+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orange card

Orange card

There needs to be a card between yellow and red in which the offending player is sent off but can be replaced.

Re: Orange card

hard disagree.

however there should be reward cards for if you do something really good

International

Why not use a sin bin? It works in other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why not use a sin bin? It works in other sports.
    I think sometimes referees are reluctant to issue a red card because it would transform the match too much. Worse, they won't hand out a second yellow card, settling instead for a 'talking to.' If they had the orange option they would use it. The sin bin would work, but it's a bit foreign to football. The football tradition has always been that if it's bad enough you get the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    There needs to be a card between yellow and red in which the offending player is sent off but can be replaced.
    I like it, good idea

Why not have penalty goals? similar thing works well in rugby, goal awarded and yellow card for perpetrator.

I can't see any downsides and would stop a game being ruined after X minutes by a side losing a player.

how about each yellow card also comes with a 10 minute sin binning
    would make some players think twice about those cynical fouls on half way

I would be in favour of a sin bin. It works well in rugby (but then so does TMO) and a soft or incorrect red card ruins games too often.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Philo2 View Post
    Why not have penalty goals? similar thing works well in rugby, goal awarded and yellow card for perpetrator.

I can't see any downsides and would stop a game being ruined after X minutes by a side losing a player.
    But penalty tries in Rugby are only awarded for a repeated offence to stop the opposition scoring a particular try, or for a blatant foul to prevent a try and this last one football already has with the last man ruling.
    Sin binning can be applied across the field of play, and as Rjk says, a 10 minute binning for a yellow would certainly concentrate minds.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But penalty tries in Rugby are only awarded for a repeated offence to stop the opposition scoring a particular try, or for a blatant foul to prevent a try and this last one football already has with the last man ruling.
    Sin binning can be applied across the field of play, and as Rjk says, a 10 minute binning for a yellow would certainly concentrate minds.
    Football by its nature is different to rugby, it's much easier to put 9 men behind ball and see out a sin bin than it is in rugby (I heard its worth 7 in rugby on average)

The last man rule in football often means a game is ruined, for me a penalty goal would reward the attacking team but stop the rest of game being spoiled, also remember Suarez in the world cup qualifier?

I have always advocated a sin bin approach since the general acceptance of the "professional foul" seems to have crept into the game, especially when a player is pulled down when running close to the penalty area.

In Aussie rules the referees immediately give free kicks to the opposing team if they experience any ill-discipline, often overturning free kicks and giving the other way if players give any verbal abuse or start fighting.

They also have a 50m penalty can is used for kicking the ball away, fighting etc.

I'd like to see some variations of these rules piloted.

The thing with red cards are is depending when you do them depends how harsh the punishment is, when really that's a bit unfair.

If you get sent off for punching someone in the 1st it's a much bigger negative than doing it in the 90th.

Im not sure what the answer is,

penalty goals could work but would only probably happen a couple of times a season as unless it's handball on the line or keeper taking someone out there's no guarantee.

Id quite like to see free kicks inside the box for non obvious goal scoring fouls.

What part of the pitch?

Brown card - forced to take a strong laxative and continue playing
    Pink card - Forced to play the remainder of the game in your mums high heels
    Tie Dyed Card - take a handful of magic mushrooms and play on
    Grey Card - forced to play in a pair of corduroy slacks, knitted cardigan and slip on loafers.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    The thing with red cards are is depending when you do them depends how harsh the punishment is, when really that's a bit unfair.

If you get sent off for punching someone in the 1st it's a much bigger negative than doing it in the 90th.

Im not sure what the answer is,

penalty goals could work but would only probably happen a couple of times a season as unless it's handball on the line or keeper taking someone out there's no guarantee.

Id quite like to see free kicks inside the box for non obvious goal scoring fouls.
    Hard to score inside box as couldn’t hit over a wall so end up hammering them through crowds of players

Players with good disciplinary records should be presented with an Amazon gift voucher at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Why ? Whats the point. The rules need to be simplified not made even more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why ? Whats the point. The rules need to be simplified not made even more complicated.
    you're getting a mauve and green card for your negative attitude

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    What part of the pitch?
    Using the same definition there is now for issuing a straight red for stopping a goal-scoring opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Players with good disciplinary records should be presented with an Amazon gift voucher at the end of the season.
    Brilliant idea. £10 of credit for every foul they didn't commit during the season?

What about discouraging diving? I think instead of booking players for diving, they are given a t-shirt with "cheat" written on it (or a picture of a John Terry or whatever) and they have to wear that over their shirt. The opposition is allowed one free foul tackle on that player i.e. they can kick him/her up in the air with no consequence. Once that's happened to the referee's satisfaction the t-shirt is removed and the game then continues as normal.

If you take a knee, do you get accused of playing the Race Card??

Using the same definition there is now for issuing a straight red for stopping a goal-scoring opportunity.
    Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    hard disagree.

however there should be reward cards for if you do something really good
    Good idea.

I think that there should be different colour cards they can collect from the referee for the different skills, assists and goals.

They should then be allowed to trade cards so see who can get the 'full set'.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Agreed