+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Flying Ants

Flying Ants

Swarms of them just coming out of the paving down the bottom of my garden.

Some of the flying ones fell in the water I leave out for the birds and the land based ones are trying to get them out. It's not going well.

This is my Friday night.

Re: Flying Ants

Haven’t seen flying ants for years

Suppose that’s because I barely go outside as an adult

As a kid Used to love mixing red and black ants together and see what happens

Seems all a bit deranged and bitter now

What happened?

Bet you were out with the magnifying glass as well

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    Swarms of them just coming out of the paving down the bottom of my garden.

Some of the flying ones fell in the water I leave out for the birds and the land based ones are trying to get them out. It's not going well.

This is my Friday night.
    Fecking loads of them everywhere today. Bastards

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Fecking loads of them everywhere today. Bastards
    Keep a look out for gulls wheeling around in huge numbers. They absolutely love flying ants, the acid in which is reported to make them quite tipsy. It's no coincidence that when this happens there is an increase in roadkill numbers of gulls.

I used to work near Portmanmoor Road a few years ago and there were 3 or 4 dead gulls on that road alone. I was told by a fellow birdwatcher of the flying ant connection, which I later confirmed online.

Used to be plagues of them in South Wales when I was a kid. They only last a few days though and they settle on anything white. Used to cover the lighthouse at Bulls Nose.
    Means two weeks hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Used to be plagues of them in South Wales when I was a kid. They only last a few days though and they settle on anything white. Used to cover the lighthouse at Bulls Nose.
    Means two weeks hot weather.
    I was on the Isle Of Wight as a kid on flying ant day and had a white t shirt on,. Just horrible.

Saw the gulls after them earlier, another species which should be wiped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    I was on the Isle Of Wight as a kid on flying ant day and had a white t shirt on,. Just horrible.

Saw the gulls after them earlier, another species which should be wiped out.
    Rural Essex is bad for them too. Lots of species of gulls but they’re all vermin, you’re right about that .
    Fulmers and black backs are the worst. The former spit a foul smelling fluid at you and the latter pluck the eyes from new born lambs.

Not seen any for a while I've eaten a few I think ??

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Keep a look out for gulls wheeling around in huge numbers. They absolutely love flying ants, the acid in which is reported to make them quite tipsy. It's no coincidence that when this happens there is an increase in roadkill numbers of gulls.

I used to work near Portmanmoor Road a few years ago and there were 3 or 4 dead gulls on that road alone. I was told by a fellow birdwatcher of the flying ant connection, which I later confirmed online.
    That's exactly how we spotted them earlier mate. Seagulls going mental near Heath Park

54q2`I normally see them coming out from under my patio.
    Haven't seen any so far this year, and I can't remember them last year.