+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Grujic to Porto for £11 million

Grujic to Porto for £11 million

Former City midfielder Marko Grujic is reportedly on his way from Liverpool to Porto this week in a permanent deal for a fee of £11 million. To me, that puts some of the figures quoted in the press in relation to Harry Wilson into perspective.

At 25, Grujic is a year older than Wilson. He's spent two full seasons in the Bundesliga with Hertha Berlin and a season on loan at Porto which was apparently interrupted by injury. Porto were runners-up in the Primeira Liga in 2020/21, finishing five points behind Sporting. Grujic made eight Champions League appearances last season, including a start in Porto's 1-0 victory over eventual winners Chelsea.

If Liverpool are willing to sell Grujic for £11 million, what price Wilson?

Re: Grujic to Porto for £11 million

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Former City midfielder Marko Grujic is reportedly on his way from Liverpool to Porto this week in a permanent deal for a fee of £11 million. To me, that puts some of the figures quoted in the press in relation to Harry Wilson into perspective.

At 25, Grujic is a year older than Wilson. He's spent two full seasons in the Bundesliga with Hertha Berlin and a season on loan at Porto which was apparently interrupted by injury. Porto were runners-up in the Primeira Liga in 2020/21, finishing five points behind Sporting. Grujic made eight Champions League appearances last season, including a start in Porto's 1-0 victory over eventual winners Chelsea.

If Liverpool are willing to sell Grujic for £11 million, what price Wilson?
    Wilson is British, that alone seems to inflate transfer fees, at least domestically.

Bit controversial , I'd love to sign Grujic for £11 million before Wilson for £15 million .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bit controversial , I'd love to sign Grujic for £11 million before Wilson for £15 million .
    I'd prefer grujic to wilson, full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, no contest.

Neither were that great given their transfer value.

I wouldn't

Never got the hype with Grujic

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Never got the hype with Grujic
    Because of his lack of goals and assists?

I thought he was class and we were a better team with him in it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

he was promising, but not outstanding at this level (although still very young).
    11m seems like a bit of a bargain, but he couldn't get into the Porto team for much of last season, in a pretty weak league. that has probably dissuaded any interest from premier League teams and once you take that out of the equation the price will inevitably drop.

I can still see Wilson going to a premier League side, which adds a few million to the asking price.

I'd be happy to see either here of course. if we can get Wilson back it'll be our best business of the transfer window.

I'd take Wilson for £11 million. What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'd take Wilson for £11 million. What say you?
    if we had that to spend, sure.

I'm pretty sure we don't

Wilson is British, that alone seems to inflate transfer fees, at least domestically.
    Generally pay more for forwards than deeper midfielders too

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Generally pay more for forwards than deeper midfielders too
    I'd say bar keepers, they're probably the least valuable players in the transfer market now. Centre halves and full backs go for loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I'd say bar keepers, they're probably the least valuable players in the transfer market now. Centre halves and full backs go for loads.
    why are we hoarding them then?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

Because he didn’t stick out in a average team. Shooting non existent, not particularly fast just swept the ball to the easiest option

I'm prepared to be hung by the masses, but I don't think that Wilson does enough. Undoubted natural ability and vision, but doesn't quite fancy it when we have to tough it out, which is inevitable at our club, I'd even go as far to say that at times, he has the body language that says that he's too good to do the shitty work. People might say that he's not that type of player, fair enough, but I'd say that's why he's knocking about with the likes of us.

A comparison can be made with Whittingham. As much ability as Wilson, fantastic vision, the ability to put a ball in places other players could only dream of, but, like Wilson, his work rate and ambition was questionable. There's no doubt in my mind that Whittingham was a premier League footballer, as is Wilson in terms of natural ability, but, I don't think that he has that desire and willingness to do it. Time will tell.

I'm prepared to be hung by the masses, but I don't think that Wilson does enough. Undoubted natural ability and vision, but doesn't quite fancy it when we have to tough it out, which is inevitable at our club, I'd even go as far to say that at times, he has the body language that says that he's too good to do the shitty work. People might say that he's not that type of player, fair enough, but I'd say that's why he's knocking about with the likes of us.

A comparison can be made with Whittingham. As much ability as Wilson, fantastic vision, the ability to put a ball in places other players could only dream of, but, like Wilson, his work rate and ambition was questionable. There's no doubt in my mind that Whittingham was a premier League footballer, as is Wilson in terms of natural ability, but, I don't think that he has that desire and willingness to do it. Time will tell.
    put Wilson in a Dave Jones side and he would have been one of the players of the season and Liverpool would have no problem selling him off to a premier League side.

he got the joint 3rd highest number of assists in the league, behind Buendia and Olise, who have already both been sold to premier League teams.
    they both had a lot more of the ball to play with than Wilson had, die to the way we approach the game.
    Buendia for example received the ball 3 times as often as we managed to get the ball to Wilson.
    Harvey Elliott - who had the same number of assists as Wilson - got the ball twice as often.

I don't agree with Whitts but I 100% agree with Wilson. Harris always got the blame for Wilson's performances and Wilson got away with murder. Wilson is a cracking player when he wants to be but he can be so anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    why are we hoarding them then?
    Well, in 12 months time we'll only have one

In 12 months time, we'll have about 5 pros.

Didn't Warnock once waste the best part of a transfer window waiting for the chance to get Grujic back? Hope we're not about to do the same with Wilson / Ojo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    put Wilson in a Dave Jones side and he would have been one of the players of the season and Liverpool would have no problem selling him off to a premier League side.

he got the joint 3rd highest number of assists in the league, behind Buendia and Olise, who have already both been sold to premier League teams.
    they both had a lot more of the ball to play with than Wilson had, die to the way we approach the game.
    Buendia for example received the ball 3 times as often as we managed to get the ball to Wilson.
    Harvey Elliott - who had the same number of assists as Wilson - got the ball twice as often.
    Fair points. I don't know anything about the players you've mentioned, so I can't compare. The question I would ask, I what was their work rate and attitude like, because I think that Wilson fails in that department, and I would be surprised if a premier League club who are probably looking at survival would be prepared to take a chance on him. He's been knocking about long enough for me to think that he's not trusted enough to do the hard work. I like him, he's got loads of quality, is that going to be enough- I'm not so sure. Remind me when he has a storming season and runs the show; I'll gladly eat my words.

Fair points. I don't know anything about the players you've mentioned, so I can't compare. The question I would ask, I what was their work rate and attitude like, because I think that Wilson fails in that department, and I would be surprised if a premier League club who are probably looking at survival would be prepared to take a chance on him. He's been knocking about long enough for me to think that he's not trusted enough to do the hard work. I like him, he's got loads of quality, is that going to be enough- I'm not so sure. Remind me when he has a storming season and runs the show; I'll gladly eat my words.
    Buendia is one of the better players to have played at this level, similar position to Wilson and has been capped for Argentina - was a big surprise Norwich were able to keep him last season. just signed for villa for up to £38 million

olise is a young Attacking midfielder from Reading, who has just gone to Palace for 8million. that seems to be a low fee for a talented player - I think reading have some financial issues otherwise it could have been a lot more.

Harvey Elliott is a 17 year old that Liverpool poached from Fulham who was on loan at Blackburn and had an excellent season. there are very big hopes for him in the future.