+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Think it was 19 attempts on goal to 6 in the end in favour of Italy. England got off to a great start and Italy were certainly rattled, but they grew into the game from about 30 mins and really controlled the game from that point forward.
    I hope we get more analysis of how amazing Italy have done in this tournament from tomorrow onwards rather than more about England.

Italy beat three of FIFA's top 10 in the World and beat two of those without one of the player's of the tournament in Spinazolla. They also beat England at Wembley in front of a crowd with Chiesa (another player of the tournament contender) going off injured with significant part of the game left to play and were the only side to win two penalty shoot-outs.

They didn't even qualify for last World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I hope we get more analysis of how amazing Italy have done in this tournament from tomorrow onwards rather than more about England.

Italy beat three of FIFA's top 10 in the World and beat two of those without one of the player's of the tournament in Spinazolla. They also beat England at Wembley in front of a crowd with Chiesa (another player of the tournament contender) going off injured with significant part of the game left to play and were the only side to win two penalty shoot-outs.

well said.

England failed to beat a top 10 side in 90 minutes. So did Wales.

I think England have got a huge amount right this tournament - a lot of credit goes to Ian Mitchell who was sports psychologist for Wales in 2016 - and go into next World Cup as favourites, and probably win it. I think the rest of Europe is looking at Italy and England as the teams to learn from.
    England had a lot go for them this tournament including some of the traditionally stronger teams shooting themselves in the foot. Granted, they'll be there or thereabouts in the next ten years but France and Germany will be back, Spain are getting better and the Netherlands should improve. Also Wales, of course. They won't get a better chance than this, all told.

Better side won , Southgate tactics and decisions were pretty woeful in this game .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There might have been a team decision. It also could have been that players who wanted to have a go got the nod and other players backed away.
    I meant the order of the penalty takers. The fifth penalty is already sudden death, so why plan to put such an inexperienced player in that situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Is there still a bank holiday tomorrow?
    In Italy yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I meant the order of the penalty takers. The fifth penalty is already sudden death, so why plan to put such an inexperienced player in that situation?
    Golden boy Grealish shat his pants.
    As did Sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Better side won , Southgate tactics and decisions were pretty woeful in this game .
    They started off pretty well to be fair! Playing the entire game with two against three in midfield was baffling though.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    They started off pretty well to be fair! Playing the entire game with two against three in midfield was baffling though.
    Yeah, but Mancini got to grips with it and Italy dominated the second half and created the better chances. Southgates reluctance may have got them to the final, but it sure as hell lost them it.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I don't agree with this. England were excellent and had this game ended after 45 mins they would have been worthy winners. Italy ground them down. They were wonderful in the group stages, but had England won the tournament it wouldn't have felt wrong at all.

Winner of the tournament tho was the refs. Felt like a step back towards sensible reffing.

Great competition. Loved it. Bring on the next one
    Not sure about that, they started well but from around 25 minutes Jorginho & Verratti got on the ball and completely controlled everything. England had 7 defensive players on the pitch so they were always going to be hard to break down.

I've no idea why he took Rice off and I've no idea how Phillips wasn't booked for persistent fouling. Mancini showed his superior quality as a manager whilst Southgate seemingly resorted to just throwing attackers on.

It was nice to see the ref not fall for Kane's antics too often

I have got a lot of time for Southgate and this team. They are a good bunch. Already twitter morons are giving the likes of Rashford and Sancho a hard time. They don’t deserve that.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Golden boy Grealish shat his pants.
    As did Sterling.
    Grealish being lauded by the pundits as if he’s the new Messi. Jermaine jenas on the BBC commentary actually said excitedly “here we go” as soon as he got the ball and nothing happened.
    They set themselves up every time.

having 3 kids taking pens was unwise and you have to feel for them.

Italian midfield after ht was classy and bossed the game and their capt a real warrior.

best team won.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Grealish being lauded by the pundits as if he’s the new Messi. Jermaine jenas on the BBC commentary actually said excitedly “here we go” as soon as he got the ball and nothing happened.
    grealish looks a big pansy with that hairband and did feck all.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Rio Ferdinand anointing England the winners after Spain v Italy. They really never learn

Think Rashford is lucky to be lumped in with sancho and saka. Rashford is an experienced penalty taker who seemed to decide to treat todays penalty as a joke. Feel for Sancho and Saka, never should have been put into that position by Southgate, the pair of them showed real balls and will hopefully have an arm put round them.

Yes, I too feel sorry for the young lads who were brave enough to take the penalties. However you could see Rashford's miss coming with that ridiculous sort of shimmy. England had everything going for them - a home game at Wembley with 60,000 fans against Italy's 6,000. Also this was the first really good team they have encountered in the whole tournament. Imagine the situation if the game had been in Rome!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Really, I think he’s great, even his cynical foul was a shirt tug rather than Phillips’ stamp, which wasn’t given, on Chiesa.
    I love Chielini too. Great player and so much character in his face. He could have been a Roman centurion. Probably up there with Beckenbauer as being one of my favourite defenders of all time.

More chance of pink snow tomorrow
    Frank Lampard is the only one I've heard so far give them credit.
    All I've heard is England dominated the first half (no they didn't) and should have scored more. They were on top for the first 15 minutes then equal for the next 15 then for the rest of the game it was only going to be one winner and it wasn't England
    The best team of the tournament and the final won

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Rio Ferdinand anointing England the winners after Spain v Italy. They really never learn
    🙈

Southgate did well to get England to the final, but totally bottled it in the final itself. He got all that pace at his disposal on the bench, but never utilised it. Chiellini and Bonucci are no spring chickens, but really had an easy night. Sancho and Rashford could have really put the frighteners on them if Southgate had been more positive! Big opportunity missed by England!
    Bizzare having a youngster like Saka taking the fifth penalty also. Fair play to the lad for having the guts to take it though. He deserves support not criticism!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Meh. I actually quite liked that. It was obviously tongue in cheek but still good to see something other than the boring " there are some good teams left in it" stuff. I don't see it as arrogance really, just a pundit trying to do something different.

England were really, really good in this competition. They didn't quite deserve to win it, Italy did. But the best two teams made it to the final which is a nice change; and this England team have a long way to go yet. Luke Shaw was absolutely phenominal for the entire tournament and Kane looked like a world class player for a lot of the game today.

I am as relieved as the next man that they didn't actually win it but I have a lot of sypmpathhy for them too. I suspect they will be there or thereabouts in Qatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Meh. I actually quite liked that. It was obviously tongue in cheek but still good to see something other than the boring " there are some good teams left in it" stuff. I don't see it as arrogance really, just a pundit trying to do something different.

England were really, really good in this competition. They didn't quite deserve to win it, Italy did. But the best two teams made it to the final which is a nice change; and this England team have a long way to go yet. Luke Shaw was absolutely phenominal for the entire tournament and Kane looked like a world class player for a lot of the game today.

I am as relieved as the next man that they didn't actually win it but I have a lot of sypmpathhy for them too. I suspect they will be there or thereabouts in Qatar.
    Not so sure about Kane. He shrank from the second half, and by extra time seemed to be barely on the pitch. That was when he was most needed. I feel he let himself down, and maybe Sterling too. Others in the England team rose to the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not so sure about Kane. He shrank from the second half, and by extra time seemed to be barely on the pitch. That was when he was most needed. I feel he let himself down, and maybe Sterling too. Others in the England team rose to the occasion.
    Kane did more work in midfield than as a striker. All the talk of wing backs and getting ball in the box, did I hear correctly that Kane didn't have a single touch of the ball in Italy's box? Cant be right surely?

Feel sorry for Southgate, the decent players in the England squad ......which is the ones who don't dive and the decent , ordinary England fans especially young kids who were probably in tears .

But shearer , that bloody guy Mowbray, the press and the hangers on can all naff right off

Kane , Grealish etc are diving ponces always trying to kid the ref, as is sterling