+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new signings. What impact on the starting eleven?

The new signings. What impact on the starting eleven?

What do you see the starting eleven and subs being for Barnsley match?

Re: The new signings. What impact on the starting eleven?

I think Giles will start at left wing back. Not sure if Wintle will start as I suspect the midfield might be Pack, Vaulks, Ralls. Kieffer up top is a given, but it'll be interesting to see who plays with/ off him. I'd like to see Collins there but I'm not sure he's that type of player - I think he'll be use as a Kieffer alternative. So, for me that no. 10 position is still one we probably need to bring someone in.

Phillips

Morrison Flint Nelson
    Ng Wintle Pack Giles
    Colwill
    Collins Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Phillips

Morrison Flint Nelson
    Ng Wintle Pack Giles
    Colwill
    Collins Moore
    One of Vaulks or Ralls will start and I think we'll sign someone else to play off Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    One of Vaulks or Ralls will start and I think we'll sign someone else to play off Moore.
    Vaulks suspended for first game at least?

Would prefer to see Ralls instead of pack

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Vaulks suspended for first game at least?

Would prefer to see Ralls instead of pack
    Yes Vaulks is suspended for the first game so sure Rallls will start. I think Collins will play alongside Moore and we’ll be pumping the ball into the box at every opportunity

A lot of optimism here that Kieffer will be with us next season. If an offer comes along I wouldn’t be surprised if the club cashes in. Are we equipped up front if he does go ?

I get the feeling there's going to be a few more ins and outs yet, so I think it's impossible to try to pick a team for the Barnsley match, but it's is possible to take a decent guess at who out of the four newcomers will be playing.

The easiest one to predict for me is McGuiness because, even if one of Flint, Morrison or Nelson was sold or injured, you'd assume Brown or, possibly, Pack would come in for them. I'd say the most likely to start is Giles, presumably at left wing back and Wintle (who has played occasionally at centreback for Crewe) stands a good chance of being given a start in front of someone like Bacuna who is currently away on international duty I believe and so will be a bit behind in his preparation.

It could be possible that Collins starts in front of Moore for the same reason, but if it's decided that Keiffer is okay to start, I find Collins the toughest one of the four to predict - if I had to decide one way or another, I'd opt for him being on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    A lot of optimism here that Kieffer will be with us next season. If an offer comes along I wouldn’t be surprised if the club cashes in. Are we equipped up front if he does go ?
    Not for a promotion challege.

Weve got enough for mid table stability. So if the plan is to bring through our young players and build then weve got enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    No, even if Collins comes in and does well, I don't think we are in terms of strength in depth - we'd clearly be weaker in the striking positions than we were last season.

I think the keeper is the hardest to predict.

On the squad we have id go.

Smithies Ng Morrison Flint Nelson Giles Wintle Ralls Pack Tomlin Moore.

Colwill if Tomlin isnt fit.

I assume Giles will start

We started with 2 strikers against Bath which could suggest that's the route we're going this season, particularly considering the lack of attacking midfielders. I'd like for Sang to be given an opportunity in midfield but can't see Mick doing it

Phillips
    Morrison Flint Nelson
    Ng Pack Ralls Giles
    Colwill
    Collins Moore

Would be my prediction though I'd like to see Pack tried in the back 3 again

It's noticeable that we all assume we're playing with full backs and none of us have Murphy in a starting line up. He's quite an expensive bench warmer - is it time for him to move on?

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    It's noticeable that we all assume we're playing with full backs and none of us have Murphy in a starting line up. He's quite an expensive bench warmer - is it time for him to move on?
    He's on big money too but who is going to buy him? He's out of contract in the summer and I'd be amazed if he was still here after that.

3 . 5 . 2 season perhaps ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    3 . 5 . 2 season perhaps ?
    our squad seems to lend itself to a 3-4-1-2 with the number of strikers we have.
    the 1 is going to be key though.
    if Tomlin can roll back the years that could be ideal for him, or if we can get Wilson back I think he could do very well with 2 strikers ahead if him.
    then we've got Colwill who played that role to bring through as well.

our squad seems to lend itself to a 3-4-1-2 with the number of strikers we have.
    the 1 is going to be key though.
    if Tomlin can roll back the years that could be ideal for him, or if we can get Wilson back I think he could do very well with 2 strikers ahead if him.
    then we've got Colwill who played that role to bring through as well.
    Yes you could be right .

I hope we invest in Colwill rather than hope Tomlin does or doesn't not turn up .

Feel we may see Ojo back rather than Wilson ??

Lots of different players/ formations to mull over. Have tried to work out in my mind but very confused. Hope MM isn't!

Couldn’t Murphy rotate with Colwill? I don’t see us getting much out of Tomlin, although if he’s in the last year of his contract, might play out of his skin to get a new deal.

MM likes. Defensive wing back so not sure if we will see Giles in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    MM likes. Defensive wing back so not sure if we will see Giles in that position.
    is that due to the fact we didn't have a more attacking option until now?

Under big Mick we've played Bennett, Bagan, Brown, Ng, Sang and Ralls on the left and Ng and Sang on the right if I'm remembering correctly.
    I'm not sure there were too many other options to go more attacking. Hoilet or Murphy perhaps?

is that due to the fact we didn't have a more attacking option until now?

Under big Mick we've played Bennett, Bagan, Brown, Ng, Sang and Ralls on the left and Ng and Sang on the right if I'm remembering correctly.
    I'm not sure there were too many other options to go more attacking. Hoilet or Murphy perhaps?
    Yeah I would say Hoilett for sure was an option, muprhy and Ojo probably a stretch.

I though MM said he preferred a defender at wingback than a Winger but I maybe wrong. Giles seems like quite an attacking player with defensive issues. I just wonder if he is more a Ojo replacement than a Bennett replacement.

Will be interesting tho, I think the way we play we can afford a more attacking wingback.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Yeah I would say Hoilett for sure was an option, muprhy and Ojo probably a stretch.

I though MM said he preferred a defender at wingback than a Winger but I maybe wrong. Giles seems like quite an attacking player with defensive issues. I just wonder if he is more a Ojo replacement than a Bennett replacement.

Will be interesting tho, I think the way we play we can afford a more attacking wingback.
    we've seen time and time again that it doesn't work well as a formation unless the wingbacks are getting involved in the attacks. I think that was the big difference we saw before and after Bennett's injury.
    in the euro's teams playing with wingbacks really heavily relied on them for creating chances, England - Shaw and trippier Holland Dumfries, Denmark maehle, Italy spazzinola all contributed a lot to the attacks. if we are bold then I still think we can be a good team at this level. if we effectively play 5 defenders, with a very defensively minded midfield then it is going to be a very long and boring season

I wouldn't be surprised if the club sold Moore, Morrison and Ralls, and try and get Murphy loaned out with the other club paying part off his wages. But assuming they don't I expect the line up to be:

Smithies, Ng, Morrison, Flint , Nelson, Giles, Ralls, Wintle, Pack, Moore, Collins.

We are still pretty thin on the ground after the departures of Bamba, Bennett, Wilson and Ojo. So maybe some more ins and outs before the deadline.

How likely are we to get decent money for Morrison? He's 30, unproven at a higher level and probably on big money. I'd be surprised if he went.