+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

Re: The story of the Bracchi – when the Italians arrived in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Nice one 👍
    No problem at all Sludge.

Word of warning though, based on your post regarding the sweltering heat forecast.

The place is quaint but tiny and if you were thinking of booking a table in the near future for you and your latest squeeze and are unlucky enough to be put on a table near the pizza oven, then think again.

I went there with some friends a couple of years back in the middle of winter and we were sat at the said table.

The perspiration secreted was worse than a glass blower's arsehole!

that tiny cafe next to the multi storey , opposite the city Arms

I think that was Italian owned , don't know if its still there
    Casanova's?

First Team

The Welsh Italians was a documentary show a while ago on the BBC.
    The presenter was a third generation settler in Merthyr and explored the migration to and impact on the valley towns of the Italians.
    You can probably find it on the iplayer

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No problem at all Sludge.

Word of warning though, based on your post regarding the sweltering heat forecast.

The place is quaint but tiny and if you were thinking of booking a table in the near future for you and your latest squeeze and are unlucky enough to be put on a table near the pizza oven, then think again.

I went there with some friends a couple of years back in the middle of winter and we were sat at the said table.

The perspiration secreted was worse than a glass blower's arsehole!
    Everythings in hand

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Who's the guy that owned topo gigio on church Street?
    Tony something?
    Always in the paper when Wales were playing Italy or City doing well.
    That was Tony Venditto , not from Bardi. I played some Sunday football up front with him for city supporters in thel late 70's ,then he went to a team in the same league Cardiff Italians . He wasn't that good , but one day the Echo had a piece on an Italian trialist down at Ninian . Very exotic and exciting back then , except it was Tony and obviously never went further .He was good at self promotion.
    He was a waiter back then and worked his way up to being owner of several restaurants in Cardiff. There are some different stories from there .

Quote Originally Posted by Random in Duquesa View Post
    That was Tony Venditto , not from Bardi. I played some Sunday football up front with him for city supporters in thel late 70's ,then he went to a team in the same league Cardiff Italians . He wasn't that good , but one day the Echo had a piece on an Italian trialist down at Ninian . Very exotic and exciting back then , except it was Tony and obviously never went further .He was good at self promotion.
    He was a waiter back then and worked his way up to being owner of several restaurants in Cardiff. There are some different stories from there .
    That's the guy. He was in the echo nearly every week somehow.
    Lived off pencisely Road in what they call Llandaff even though its near Victoria park

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    The Welsh Italians was a documentary show a while ago on the BBC.
    The presenter was a third generation settler in Merthyr and explored the migration to and impact on the valley towns of the Italians.
    You can probably find it on the iplayer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYP1...iValCenoGalles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owXA...iValCenoGalles

that tiny cafe next to the multi storey , opposite the city Arms

I think that was Italian owned , don't know if its still there
    That was always my 'go-to place' whenever I was looking for a bite to eat in town.
    They always did a good trade, both for sitting in and takeaway customers.
    The only problem, was its small size, you'd often struggle to find a seat, particularly on Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    https://nation.cymru/culture/the-sto...ived-in-wales/

One of the positives (very small 'p') of Wales going out of a tournament is that we have the opportunity to learn more about Wales' ties to other nations. The links to Ukraine were fascinating and perhaps less well known but this article is talking about the Italians in Wales/Italian Welsh.

Guess the most famous examples related to Cardiff City are Gio's pizza, Paul Abbandonato, Andrea Ferratti and Federico Macheda. Any more Cardiff Italians that I've missed?

Michele Chiappa is a bit of alright