+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 1 ITALY. Italy win on pens

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Ahead of who? One of the players of the tournament in Chiesa? Insigne who's had a wonderful season with Napoli? Serie A winner Barella?

English teams and players are hugely overhyped. Foden's a good player but he doesn't "walk into" the best team at the tournament. Had England been on the other side of the draw they'd have been knocked out well before the final
    I watched the start of one of those Match of the Day programmes where Alan Shearer and Micah Richards rank ten candidates with Gary Lineker having a casting vote if needed this morning. It was made before the tournament started and the subject was candidates to be Player of the competition. Foden was on the shortlist and maybe he might have lived up to such a billing if his shot had not rebounded back into play off the inside of a post after just five minutes of the opening match with Croatia, but it didn't and that seemed to sum up the next few weeks for him - with the comparisons with 1966 that the media are so fond off, I suppose it could be said that Foden was a little bit like Jimmy Greaves in 1966.

Despite all of the plaudits and the hype, I'm not wholly convinced by the much of the spine of the England team - Pickford doesn't seem as error prone playing for England as he is with Everton mind and Kane has added a new dimension to his game this season which I believe now makes him one of the best in the world in his position, but central defence and central midfield? I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    As soon as England lost there would be questions on negative selection.

Foden walks into the Italian team. Doesnt even kick the ball in the final. England have better strikers who didnt even make the plane than Immobile and Belotti.

Grealish Sancho Saka etc all bit part players.

The Italians deserved the win , England have had a superb tournament and been edged out. We will never know what would have happened if say theyd played 1 DM and added another attacking player.
    Foden was injured

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I watched the start of one of those Match of the Day programmes where Alan Shearer and Micah Richards rank ten candidates with Gary Lineker having a casting vote if needed this morning. It was made before the tournament started and the subject was candidates to be Player of the competition. Foden was on the shortlist and maybe he might have lived up to such a billing if his shot had not rebounded back into play off the inside of a post after just five minutes of the opening match with Croatia, but it didn't and that seemed to sum up the next few weeks for him - with the comparisons with 1966 that the media are so fond off, I suppose it could be said that Foden was a little bit like Jimmy Greaves in 1966.

Despite all of the plaudits and the hype, I'm not wholly convinced by the much of the spine of the England team - Pickford doesn't seem as error prone playing for England as he is with Everton mind and Kane has added a new dimension to his game this season which I believe now makes him one of the best in the world in his position, but central defence and central midfield? I'm not sure.

Maybe it’s better movement, but I find Ingurlish players, play better with their foreign teammates alongside them (club football)

This is and always will be their problem, fantastic players at club level, mediocre at international level.

Kane is a cheat

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If they lose there will be carnage all over England tonight. A full day on the piss and more disappointment will be the catalyst for major disorder.
    "Euro 2020: Warning over spikes in domestic abuse during England matches | The Independent" https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...64404.html?amp

You'd think it was only after Wales rugby matches if you read this board, but England football fans as well...

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    "Euro 2020: Warning over spikes in domestic abuse during England matches | The Independent" https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...64404.html?amp

You'd think it was only after Wales rugby matches if you read this board, but England football fans as well...
    and England rugby fans, and old firm football fans, and people who go to office Christmas parties.
    the problem is related to alcohol rather than the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    and England rugby fans, and old firm football fans, and people who go to office Christmas parties.
    Yes, that's what the article basically says.

Black Friday anyone?

They've really shit the bed with this final, crap performance and quite rightly getting absolutely slated by all media today for the fans behaviour... predictable twats.. Rio Ferdinand - never want to hear that guys opinions on anything ever again!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    As soon as England lost there would be questions on negative selection.

Foden walks into the Italian team. Doesnt even kick the ball in the final. England have better strikers who didnt even make the plane than Immobile and Belotti.

Grealish Sancho Saka etc all bit part players.

The Italians deserved the win , England have had a superb tournament and been edged out. We will never know what would have happened if say theyd played 1 DM and added another attacking player.
    England did not have a superb tournament
    They had barely any travelling apart from one game which was against a team who were out on their feet after playing extra time in the last 16.
    They had a final at home against a team who had some injuries to key players and had to beat Belguim and Soain to get there.
    Apart from 20 minutes at the start of the match they were clearly the better team
    Phil Foden does not walk into their team
    He is a good player but really is over hyped

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    England did not have a superb tournament
    They had barely any travelling apart from one game which was against a team who were out on their feet after playing extra time in the last 16.
    They had a final at home against a team who had some injuries to key players and had to beat Belguim and Soain to get there.
    Apart from 20 minutes at the start of the match they were clearly the better team
    Phil Foden does not walk into their team
    He is a good player but really is over hyped
    What's lack of traveling got to do with having a good tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Maybe it’s better movement, but I find Ingurlish players, play better with their foreign teammates alongside them (club football)

This is and always will be their problem, fantastic players at club level, mediocre at international level.

Kane is a cheat
    They made the semis of the last World Cup and lost the final of the euros on penalties. They aren’t perfect but they are a lot better than mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    They made the semis of the last World Cup and lost the final of the euros on penalties. They aren’t perfect but they are a lot better than mediocre.

It’s about opinions.
    Once they came up against a top team, they lost.

They got there with an outrageous pelanty.

They drew against Scotland, without threatening a goal.

They were lucky against Croatia

They are not that good.

What's lack of traveling got to do with having a good tournament?
    It means they had the easiest route of anytime in the tournament.
    Less travelling time means more training and recovery time.
    It's not hard to understand
    It was more of a factor in this tournament as it was spread over so many countries
    England only had to leave London once

It means they had the easiest route of anytime in the tournament.
    Less travelling time means more training and recovery time.
    It's not hard to understand
    It was more of a factor in this tournament as it was spread over so many countries
    England only had to leave London once
    Italy had a great tournament because they won it. How far did they travel?

It’s about opinions.

They are not that good.
    you can think about it in more than one way.

you could say they had their best European championships ever, only missing out on winning the whole thing by a couple of penalty kicks To a team who haven't lost in 34 games. with a very young squad that will only get better. they only conceded one goal in open play in the entire tournament.
    in successive tournaments they've finished 4th, 3rd and now 2nd.

on the other hand they got to play almost all their matches at home, had no important injuries or suspensions to contend with. an extremely favourable draw in the competition, and they still didn't win anything. their manager is still to slow to react when another team are dominating the ball.

when the dust settles it should go down as a good tournament for them though.

some pundits are already talking about them dominating for the next 10 years though, which is extremely premature.
    sure, they COULD - especially if the manager corrects his shortcomings (and retains his strengths). but they won't keep getting favourable draws, or avoiding injuries to key players, and the next world cup will be very hot which might not suit them.

Italy had a great tournament because they won it. How far did they travel?

Really?
    After the group games they played all the 4 knock out games outside Italy
    They knockout Spain and Belgium
    Ranked 6 and top in the rankings on neutral grounds.
    England beat Germany ranked 12 at home
    Only game away from home was against Ukraine ranked 24th
    Italy beat England in the final in England
    Is that enough reasons for you to see the difference between the good and average?
    Anything else you need explaining I'm happy to oblige

It’s about opinions.

They are not that good.
    If England are mediocre, what does that make the 22 teams who didn't make the final?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    If England are mediocre, what does that make the 22 teams who didn't make the final?
    So the finalist in the fa Cup are the best teams?
    If England had met France/Italy/Belgium in the last 16 that would have been as far as they went.

So the finalist in the fa Cup are the best teams?
    If England had met France/Italy/Belgium in the last 16 that would have been as far as they went.
    No, 'mediocre' is the key word. England are clearly not mediocre.

I predicted that France would beat England in the last 16, but can you really say France 'would' have won? In hindsight, now we know that Switzerland knocked them out, I don't think so.

No, 'mediocre' is the key word. England are clearly not mediocre.

I predicted that France would beat England in the last 16, but can you really say France 'would' have won? In hindsight, now we know that Switzerland knocked them out, I don't think so.
    France should have beaten the Swiss.
    But being France they got lazy thinking it was all done at 3-1 then came unstuck.
    If England played France tomorrow I know who I would put my money on.

But being France they got lazy thinking it was all done at 3-1 then came unstuck.
    on the other hand, Italy were the best team in the tournament and needed penalties to beat England.
    England could have beaten or lost to any of the other to sides

None of that means England are mediocre.

on the other hand, Italy were the best team in the tournament and needed penalties to beat England.
    England could have beaten or lost to any of the other to sides
    Agreed Italy were worthy winners.
    But apart from the early goal when England caught them cold do you think England looked like scoring?
    Only one team was trying to win it in extra time and it wasn't England

None of that means England are mediocre.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=me...ile-gws-wiz-hp

I stand by what I said !

As pointed out above, only meaningful shot on goal, was in the 2nd minute.