+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The story of Euro 2020 (21) - English media style

The story of Euro 2020 (21) - English media style

Re: The story of Euro 2020 (21) - English media style

This is why the Celtic nations love it when England are bigged up by the media and pundits, only to fall short time after time.

I disagree with some of the entries:

1. England were amongst the favourites going into the competition. It would have been bizarre not to recognise that.
    2. Robbie Savage isn't a good commentator but "Go wake your kids up..." was a special bit of commentary. It's fair an English commentator speaks in the same way about England even if it's on the BBC.

A lot of fair comments but not all of them

It's selective, I'm sure even for Wales you could find some hype in the papers and questions of who we could play if we got through. We just aren't expected to go too far, England are.

Regarding coverage I thought it was fair enough, important to remember that about 56 million of the uk's 66 million are English. You could argue for a nation of 3 million our coverage, Welsh language programmes etc etc is disproportionate even.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I disagree with some of the entries:

1. England were amongst the favourites going into the competition. It would have been bizarre not to recognise that.
    2. Robbie Savage isn't a good commentator but "Go wake your kids up..." was a special bit of commentary. It's fair an English commentator speaks in the same way about England even if it's on the BBC.

A lot of fair comments but not all of them
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...l/57413544.amp

here's an article from the BBC pundits predictions before the tournament - not one of them saying England will win.
    most going for France, and only Waddle getting it right.

One way around being subjected to English TV coverage is to have our own, or at least a shared commentary and analysis with Scotland and NI. But there would probably be criticism regarding expense and some backbench Tory MP would whinge about building divides.

....and, meanwhile, the reaction of the foreign media

https://www.theguardian.com/football...n-press-review

The quote from Oppenheimer at the end seems to capture it neatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...l/57413544.amp

here's an article from the BBC pundits predictions before the tournament - not one of them saying England will win.
    most going for France, and only Waddle getting it right.
    I've seen this shared on social media too, but I still agree with any pre-tournament article recognizing England should get to the final so don't find that view arrogant. If BBC didn't have England as amongst the favourites (semis at worst) they're either over-correcting from previous misplaced hype, scared to jinx things or bad pundits.

What I haven't seen on social media is England fans who have shared that BBC link recognising how several points are valid even though they are. You're falling into that latter group.

A case of Scottish fan being over-sensitive and England fans not recognising how obsessive and bizarre some of the media coverage, predominantly post-Germany game, was says this Welshman.

BBC/ITV could improve by i) not employing Rio Ferdinand or Frank Lampard who were both amongst worse, ii) reminding their commentators not to wonder what England fans are thinking about other team's misfortune (see injuries to team's England are facing) and iii) stop going to the England camp every single game like they're a toddler just learning to walk who needs constant checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post

And yet England probably has the least racist football culture in Europe.

The Italian and Spanish journalists quoted in that article should have a look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post

Very accurate statement, that.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I've seen this shared on social media too, but I still agree with any pre-tournament article recognizing England should get to the final so don't find that view arrogant. If BBC didn't have England as amongst the favourites (semis at worst) they're either over-correcting from previous misplaced hype, scared to jinx things or bad pundits.

What I haven't seen on social media is England fans who have shared that BBC link recognising how several points are valid even though they are. You're falling into that latter group.

A case of Scottish fan being over-sensitive and England fans not recognising how obsessive and bizarre some of the media coverage, predominantly post-Germany game, was says this Welshman.

BBC/ITV could improve by i) not employing Rio Ferdinand or Frank Lampard who were both amongst worse, ii) reminding their commentators not to wonder what England fans are thinking about other team's misfortune (see injuries to team's England are facing) and iii) stop going to the England camp every single game like they're a toddler just learning to walk who needs constant checking.
    Agree with that. England were legitimately amongst the favourites and I don't really take issue with British broadcasters getting excited about them doing well. And to be honest when England are playing they can be as rabid about is as they want as far as I'm concerned. The concept of impartiality is openly dismissed for those matches and I don't really see much harm in that, or even Rio's "punditry".

What does grate tho, is the (increasing?) lack of professionalism when they are covering games England are not playing in. This was a terrific tournament and I watched far more of it than I did recent tournaments, but I did get annoyed by the constant dicsussion of England's performances/route to final. They opened the commentary on the other semi final by discussing England! There was far, far too much of it this time around.

Talking about England when England aren't playing is normal. I certainly remember it happening during tournaments in the 90s. Every halftime used to have Gabriel Clarke at the England hotel, talking to Graeme Le Saux about who was best at table tennis.

That's why the 1994 world cup was so nice

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Agree with that. England were legitimately amongst the favourites and I don't really take issue with British broadcasters getting excited about them doing well. And to be honest when England are playing they can be as rabid about is as they want as far as I'm concerned. The concept of impartiality is openly dismissed for those matches and I don't really see much harm in that, or even Rio's "punditry".

What does grate tho, is the (increasing?) lack of professionalism when they are covering games England are not playing in. This was a terrific tournament and I watched far more of it than I did recent tournaments, but I did get annoyed by the constant dicsussion of England's performances/route to final. They opened the commentary on the other semi final by discussing England! There was far, far too much of it this time around.
    What I also found annoying was the press complaining about bias toward Wales & Scotland whilst refusing to acknowledge the continued bias toward England. I don't mind bias, but just admit that they are biased. Ferdinand is a terrible pundit though and embodies a lot of the complaints levelled at English teams, that they're arrogant, brash, dismissive of other countries and too ready to turn when things don't go their way.

That thread makes some fair points, I remember ITV making digs at Scotland's expense which was a shock considering its supposed to be a UK (not just English) broadcaster, whilst them talking about England during our Euro QF was a pisstake. I think its quite hard for English people to understand the overwhelming nature of the English press in Britain, particularly here in Wales as we lack any of our own