good games there have been and how much ive enjoyed this tournament. Im not really a big fan of international footballl but ive enjoyed this tournament more than any other since 82 when I was very young and loved that Brazil side.

Not sure on best game. So many. If Italy win id say Chelllini player of the tournament.

Pedri looks as though he could take over from Messi and Ronaldo and be the next big star.

I think Isak of Sweden will get a PL move.

England no doubt have an advantage playing at home but I think they would have got to the final anyway but its a big advantage tomorrow.

Biggest disappointment was our performances.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I assume tomorrow onwards will be dominated by talk of Italy and England so, if possible, this thread aims to discuss the other 22 teams before their ride is overshadowed by the final.

A tournament which will be remembered by it's unusual format - Switzerland travelled the furthest, 15,485km (9,622 miles), while Scotland clocked up the shortest at 1,108km - the impact of covid and some really, really good football.

Potential questions:

1. Which was your favourite game of the tournament so far? Spain v Italy
    2. Who do you think the player of the tournament has been so far? Kieffer
    3. Which players do you think will get big moves off the back of their tournament success?That Danish kid
    4. Which surprising player has caught your eye and is one to watch out for now? this is about the same question as 2 and 3
    5. Which team do you think got most out of being a "host nation"?guess !!!!!!!
    6. Which team do you think got least out of it? Wales
    7. Which "non host nation" do you think has managed that role the best and which the worst? Swiss, best
    8. Who or what has been the biggest disappointment? Disappointed with VAR in Ingurlund's semi
    9. Who do you think is most primed for success at later tournaments?
    10. Who gets the "Goran Pandev Award" for a really top player we're, sadly, not going to see at another tournament?
    11. Which has been your favourite stadium and favourite fanbase?

Basically I want a chance to comment on how well Switzerland and Czechia have done and how poorly France and Netherlands did before it all becomes about one team

Potential questions:

1. Which was your favourite game of the tournament so far? Wales vs Turkey
    2. Who do you think the player of the tournament has been so far? Sterling but for the purposes of this, Pedri
    3. Which players do you think will get big moves off the back of their tournament success? Locatelli
    4. Which surprising player has caught your eye and is one to watch out for now? As above
    5. Which team do you think got most out of being a "host nation"? England
    6. Which team do you think got least out of it? Scotland
    7. Which "non host nation" do you think has managed that role the best and which the worst? Switzerland/Turkey
    8. Who or what has been the biggest disappointment? France
    9. Who do you think is most primed for success at later tournaments? England
    10. Who gets the "Goran Pandev Award" for a really top player we're, sadly, not going to see at another tournament? Lewandoski
    11. Which has been your favourite stadium and favourite fanbase? Stadium's hard to say from the tv, always got a soft spot for Dutch fans

Potential questions:

1. Which was your favourite game of the tournament so far? Belgium v Italy
    2. Who do you think the player of the tournament has been so far? Got to love what Pedri did for Spain as such a young player and a side unfancied before the tournament. Georginio Wijnaldum did a lot for the Dutch before one bad mistake confirmed that De Boer's side went home early. They were a Van Dijk and a better manager away from making the semi-finals.

3. Which players do you think will get big moves off the back of their tournament success? Jérémy Doku showed some really nice flashes in his brief cameo
    4. Which surprising player has caught your eye and is one to watch out for now? Sommer as Switzerland's goalie
    5. Which team do you think got most out of being a "host nation"? I'd argue that Germany progressed because of being a host nation and therefore got the most out of it
    6. Which team do you think got least out of it? Spain.

7. Which "non host nation" do you think has managed that role the best and which the worst? Czechia beat Scotland, lost by a single goal to England and were only non-host nation to knock out a host-nation. France did not enjoy being in a long camp together and would have done much better without the travel and being able to stay in more comfortable surroundings.
    8. Who or what has been the biggest disappointment? France went from being one of the most complete sides to having a tournament to forget
    9. Who do you think is most primed for success at later tournaments? If Spain can find a striker (and keep Enrique as manager) they're looking good while Germany move on from their disappointing final years under Lowe and need to find a CB combination - both are primed to be better going forward
    10. Who gets the "Goran Pandev Award" for a really top player we're, sadly, not going to see at another tournament? Cheeky mention for Benzema who came in to late so could have been more a disruption than not (and has off the field issues still in play) while Modric is getting older and Croatia are in a down period
    11. Which has been your favourite stadium and favourite fanbase? Parken Stadium in Copenhagan North Macedonia fans or Switzerland fans or at least that one with their top off

Still haven't mentioned all the teams I want to mind...

1. Turkey v Wales, but there were two fantastic games in a day - Croatia v Spain and France v Switzerland.
    2. Very left field, but Yann Sommer was a very good goalkeeper for Switzerland.
    3. Isak.
    4. A fair few French players surprised me for the wrong reasons, Pedro as far as this question goes.
    5. Whoever wins tomorrow.
    6. Hungary - none of the sides in the so called group of death got beyond the last eight, so the standard wasn’t as high as first thought.
    7. Switzerland and it has to be Turkey.
    8. France and, given what the pundits were saying pre tournament, Turkey.
    9. England, Italy and Denmark.
    10. Bale?
    11. Copenhagen and the Scots fans at Wembley.

I think Marek Hamšík is the answer to which top player won't be at another tournament.

Bit of a soft spot for Slovakia after playing them relatively frequently in recent years (and games being more pleasurable than the Irish games) I struggle to see them in next World Cup.

Austria were largely disappointing, though put up a good fight against Italy, and Poland too. It was a real shame that Finland's big day got overshadowed in such a scary way and Ukraine ended their good run on a big defeat.

I'll change my answer and agree that Turkey were biggest disappointments of the tournament seeing as they didn't win a game and almost didn't score a goal.