Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
I don't know the proportion of homes with/without private parking spots in Wales but I'd guess it was significantly lower in towns and cities.

I've been intrigued by the "terraced house" issue since I last visited Wales and two of my neighbours here (US) bought electric vehicles and their own distributed solar systems.

I'm curious - what electric vehicle do you have?
I've got an audi Etron 55. Stated range of 240ish miles, real life its more like 210. It is an absolute monster and weighs over 2.5 tonnes it is one of the least efficient EVs out there and that is reflected in the charging times - mine is about as bad as it gets really, but it is still easily manageable to use this as our only family car which does travel across the country frequently. It can charge at 150kw but I've never charged it at anything more than 50kw, and generally make do with 7kw (I have a 7kw home charger as well as the ones you find everywhere in car parks).

One thing I would say is that of the people I know who have taken a company car in the last 6 months or so, all of them have taken an EV. And we are in London. This is in part because of the huge tax benefit i.e. the lease cost is pretty much deducted from gross pay so is (almost) a tax free benefit in a way that a petrol or diesel is not. To give you an idea: the list price of my car is £75k, but the after-tax cost to me is less than it would be to have say a £20k Ssangyong Tivoli. (I could never afford a £75k new car to buy and even if I could I would'nt spend that sort of money on a car, but the taxation of benefits in kind makes it almost impossible to opt for ICE at the moment).