+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Racists

Re: Racists

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Can't understand how you won't see it. You are treating her differently because of her Asian heritage.
    You're obviously staunchly anti racist . Right up until the point that someone from an ethnic minority gets a bit 'uppity', at which point the first thing you mention is her ethnic background. The fact you mention that ridiculous term 'whataboutery' suggests you have no capacity for debate or introspection
    I wouldn't say that 'whataboutery' is a ridiculous term. It perfectly encapsulates a technique people sometimes use to try to deflect or discredit an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I wouldn't say that 'whataboutery' is a ridiculous term. It perfectly encapsulates a technique people sometimes use to try to deflect or discredit an argument.
    It's generally used to try and shut down debate by eliminating the introduction of context to a discussion. In this case, 'whataboutery' has been chucked in to try to deflect personal criticism

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

How did this get published?
    Because its priti Patel and she's a tory. Vile racist imagery is fine aslong as its aimed at a tory woman. Quick read of this thread will confirm that !

With England shirt fresh out of the packet. The bandwagon jumping didn’t last long.

It's generally used to try and shut down debate by eliminating the introduction of context to a discussion. In this case, 'whataboutery' has been chucked in to try to deflect personal criticism
    Clearly it depends on how it's actually used. But it can accurately describe an attempt to avoid having to directly refute an argument by instead attempting to divert and discredit. This actually happens a lot in my experience.

Because its priti Patel and she's a tory. Vile racist imagery is fine aslong as its aimed at a tory woman. Quick read of this thread will confirm that !
    is that racist imagery?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    is that racist imagery?
    My thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    is that racist imagery?
    On 2nd look probably not tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

How did this get published?
    Why shouldn’t it be?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I can fully understand where you are coming from and we have discussed this before .

Patel is as guilty of playing politics as those she says as doing so by taking the knee .

Who is she to tell black footballers or black people what they should do ?

I think not agreeing with the knee is fine but booing it is in my opinion showing peoples true colours , if you will pardon the expression

As for taking direct action against racists not everybody has the confidence and physical ability to do that as again we have discussed before .

If racists were arrested in greater numbers and put before the courts and given stiff sentences then that , as in other crimes , might deter some , but as you suggest there will always be racists as there will always be murderers , it can never be stopped

Kick It Out has done very little , the clubs and the authorities do very little although I have to say the two times I have grassed on racist cardiff city fans , once at Ninian Park and once at Scarborough when I witnessed a fellow fan spit in the face of an opposition player simply warming up on the touchline ff sake .......the police were brilliant and nicked and charged them both ......

Taking the knee is certainly brought the subject closer to the spotlight than stamp out racism signs and kick it out . I think its set to stay following the latest crap these young lads have had to put up with , whether Patel likes it or not

I wonder if they will catch the offenders , and it appears there were many and if they will be locked up ?

I hope they do but I very much doubt they will face prison . Its certainly what they deserve .
    We have discussed this before many times Sludge, and whilst our views on the subject slightly differ, i do respect your opinions on most things (except your musical tastes),
    I also understand that those of a quieter nature and smaller build might not want to confront a few neanderthal racist slobs at a game, or anywhere else for that matter.
    The thing that irks me though, is right down through history, minorities have caused chaos all over the world, The majority of folk of all nationalities, are caring, loving, peaceful people. Are we going to let minorities run wild and roughshod forever, and only condemn them from a distance?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Listened to this just now. There are many other black people out there with these views and I can never understand it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRSQzOSJ...dium=copy_link
    you are no doubt aware that slavery has always plagued mankind, from the year dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    you are no doubt aware that slavery has always plagued mankind, from the year dot.
    I no doubt am.

Agree. Conquerors through history have enslaved oppressed people for their benefit. Recent examples are the Nazis and the Soviets. It's not a zero sum game though surely. The later generations of enslaved people have a right to remember the injustices exercised on their ancestors and seek to make the world they are growing up in a better place?

But the slavery of American Americans still have modern day consequences...

Someone is missing the point, as usual...

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Agree. Conquerors through history have enslaved oppressed people for their benefit. Recent examples are the Nazis and the Soviets. It's not a zero sum game though surely. The later generations of enslaved people have a right to remember the injustices exercised on their ancestors and seek to make the world they are growing up in a better place?
    Thats all of us then.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post

Pavlovs dogs.

It wasn't me who first raised the point so you're criticising the wrong person.

And I'm well aware the concept of slavery resonates far more in the USA, where the constitution crumbled under the weight of its own contradictions within 80 years of drafting

Thats all of us then.
    Not sure. What was the latest generation of your family to be enslaved?

Feedback

Not sure. What was the latest generation of your family to be enslaved?
    I meant that at some point all of our ancestors are likely to have been enslaved at some point.

I meant that at some point all of our ancestors are likely to have been enslaved at some point.
    And I meant the recency of our ancestors enslavement is likely to have a greater impact on their view of the impact of slavery on their cultural lives.

Feedback

And I meant the recency of our ancestors enslavement is likely to have a greater impact on their view of the impact of slavery on their cultural lives.
    Of course. How many do you know have had ancestors within say 6 generations enslaved?

International

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post

you mean as opposed to non-american americans?

Of course. How many do you know have had ancestors within say 6 generations enslaved?
    Me none. Given the American Civil War was 160 years ago I guess its a tricky answer for most people. Yet those generations of people still have that as a reference point. Do you think that it's because their "freedom" didn't quite work out as they hoped whilst your ancestors enslavement by the Vikings or whoever has wafted away?

Feedback

Me none. Given the American Civil War was 160 years ago I guess its a tricky answer for most people. Yet those generations of people still have that as a reference point. Do you think that it's because their "freedom" didn't quite work out as they hoped whilst your ancestors enslavement by the Vikings or whoever has wafted away?
    Bizarre you reference the US civil war which is 6-8 generations ago, yet in living memory we have had whole populations being enslaved elsewhere on the planet.

What is so special about the US civil war?

Bizarre you reference the US civil war which is 6-8 generations ago, yet in living memory we have had whole populations being enslaved elsewhere on the planet.

What is so special about the US civil war?
    You gave me this challenge:

The six generations fitted (bizarrrely)just the other side of your narrative. I mentioned the Soviets and the Nazis in my earlier posts. Who are the other populations in living memory enslaved elsewhere on the planet that you have previously shown some human sympathy for?

Feedback

You gave me this challenge:

The six generations fitted (bizarrrely)just the other side of your narrative. I mentioned the Soviets and the Nazis in my earlier posts. Who are the other populations in living memory enslaved elsewhere on the planet that you have previously shown some human sympathy for?
    With estimates of 36-48m people worldwide currently enslaved, today we have more slaves than any time in history.

There are far too many to mention, but recently we have seen Yazidi women enslaved, it's common place in Mauritania, and prevalent throughout sub saharan Africa.