+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 184

Thread: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

  1. #121

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Southgate did well to get England to the final, but totally bottled it in the final itself. He got all that pace at his disposal on the bench, but never utilised it. Chiellini and Bonucci are no spring chickens, but really had an easy night. Sancho and Rashford could have really put the frighteners on them if Southgate had been more positive! Big opportunity missed by England!
    Bizzare having a youngster like Saka taking the fifth penalty also. Fair play to the lad for having the guts to take it though. He deserves support not criticism!

  2. #122

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Rio Ferdinand anointing England the winners after Spain v Italy. They really never learn
    Meh. I actually quite liked that. It was obviously tongue in cheek but still good to see something other than the boring " there are some good teams left in it" stuff. I don't see it as arrogance really, just a pundit trying to do something different.

    England were really, really good in this competition. They didn't quite deserve to win it, Italy did. But the best two teams made it to the final which is a nice change; and this England team have a long way to go yet. Luke Shaw was absolutely phenominal for the entire tournament and Kane looked like a world class player for a lot of the game today.


    I am as relieved as the next man that they didn't actually win it but I have a lot of sypmpathhy for them too. I suspect they will be there or thereabouts in Qatar.

  3. #123

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Meh. I actually quite liked that. It was obviously tongue in cheek but still good to see something other than the boring " there are some good teams left in it" stuff. I don't see it as arrogance really, just a pundit trying to do something different.

    England were really, really good in this competition. They didn't quite deserve to win it, Italy did. But the best two teams made it to the final which is a nice change; and this England team have a long way to go yet. Luke Shaw was absolutely phenominal for the entire tournament and Kane looked like a world class player for a lot of the game today.


    I am as relieved as the next man that they didn't actually win it but I have a lot of sypmpathhy for them too. I suspect they will be there or thereabouts in Qatar.
    Not so sure about Kane. He shrank from the second half, and by extra time seemed to be barely on the pitch. That was when he was most needed. I feel he let himself down, and maybe Sterling too. Others in the England team rose to the occasion.

  4. #124

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not so sure about Kane. He shrank from the second half, and by extra time seemed to be barely on the pitch. That was when he was most needed. I feel he let himself down, and maybe Sterling too. Others in the England team rose to the occasion.
    Kane did more work in midfield than as a striker. All the talk of wing backs and getting ball in the box, did I hear correctly that Kane didn't have a single touch of the ball in Italy's box? Cant be right surely?

  5. #125

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Feel sorry for Southgate, the decent players in the England squad ......which is the ones who don't dive and the decent , ordinary England fans especially young kids who were probably in tears .

    But shearer , that bloody guy Mowbray, the press and the hangers on can all naff right off

    Kane , Grealish etc are diving ponces always trying to kid the ref, as is sterling

  6. #126

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Meh. I actually quite liked that. It was obviously tongue in cheek but still good to see something other than the boring " there are some good teams left in it" stuff. I don't see it as arrogance really, just a pundit trying to do something different.

    England were really, really good in this competition. They didn't quite deserve to win it, Italy did. But the best two teams made it to the final which is a nice change; and this England team have a long way to go yet. Luke Shaw was absolutely phenominal for the entire tournament and Kane looked like a world class player for a lot of the game today.


    I am as relieved as the next man that they didn't actually win it but I have a lot of sypmpathhy for them too. I suspect they will be there or thereabouts in Qatar.
    Kane is a con artist always looking for a free kick , he's a cheat

  7. #127

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    All this talk of England's approach, isn't the truth that Italy won because they had slightly better players and were the slightly better side?

    Right from their first game when they demolished a much fancied Turkish team, Italy have looked the best team in the tournament to me with the only doubt being whether they could maintain what was a high intensity pressing game. The answer to that question was kind of I suppose, because they were not as physically dynamic as the tournament came into its closing stages, but they had the ability to cope with that and more.

    I'm glad England lost, but the time when us non English brits will have to put up with them winning a tournament could well be not too far away, although I do wonder if Rice and Phillips have it in them to be influential players at the very top level of the international game.

    Feel very sorry for those who missed penalties with the good thing being I suppose that no single player has to carry the can like Southgate had to in 1996. I wouldn't be too critical of those who didn't want to be among the first five penalty takers because the first requirement surely is that the taker has to feel fairly comfortable about being under such intense pressure, but having the teenager Saka down as fifth on the list does look odd given that it is so often the most crucial penalty of the lot.

  8. #128

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Don’t think Southgate should have waited until the end if extra time to bring rashfird and sancho on, Italy’s old centre backs were tiring and they were under no pressure second half, in fact Italy were all over them. He changed nothing until it was too late. Sterling was quiet and saka not great…..A missed opportunity

  9. #129

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All this talk of England's approach, isn't the truth that Italy won because they had slightly better players and were the slightly better side?
    I think it's a bit of both. Italy deservedly took the trophy and were the better side. But a better tactician than Southgate would have reacted after the first 10 minutes of the second half, when it was becoming obvious that Mancini was pinning his wingbacks.

    England's advantage was speedy, tricky players (they have them coming out of their ears in this squad) against an Italian defence that was experienced but not young. The centreback partnership had an average age of 35. But although the game was a draw, the Italians had twice as much possession and took three times as many shots.

    In the group stage, England seemed to finish every game with only two or three shots on target, but did a lot better in the quarters and semis. Overall, and in the final, I think it's fair to say that England didn't make the most of the area where they were strongest.

  10. #130

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Kane did more work in midfield than as a striker. All the talk of wing backs and getting ball in the box, did I hear correctly that Kane didn't have a single touch of the ball in Italy's box? Cant be right surely?
    Which is similar to what he did at Spurs for most of the season. But his partnership with Son was brilliant, particularly in the first two thirds of the season. He wasn't bringing Mount, Saka or Sterling into the game this time. I don't think it was a world class performance.

  11. #131

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Feel sorry for Southgate, the decent players in the England squad ......which is the ones who don't dive and the decent , ordinary England fans especially young kids who were probably in tears .

    But shearer , that bloody guy Mowbray, the press and the hangers on can all naff right off

    Kane , Grealish etc are diving ponces always trying to kid the ref, as is sterling
    He was the reason they lost. Southgate negativity got what it deserved.

  12. #132

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All this talk of England's approach, isn't the truth that Italy won because they had slightly better players and were the slightly better side?

    Right from their first game when they demolished a much fancied Turkish team, Italy have looked the best team in the tournament to me with the only doubt being whether they could maintain what was a high intensity pressing game. The answer to that question was kind of I suppose, because they were not as physically dynamic as the tournament came into its closing stages, but they had the ability to cope with that and more.

    I'm glad England lost, but the time when us non English brits will have to put up with them winning a tournament could well be not too far away, although I do wonder if Rice and Phillips have it in them to be influential players at the very top level of the international game.

    Feel very sorry for those who missed penalties with the good thing being I suppose that no single player has to carry the can like Southgate had to in 1996. I wouldn't be too critical of those who didn't want to be among the first five penalty takers because the first requirement surely is that the taker has to feel fairly comfortable about being under such intense pressure, but having the teenager Saka down as fifth on the list does look odd given that it is so often the most crucial penalty of the lot.
    No the truth was Southgate was the difference. Not good enough and tactically inept. He cost England this game.

  13. #133

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think it's a bit of both. Italy deservedly took the trophy and were the better side. But a better tactician than Southgate would have reacted after the first 10 minutes of the second half, when it was becoming obvious that Mancini was pinning his wingbacks.

    England's advantage was speedy, tricky players (they have them coming out of their ears in this squad) against an Italian defence that was experienced but not young. The centreback partnership had an average age of 35. But although the game was a draw, the Italians had twice as much possession and took three times as many shots.

    In the group stage, England seemed to finish every game with only two or three shots on target, but did a lot better in the quarters and semis. Overall, and in the final, I think it's fair to say that England didn't make the most of the area where they were strongest.
    Particularly bearing in mind said centre-backs were also both on yellow cards for a large part of the game.

  14. #134

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    He was the reason they lost. Southgate negativity got what it deserved.
    I agree with this. They had the right talent, skills & opportunities but never used them.

  15. #135

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Think Rashford is lucky to be lumped in with sancho and saka. Rashford is an experienced penalty taker who seemed to decide to treat todays penalty as a joke. Feel for Sancho and Saka, never should have been put into that position by Southgate, the pair of them showed real balls and will hopefully have an arm put round them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Yes, I too feel sorry for the young lads who were brave enough to take the penalties. However you could see Rashford's miss coming with that ridiculous sort of shimmy. England had everything going for them - a home game at Wembley with 60,000 fans against Italy's 6,000. Also this was the first really good team they have encountered in the whole tournament. Imagine the situation if the game had been in Rome!
    Sums it up perfectly.

    Rashfords ridiculous run-up (stroll-up?) put the players after him under enormous pressure.
    Hero to Zero.

  16. #136

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Sums it up perfectly.

    Rashfords ridiculous run-up (stroll-up?) put the players after him under enormous pressure.
    Hero to Zero.
    To be fair rashford hit the post , it was a good penalty that beat the keeper
    4 inches the other way ......

  17. #137

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    To be fair rashford hit the post , it was a good penalty that beat the keeper
    4 inches the other way ......
    If you do that, you have to hit the target. That's the absolute minimum.

  18. #138

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    To be fair rashford hit the post , it was a good penalty that beat the keeper
    4 inches the other way ......
    Yea but 4 inches to the left and he would have missed even further.

  19. #139

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Kane is a con artist always looking for a free kick , he's a cheat
    He's not a lot different to Kieffer in that regard

    It's good when he's playing for you

  20. #140

    Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

    Ref needed some praise yesterday letting game flow and no nonsense on going down easily

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •