+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Orange card

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Orange card

Why not have penalty goals? similar thing works well in rugby, goal awarded and yellow card for perpetrator.

I can't see any downsides and would stop a game being ruined after X minutes by a side losing a player.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Philo2 View Post
    Why not have penalty goals? similar thing works well in rugby, goal awarded and yellow card for perpetrator.

I can't see any downsides and would stop a game being ruined after X minutes by a side losing a player.
    But penalty tries in Rugby are only awarded for a repeated offence to stop the opposition scoring a particular try, or for a blatant foul to prevent a try and this last one football already has with the last man ruling.
    Sin binning can be applied across the field of play, and as Rjk says, a 10 minute binning for a yellow would certainly concentrate minds.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But penalty tries in Rugby are only awarded for a repeated offence to stop the opposition scoring a particular try, or for a blatant foul to prevent a try and this last one football already has with the last man ruling.
    Sin binning can be applied across the field of play, and as Rjk says, a 10 minute binning for a yellow would certainly concentrate minds.
    Football by its nature is different to rugby, it's much easier to put 9 men behind ball and see out a sin bin than it is in rugby (I heard its worth 7 in rugby on average)

The last man rule in football often means a game is ruined, for me a penalty goal would reward the attacking team but stop the rest of game being spoiled, also remember Suarez in the world cup qualifier?