+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Select Car Leasing Stadium

Select Car Leasing Stadium

New name for the Madejski.

Happy to keep Cardiff City Stadium for us.

Re: Select Car Leasing Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    New name for the Madejski.

Happy to keep Cardiff City Stadium for us.
    Why hasn't our stadium got a sponsor? I'm not complaining though. I can recall some deal with Hammam, which said that he would get a portion of the money if we suddenly changed the name to The Happy Shopper Arena or something similar. Or am i imagining that? There has to be a reason, as i would've thought that it's a sizeable chunk of income.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why hasn't our stadium got a sponsor? I'm not complaining though. I can recall some deal with Hammam, which said that he would get a portion of the money if we suddenly changed the name to The Happy Shopper Arena or something similar. Or am i imagining that? There has to be a reason, as i would've thought that it's a sizeable chunk of income.
    Hammam was due to get the first 9m but I think that's run out now. Tan could put in a few mil as a stadium sponsorship, rather than bankrolling us and that would get around FFP. Unless Tan wants all of the money back at some stage...

I’ve no problem with this. It’s a local firm that has done well and the two guys who set up the business are Reading fans. Frankly we need the money to stave of FFP penalties.
    The East Stand will now be named The Sir John Madejski Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I’ve no problem with this. It’s a local firm that has done well and the two guys who set up the business are Reading fans. Frankly we need the money to stave of FFP penalties.
    The East Stand will now be named The Sir John Madejski Stand.
    I have but I’ve got a issue with money in sport in general.

We’ve got to the point where the extra money doesn’t filter down to grass roots or better stadium/club experience.

The fact beer or a burger goes up 20p doesn’t mean that you’re going to get a better quality product.

The fact you get £xm for stadium bonus means you’ll probably just inflate players wages while it’s available.

It’s not going to change in my lifetime though

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I have but I’ve got a issue with money in sport in general.

We’ve got to the point where the extra money doesn’t filter down to grass roots or better stadium/club experience.

The fact beer or a burger goes up 20p doesn’t mean that you’re going to get a better quality product.

The fact you get £xm for stadium bonus means you’ll probably just inflate players wages while it’s available.

It’s not going to change in my lifetime though
    It’s definitely changing at Reading. Wages had reached 211% of our revenue which was a mad state of affairs. We had a bloated squad paying very high wages. We will have a very small squad next season. The club is finally learning.

I've often wondered why we haven't sold the naming rights to the stadium, especially in these cash-strapped times. Not sure how much we'd get, but every little helps doesn't it?
    You could end up with the Tony Macaroni Arena like Livingston though.

First Team

naming rights can be worth a few bob. Here's the ESPN list for US stadia for reference:

https://www.espn.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    naming rights can be worth a few bob. Here's the ESPN list for US stadia for reference:

https://www.espn.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html
    Those figures look tiny compared to deals in Europe!

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Those figures look tiny compared to deals in Europe!
    I think they're annual amounts.

It’s definitely changing at Reading. Wages had reached 211% of our revenue which was a mad state of affairs. We had a bloated squad paying very high wages. We will have a very small squad next season. The club is finally learning.
    The club nor football will ever learn. They’re just reconsolidating to go again

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I've often wondered why we haven't sold the naming rights to the stadium, especially in these cash-strapped times. Not sure how much we'd get, but every little helps doesn't it?
    You could end up with the Tony Macaroni Arena like Livingston though.
    Im probably wrong but I thought the naming rights were in the ownership of Sam Hamman.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The club nor football will ever learn. They’re just reconsolidating to go again
    I hope you’re wrong because it’s a ridiculous way of running a business.

Think it's called a Select Car Leasing state of affairs these days!