+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Covid to ruin the "integrity of the competition" in the domestic game in 21/22?

Covid to ruin the "integrity of the competition" in the domestic game in 21/22?

With our new business friendly Health Secretary insisting the threat of the 100,000 new cases a day he predicted may happen in the coming weeks will not effect "Freedom day" next week and the UK Government insisting there will be no more lockdowns, you have to wonder if this will have any impact on sporting events and domestic football in particular.

The current round of county cricket matches has seen Kent have to pick a well under strength side for their match with Sussex after the selected eleven were forced to self isolate after positive Covid tests in their camp. Today, the game between Derbyshire and Essex was abandoned after one day's play because of a positive test on one of the home side's players.

This is happening with new cases per day being just under a third of the level it's suggested they could rise to and there are eighteen county cricket sides. Therefore, it would seem to follow that with their being more than five times as many teams in the top levels of the English game (not to mention the ones in Scotland and Welsh leagues) and a big rise in new cases per day predicted, are we going to see quite a few first elevens (or substantial parts of them) being told to self isolate every week?

If the Kent v Sussex match becomes any sort of precedent, we could see sides having to field teams full of Under 23 or Academy players or will we see fixture piles up created of the type which cost Rotherham dear last season? Even if the Welsh Government were to allow all parts of Cardiff City Stadium to be open for matches next month, it may be that there will be no game or a mismatch for us to watch or on any given weekend.

Re: Covid to ruin the "integrity of the competition" in the domestic game in 21/22?

I think that's inevitable even if clubs try to enforce bubbles to reduce the chances of their players catching it. However, a better approach than last season is needed as the logjam of fixtures Rotherham ended up with effectively relegated them and saved a corrupt club from relegation.

Re: Covid to ruin the "integrity of the competition" in the domestic game in 21/22?

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I think that's inevitable even if clubs try to enforce bubbles to reduce the chances of their players catching it. However, a better approach than last season is needed as the logjam of fixtures Rotherham ended up with effectively relegated them and saved a corrupt club from relegation.
    I agree, the precedent caused by the Kent v Sussex match (I see one of the members of the Kent "second eleven" has now had to drop out as well after being told to self isolate) suggests that the thinking may shift to getting games played rather than waiting for the first team to be available and then you start getting into the whole integrity of the competition thing - six months ago, I'd say nearly everyone was expecting things to be back to normal on the football front for 21/22, but it's not going to be happening is it.

I thought fully vaccinated people wouldn’t need to isolate from 16th August (assuming all of our players have had two doses). Or has this changed?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57733276

Our first three games could be disrupted, but the team should be free from self-isolation by the time we play Peterborough on the 17th.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamsarnie View Post
    I thought fully vaccinated people wouldn’t need to isolate from 16th August (assuming all of our players have had two doses). Or has this changed?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57733276

Our first three games could be disrupted, but the team should be free from self-isolation by the time we play Peterborough on the 17th.
    Any 'freeing up' of restrictions on the 19th will be short-lived. By mid September the Government will bow to pressure from the BMA & SAGE to re-impose measures, including large 'gatherings'. No ST for me.

Why are all these Sportsmen contracting the virus? That is what is needed to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Why are all these Sportsmen contracting the virus? That is what is needed to be addressed.
    Close contact sport. Regularly tested its hardly a shock. With rising numbers there will be more testing positive.

[QUOTE=Hilts;5205802]Close contact sport. Regularly tested its hardly a shock. With rising numbers there will be more testing positive.[/QUOT

I can understand that but there has to be a starting point, if they're all in a bubble how does it affect them?

[QUOTE=Cleve van Leef;5205818]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Close contact sport. Regularly tested its hardly a shock. With rising numbers there will be more testing positive.[/QUOT

I can understand that but there has to be a starting point, if they're all in a bubble how does it affect them?
    Dont know but with 92 league clubs those players wont be in their own bubble. There is bound to be disruption. Who chooses who isolates. A Scotland player tested positive and England players isolated. How come the Scots didnt.

Tyson Furys fight is off as him and 10 members of his team tested positive.

The England cricket team have just had to select a new side for the ODI series.

I wonder what happens if a key Derby player tests positive.?

[QUOTE=Hilts;5205823]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post

....I wonder what happens if a key Derby player tests positive.?
    A sudden localized blizzard?