+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: stutter run-ups

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: stutter run-ups

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    for penalties. is it just me or do they miss more often than they score?
    I wish they'd stop doing them.

also when teams sub on players at the end of extra time, just to take penalties they always seem to lose
    Players using the hesitation method trade in the power aspect. If the keeper guesses the right side to dive then there's a better chance he can keep it out. It was certainly the common denominator last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Players using the hesitation method trade in the power aspect. If the keeper guesses the right side to dive then there's a better chance he can keep it out. It was certainly the common denominator last night.
    It's supposed to take a keepers guess out of the equation. The taker should be able to react to seeing him move and choose the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's supposed to take a keepers guess out of the equation. The taker should be able to react to seeing him move and choose the other side.
    Of course. It would be interesting to see some stats as to how well it works in practice as a split-second assessment has to be made by the penalty taker.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    We're nearing the point where keepers are wise to it though, so it loses the effect. Pickford knew exactly what Jorginho was going to do so just waited until he hit the ball

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We're nearing the point where keepers are wise to it though, so it loses the effect. Pickford knew exactly what Jorginho was going to do so just waited until he hit the ball
    It's more than skill, it's a battle of mental nerve and game theory.

Ever since I saw Pete Hooper bang them in back in the sixties (still probably the hardest shots I have ever seen) and Ronnie Bird doing the same a few years later I have always preferred the hit it as hard as possible in the corner method.