+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own an electric vehicle?

First Team

Anyone own an electric vehicle?

Where do you charge it if you live in a terraced house?

Re: Anyone own an electric vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Saw one on Sunday. The owners had the charging point on the outside of the house, cable from the car across a (not at all busy) pavement via a very small front garden. The road was effectively a dead end so hardly any passing pedestrians.

charge it at tesco penarth

I've got an EV but have a driveway to charge it on. It's a bit unfair really as those who can park on driveways get a govt grant to install a home charger as well. But it is not impossible and I do have colleagues with EVs who do not have access to home charging who get on fine.

Depends what you want it for really: if its your main/only car that does 10k+ miles a year and lots of long journeys then I suspect the lack of a home charger makes it very inconvenient because you'd only be able to charge it at stations/shops and that would take a few hours so you'd have time to kill. Not really a problem at home when you can fully charge any car overnight, but if you have to take the car out to charge it for a few hours ahead of a long journey it will be a bit of a faff in a way that a quick trip to the petrol station won't be. So for those without a private parking space, it is going to be a lot more difficult and I personally wouldn't go for it as we only have the one car so do need to do overnight charging quite a bit.

But if you want a second car to nip around town in, then I suspect that even without easy access to home charging it would be manageable (and this is the case for some of my colleagues). Chargers are in more places than you might thing and certainly more than are advertised on the various apps. I don't go to many places where I park the car that doesn't have chargers, and most of them are free. If you've got a little EV like a Corsa E with a 50kwh battery you would fairly easily keep that topped up as you potter about town. And you can always charge from a 3 pin plug anywhere of course, even at home, in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by C1C9F2C7 View Post
    charge it at tesco penarth
    The one in Barry has a free 22kw charger (and a paid 50kw one). That's pretty impressive, but the standard free 7kwh ones which you find everywhere (incl Tesco Penarth) are more than enough really.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I've got an EV but have a driveway to charge it on. It's a bit unfair really as those who can park on driveways get a govt grant to install a home charger as well. But it is not impossible and I do have colleagues with EVs who do not have access to home charging who get on fine.

Depends what you want it for really: if its your main/only car that does 10k+ miles a year and lots of long journeys then I suspect the lack of a home charger makes it very inconvenient because you'd only be able to charge it at stations/shops and that would take a few hours so you'd have time to kill. Not really a problem at home when you can fully charge any car overnight, but if you have to take the car out to charge it for a few hours ahead of a long journey it will be a bit of a faff in a way that a quick trip to the petrol station won't be. So for those without a private parking space, it is going to be a lot more difficult and I personally wouldn't go for it as we only have the one car so do need to do overnight charging quite a bit.

But if you want a second car to nip around town in, then I suspect that even without easy access to home charging it would be manageable (and this is the case for some of my colleagues). Chargers are in more places than you might thing and certainly more than are advertised on the various apps. I don't go to many places where I park the car that doesn't have chargers, and most of them are free. If you've got a little EV like a Corsa E with a 50kwh battery you would fairly easily keep that topped up as you potter about town. And you can always charge from a 3 pin plug anywhere of course, even at home, in an emergency.
    How do you think they are going to solve the home charging ("terraced house") problem once everyone has an electric car?

Any other Tescos' with free chargers?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    They're run by Podpoint so download their app or go to their website and you can get locations from there. You're only allowed to park for 3 hours in Tesco though I think so you won't get a full battery from their 7kw chargers

How do you think they are going to solve the home charging ("terraced house") problem once everyone has an electric car?
    Not really my problem to fix. But a combination of

i) faster charging;
    ii) more charging stations; and

would be my guess. Longer ranges would help a bit, but not as much as the others. Although a lot of the current crop already have the ability to charge very quickly anyway.

As I say though- at the moment if I had one car and no easy access to home charging, I'd stick with petrol for now. With access to home charging it's a piece of piss to use EV tho.

First Team

i) faster charging;

would be my guess. Longer ranges would help a bit, but not as much as the others. Although a lot of the current crop already have the ability to charge very quickly anyway.

As I say though- at the moment if I had one car and no easy access to home charging, I'd stick with petrol for now. With access to home charging it's a piece of piss to use EV tho.
    But you don't think most people would be able to charge at home?

Yes, most of them are (and are generally 7kh). The general rule is that 7kw chargers are free; 50kw you pay for.

i) faster charging;

I think this is the only way and it's not exactly different to what happens now. The speed of charge will have to dramatically increase though if it is to work

But you don't think most people would be able to charge at home?
    The opposite. I think most people would because I imagine most people have somewhere they can park their car where they could install a charging point (or an outdoor socket). But I could be wrong- it might be that the majority don't have access to a private parking spot.

If you've got a drive it is pretty simple: you can buy a 7kw home charger for a few hundred (and is sometimes provided with the car, mine was); or you can simply use a normal socket which will work just fine for many.

How about designing a lamppost with charging sockets?

First Team

The opposite. I think most people would because I imagine most people have somewhere they can park their car where they could install a charging point (or an outdoor socket). But I could be wrong- it might be that the majority don't have access to a private parking spot.

If you've got a drive it is pretty simple: you can buy a 7kw home charger for a few hundred (and is sometimes provided with the car, mine was); or you can simply use a normal socket which will work just fine for many.
    I don't know the proportion of homes with/without private parking spots in Wales but I'd guess it was significantly lower in towns and cities.

I've been intrigued by the "terraced house" issue since I last visited Wales and two of my neighbours here (US) bought electric vehicles and their own distributed solar systems.

I'm curious - what electric vehicle do you have?

Tesco St Mellons

Especially as most people in terraced houses, can’t park directly outside their own house

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Porth Pouncer View Post
    How about designing a lamppost with charging sockets?
    There's a business idea in that.

The intention is to install them in lamp posts. Seriously. Apparently it's not that difficult to install and lampost charging is available in London.

https://www.fleeteurope.com/en/new-e...harge%20points.

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    I think this is the only way and it's not exactly different to what happens now. The speed of charge will have to dramatically increase though if it is to work
    Dramatically? you can already stick hundreds of miles in something like a tesla 3 in 20 mins and that charges at 250kw - and we already have 350kw chargers. It is never going to be a 2 minute job to fill it from empty in the way you can with your petrol car, but then rarely would you need/want to charge an EV from empty to full in a way you might normally with an ICE car.

And with access to home charge, it is really simple. I spend no more than a few seconds to charge my car each month, far less than I spent at petrol stations with my diesel.

Dramatically? you can already stick hundreds of miles in something like a tesla 3 in 20 mins and that charges at 250kw - and we already have 350kw chargers. It is never going to be a 2 minute job to fill it from empty in the way you can with your petrol car, but then rarely would you need/want to charge an EV from empty to full in a way you might normally with an ICE car.

And with access to home charge, it is really simple. I spend no more than a few seconds to charge my car each month, far less than I spent at petrol stations with my diesel.
    In order for it to work for the masses as planned post 2030 then we'll need a system just like petrol stations I think, I'm not au fait with the science behind batteries but why will it never be a 2 minute charge?

I don't know the proportion of homes with/without private parking spots in Wales but I'd guess it was significantly lower in towns and cities.

I've been intrigued by the "terraced house" issue since I last visited Wales and two of my neighbours here (US) bought electric vehicles and their own distributed solar systems.

I'm curious - what electric vehicle do you have?
    I've got an audi Etron 55. Stated range of 240ish miles, real life its more like 210. It is an absolute monster and weighs over 2.5 tonnes it is one of the least efficient EVs out there and that is reflected in the charging times - mine is about as bad as it gets really, but it is still easily manageable to use this as our only family car which does travel across the country frequently. It can charge at 150kw but I've never charged it at anything more than 50kw, and generally make do with 7kw (I have a 7kw home charger as well as the ones you find everywhere in car parks).

One thing I would say is that of the people I know who have taken a company car in the last 6 months or so, all of them have taken an EV. And we are in London. This is in part because of the huge tax benefit i.e. the lease cost is pretty much deducted from gross pay so is (almost) a tax free benefit in a way that a petrol or diesel is not. To give you an idea: the list price of my car is £75k, but the after-tax cost to me is less than it would be to have say a £20k Ssangyong Tivoli. (I could never afford a £75k new car to buy and even if I could I would'nt spend that sort of money on a car, but the taxation of benefits in kind makes it almost impossible to opt for ICE at the moment).

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    In order for it to work for the masses as planned post 2030 then we'll need a system just like petrol stations I think, I'm not au fait with the science behind batteries but why will it never be a 2 minute charge?
    No idea - I could be wrong but I suspect repeated rapid charging is a Bad Thing for batteries and therefore I sort-of assume that that speed of charge to go from say 10% to 80% charge would be challenging, in particular when the batteries themselves will be presumably getting bigger to offer longer ranges.

As regards petrol stations: not really. I think something like 90%+ of EV charging is done at home and there is no equivalent option for petrol. Obviously for many that is going to be a challenge and so yes the number of charging stations will have to increase, but that is inevitable - but a material amount of refuelling (presumably well over half) will be done at home. You cannot build petrol stations any more and the number of EV charging points is only going to increase. I suspect by the mid 2030s the bigger issue will be - can you find a petrol station to fuel your ICE car if you still have one?

I'm getting a Tesla 3 in 2 weeks.. handy for Pontprennau

No chance up the Rhondda!