+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

https://nation.cymru/culture/the-sto...ived-in-wales/

One of the positives (very small 'p') of Wales going out of a tournament is that we have the opportunity to learn more about Wales' ties to other nations. The links to Ukraine were fascinating and perhaps less well known but this article is talking about the Italians in Wales/Italian Welsh.

Guess the most famous examples related to Cardiff City are Gio's pizza, Paul Abbandonato, Andrea Ferratti and Federico Macheda. Any more Cardiff Italians that I've missed?

Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

One of the positives (very small 'p') of Wales going out of a tournament is that we have the opportunity to learn more about Wales' ties to other nations. The links to Ukraine were fascinating and perhaps less well known but this article is talking about the Italians in Wales/Italian Welsh.

Guess the most famous examples related to Cardiff City are Gio's pizza, Paul Abbandonato, Andrea Ferratti and Federico Macheda. Any more Cardiff Italians that I've missed?
    Not exactly cardiff but victor spinetti , the founder of the berni inns steakhouse, the sidoli family in Porthcawl.......hard core ccfc fans .....Mario Basini that journalist bloke

Hes not very famous and he's dead now but my old school teacher Mr bertorelli and his family who owned a shop in Bridgend

And Pucellas , the barbers , by the bus station

All those great Italian cafιs in the valleys which seem to be a dying breed. My favourite was Baccetta’s in Porth.

The BBC did a really interesting piece on it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-51448889

Also, does anyone remember Merlin Motors on City Road. Owned by a Mr Merlini, who my Dad went to college with on Western Avenue and I went to school with his son Craig in Cowbridge who later managed the PA Black estate agents.

Just in my class in St Albans the Italian names were Chiarello, Senatore, Sammino, Scotto-Dabrusco, Guidici, Frederico, quite a strong Italian community in Splott.

Any more Cardiff Italians that I've missed?[/QUOTE]

Yes me and Don Corleone who posts on here

Our grandfather came over here in 1927 and opened a cafe in the valleys which carried on with my father and uncle until 1995

Academy

Thirty minutes at work have just flown by. Both articles mention Ricci's Square Cafe in Bargoed. My parents first met there in the 50s and always used to take us for ice-cream. Also a Rossi's cafe (or two?) in Bargoed and I was at school with Cresci's. Molte bene.

Not forgetting Cardiff North own Giuseppe Henry "Pino" Palladino, Pizzeria Villaggio still owned and run by the family .

That great Italian footballer Giorgio Chinaglia, started in Cardiff, played for Swansea. Then went home to Italy and became an International for them. Some dubious dealings after that though if you read Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Just in my class in St Albans the Italian names were Chiarello, Senatore, Sammino, Scotto-Dabrusco, Guidici, Frederico, quite a strong Italian community in Splott.
    You’re forgetting Georgio Chinaglia at Lady Marys

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You’re forgetting Georgio Chinaglia at Lady Marys
    I did say my class in St Albans, how dare you put me in the same age bracket as that gangster

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    That great Italian footballer Giorgio Chinaglia, started in Cardiff, played for Swansea. Then went home to Italy and became an International for them. Some dubious dealings after that though if you read Wikipedia.
    didn’t he refuse to let Pele have the 10 shirt at Cosmos preferring to wear it himself?

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Did the corruption start at St Albans School though ?

The fella featured in "Yma o Hyd" Magnus Maximus was a Roman, but Spanish I believe. Back when it all began.

Joe Calzaghe

There's of course Marco's and Zeraschi family down Barry Island, some of whom are Bluebirds: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/busine...sland-15104232.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    There's of course Marco's and Zeraschi family down Barry Island, some of whom are Bluebirds: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/busine...sland-15104232.
    That Gio bloke is a bluebird, especially when we are in an FA cup final, or League Cup final etc.

Andrea ferretti. Our recent famous Italian footballer

Loads of Italian families in Merthyr. Most of the Brachhis have closed now. Viazzinis Station Cafe is still going.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Loads of Italian families in Merthyr. Most of the Brachhis have closed now. Viazzinis Station Cafe is still going.
    Chiappa sisters from Merthyr as was Mario Basini the journalist.

Both cafe backgrounds I think?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Did the corruption start at St Albans School though ?
    I think Giorgio was a St Peter’s scholar prior to Lady Mary.

The Tambinis from Port Talbot are big City fans and a very nice family. I wonder if their cafι is still going in Margam?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Giovanni Malacrino

My father and family from Bardi . Took me to my first game in 66/67 ish , so his fault.
    Support Wales first , italy second . Obviously had a great week , went to Bath game Saturday with mates id not seen for 16 months , t and then the Italy win topped it off.