+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are Engerland so crap at pelantys?

Why are Engerland so crap at pelantys?

.....or more to the point, I hope any Italians in London keep safe tonight!

Re: Why are Engerland so crap at pelantys?

Why let a 19 year old kid take your 5th one - surely someone like grealish should have been in the top 5 or Sterling?

Also why bring players on just to take a penalty?
    It’s pressure enough without knowing the only reason you are on the pitch is to take one kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Also why bring players on just to take a penalty?
    It’s pressure enough without knowing the only reason you are on the pitch is to take one kick.
    The funny thing is, after a shootout defeat you normally hear fans saying "why didn't he bring on X in the 119th minute for the shootout".

I'm quite glad this happened. It shows there is a reason why experienced managers don't do this.

International

There goes our extra bank holiday then!

How sad..............

These players are professional players, Champions League winners and Premier League winners amongst them. It’s their job, it’s what they do, practising with a ball all week , playing in front of hostile grounds all over the place. Taking penalties shouldn’t be a problem for them. Age doesn’t even enter into it. If you’re good enough, you’re okd enough.

Blame cannot be laid at the doorstep of Rashford, Sancho or Saka, the senior players were too scared they might harm their reputations in they missed, so the reason is probably England players can’t handle the pressure. Senior players in that squad should hang their heads in shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Blame cannot be laid at the doorstep of Rashford, Sancho or Saka, the senior players were too scared they might harm their reputations in they missed, so the reason is probably England players can’t handle the pressure. Senior players in that squad should hang their heads in shame.
    Southgate chose the penalty takers, based on who was best in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Why let a 19 year old kid take your 5th one - surely someone like grealish should have been in the top 5 or Sterling?
    My mate said they both said no to taking one in the huddle

Can’t believe no credits gone to the goalkeeper who did very well

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    .....or more to the point, I hope any Italians in London keep safe tonight!
    What I can't understand is......

Those were three dreadful penalties but:

1. They MUST have practiced and planned in some detail for a penalty shoot so how come all three were SO poor (especially Rashford's! ).
    2. How come everyone seems to be above criticism - Southgate and the three players concerned?

England did really well in the tournament and have clearly improved but, like the last World Cup, lost to the first really good team that they faced.

And yet there is zero criticism of anyone - constructive criticism is actually a good thing and will probably help in the long term, but all that everyone is saying is how well they did. That penalty shoot out was a fiasco, aside from Pickford making two very decent saves, so where is the objectivity?

Just bizarre.

So much for Henderson being a leader. He'd rather let a 19 year old step up and take it than be man enough to do it himself

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    So much for Henderson being a leader. He'd rather let a 19 year old step up and take it than be man enough to do it himself
    he was subbed off wasn't he?

Henderson got taken off before pens

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Southgate chose the penalty takers, based on who was best in training.
    He said that whether its completely true is another matter. I can see why he wanted Sancho and Rashford on to make the penalty line up stronger but if Grealish and Sterling demanded to be in the 1st 5 I find it difficult to believe they would have been left out by the manager.

Think its a mental thing not strong minded like some countries who seem more single minded .

I find the selections of penalty takers very bizarre .

Southgate's pragmatic approach to this game was very poor ( up until now though he'd got it right ) after scoring so early a lesson has to be learned , what a waste of an opportunity , Pickford on so many occasion had no one to throw it too upfield in an attacking positions very talented forward players such as Lewin, Bellingham Sancho , James , Grealish ,Rashford just left on the bench or brought on so late in the name of safety first , dreadful tactics .

Some of their fans are simply appalling individuals ( well actual vile scum )

In the end I wanted Italy to win because of all of the above and I have a deep family connections to England .

Hopefully World football will now come out and say that England's chances for hosting 2030 will not be considered due to the safety and respect of people around the world .

Maguire and Kane clearly good at penalties and Rashford usually good but not sure he'd kicked a ball before taking a pen. Sancho also fits that description.

I wouldn't have had Saka as 5th (Rashford a better option?) but Pickford was probably the 6th choice judging by past penalty records.

Donnarumma and Italy are also very good at penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Maguire and Kane clearly good at penalties and Rashford usually good but not sure he'd kicked a ball before taking a pen. Sancho also fits that description.

I wouldn't have had Saka as 5th (Rashford a better option?) but Pickford was probably the 6th choice judging by past penalty records.

Donnarumma and Italy are also very good at penalties.
    Italy werent very good yesterday they missed 2.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think its a mental thing not strong minded like some countries who seem more single minded .

I find the selections of penalty takers very bizarre .

Southgate's pragmatic approach to this game was very poor ( up until now though he'd got it right ) after scoring so early a lesson has to be learned , what a waste of an opportunity , Pickford on so many occasion had no one to throw it too upfield in an attacking positions very talented forward players such as Lewin, Bellingham Sancho , James , Grealish ,Rashford just left on the bench or brought on so late in the name of safety first , dreadful tactics .

Some of their fans are simply appalling individuals ( well actual vile scum )

In the end I wanted Italy to win because of all of the above and I have a deep family connections to England .

Hopefully World football will now come out and say that England's chances for hosting 2030 will not be considered due to the safety and respect of people around the world .
    Even if they were the best penalty takers in training, then they simply have to deliver (not easy I know!) otherwise why bother? But for ALL three to then fail so miserably has to raise questions surely? (It wasn't like Donnarumma made three great saves after all....)

But apparently not. Just really, really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Henderson got taken off before pens
    If Henderson had stepped up in training and wanted to take responsibility I'm sure he wouldn't have been subbed off.

If Henderson had stepped up in training and wanted to take responsibility I'm sure he wouldn't have been subbed off.
    He was probably taken off to make sure he didnt take one seeing as how he wouldnt let Calvert Lewin take one the other day and he then missed.

Completely different taking them in training though isn't it? Southgate heaped pressure on Sancho & Rashford, hardly a surprise they missed as they had barely touched the ball! Its exactly why other managers don't do it. Fair play to Saka for taking the responsibility, but an experienced head needs to take that, regardless of how good he is in training

They dished the knighthoods and awards out a bit early didn’t they?
    Rashford will have to go back to telling the prime minister and elected government how to run the country then I suppose .

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Rashford will have to go back to telling the prime minister and elected government how to run the country then I suppose .
    Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Let's hope so.