+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Thread: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

  1. #41

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Johnny Verallo, very popular man around Splott and Tremorfa, hell of a character. Speaking to his doctor at a first thing in the morning appointment, while the doctor was examining him he was asking him questions, ‘Do you drink Mr Verallo?’ to which Johnny replied while looking at his watch, ‘ Well it’s a bit early for me doctor but if you’re having one’.

  2. #42
    First Team light up the darkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City/Radyr
    Posts
    2,213

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Stephen & Gary Pesticcio
    I used to know a Ricky Pesticcio in the early 80s think he was a plasterer /builder

  3. #43

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    I’ve got Bezani’s in my heritage.

  4. #44

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    This thread reminds me of growing up in Mountain Ash in the 50's/60's. We didn't have cafes then, we had Bracchi's! Does anyone remember Charlie Bracchi's just down Oxford Street near the Mount bridge? I can still see the green glass topped tables and the noise of the huge steam generator (with the big metal eagle on the top) which made the "frothy coffee" - cappuccino was unheard of.

  5. #45

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Marenghi's in Pontypridd, gone now. Used to go with my nan when I was lucky enough to carry her shopping bags from somerfield to the taxt, then from the taxi to the kitchen. Cake and a cuppa tea full of milk and sugar was my reward. And 50p for the shop.


    Cafe Royal is still there - Giovanni Francesco Orsi at the age of thirteen travelled to South Wales to work for the Bracci family in Cafe Royale. Giovanni eventually inherited Café Royale which was then passed down to his son who in turn passed it down to his own sons who are the current owners and operators, Marco & Giovanni Orsi.



    Princes - The Gambarini family. Best ham salad roll about. And the custard slices...

  6. #46

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    [QUOTE=dembethewarrior;5206084]Marenghi's in Pontypridd, gone now. Used to go with my nan when I was lucky enough to carry her shopping bags from somerfield to the taxt, then from the taxi to the kitchen. Cake and a cuppa tea full of milk and sugar was my reward. And 50p for the shop.

    You're welcome

  7. #47

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    [QUOTE=binman;5206126]
    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Marenghi's in Pontypridd, gone now. Used to go with my nan when I was lucky enough to carry her shopping bags from somerfield to the taxt, then from the taxi to the kitchen. Cake and a cuppa tea full of milk and sugar was my reward. And 50p for the shop.

    You're welcome
    Some great memories from there, milk frother used to scare living daylights out of me first few times I went in

  8. #48

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Who could forget the Positano in Church Street in Cardiff!
    Waldo was the owner. I used to go in there in a push chair in the ‘70s.

  9. #49

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Who's the guy that owned topo gigio on church Street?
    Tony something?
    Always in the paper when Wales were playing Italy or City doing well.

  10. #50

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Cafe Citta just across St Mary Street from there, opposite The Old Arcade I'm pretty sure is Italian owned, the wife is British.
    Don't know his surname.

    Tiny place but fantastic pizza.
    Nice one 👍

  11. #51

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Nice one 👍
    No problem at all Sludge.

    Word of warning though, based on your post regarding the sweltering heat forecast.

    The place is quaint but tiny and if you were thinking of booking a table in the near future for you and your latest squeeze and are unlucky enough to be put on a table near the pizza oven, then think again.

    I went there with some friends a couple of years back in the middle of winter and we were sat at the said table.

    The perspiration secreted was worse than a glass blower's arsehole!

  12. #52

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    that tiny cafe next to the multi storey , opposite the city Arms

    I think that was Italian owned , don't know if its still there
    Casanova's?

  13. #53

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    The Welsh Italians was a documentary show a while ago on the BBC.
    The presenter was a third generation settler in Merthyr and explored the migration to and impact on the valley towns of the Italians.
    You can probably find it on the iplayer

  14. #54

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No problem at all Sludge.

    Word of warning though, based on your post regarding the sweltering heat forecast.

    The place is quaint but tiny and if you were thinking of booking a table in the near future for you and your latest squeeze and are unlucky enough to be put on a table near the pizza oven, then think again.

    I went there with some friends a couple of years back in the middle of winter and we were sat at the said table.

    The perspiration secreted was worse than a glass blower's arsehole!
    Everythings in hand

  15. #55

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Who's the guy that owned topo gigio on church Street?
    Tony something?
    Always in the paper when Wales were playing Italy or City doing well.
    That was Tony Venditto , not from Bardi. I played some Sunday football up front with him for city supporters in thel late 70's ,then he went to a team in the same league Cardiff Italians . He wasn't that good , but one day the Echo had a piece on an Italian trialist down at Ninian . Very exotic and exciting back then , except it was Tony and obviously never went further .He was good at self promotion.
    He was a waiter back then and worked his way up to being owner of several restaurants in Cardiff. There are some different stories from there .

  16. #56

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Quote Originally Posted by Random in Duquesa View Post
    That was Tony Venditto , not from Bardi. I played some Sunday football up front with him for city supporters in thel late 70's ,then he went to a team in the same league Cardiff Italians . He wasn't that good , but one day the Echo had a piece on an Italian trialist down at Ninian . Very exotic and exciting back then , except it was Tony and obviously never went further .He was good at self promotion.
    He was a waiter back then and worked his way up to being owner of several restaurants in Cardiff. There are some different stories from there .
    That's the guy. He was in the echo nearly every week somehow.
    Lived off pencisely Road in what they call Llandaff even though its near Victoria park

  17. #57

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    The Welsh Italians was a documentary show a while ago on the BBC.
    The presenter was a third generation settler in Merthyr and explored the migration to and impact on the valley towns of the Italians.
    You can probably find it on the iplayer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYP1...iValCenoGalles

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owXA...iValCenoGalles

  18. #58

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    that tiny cafe next to the multi storey , opposite the city Arms

    I think that was Italian owned , don't know if its still there
    That was always my 'go-to place' whenever I was looking for a bite to eat in town.
    They always did a good trade, both for sitting in and takeaway customers.
    The only problem, was its small size, you'd often struggle to find a seat, particularly on Saturdays.

  19. #59

    Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    https://nation.cymru/culture/the-sto...ived-in-wales/

    One of the positives (very small 'p') of Wales going out of a tournament is that we have the opportunity to learn more about Wales' ties to other nations. The links to Ukraine were fascinating and perhaps less well known but this article is talking about the Italians in Wales/Italian Welsh.

    Guess the most famous examples related to Cardiff City are Gio's pizza, Paul Abbandonato, Andrea Ferratti and Federico Macheda. Any more Cardiff Italians that I've missed?

    Michele Chiappa is a bit of alright

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •