Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Agree about St. Andrews which is such a shame to see what it has become. As for St. George’s, it just strikes me that, it’s always a low scoring Open when it’s played there, but that’s not to say that some of them have not been dramatic (e.g. Sandy Lyles and wasn’t it where Thomas Bjorn had the tournament in his grasp only to make a mess of a short hole?).

My golf playing days were short lived and I watch it entirely from the perspective of a spectator, so give me a Carnoustie any day of the week - a course where the sound of Americans arrogantly bleating on about it not being a fair test can be heard at the end of most of the times the Open is played there! The final round of Paul Lawries win in 1999 took place on the day we were told that my mother was not going to recover from the second of two strokes she’d suffered within just over twenty four hours, yet the drama of the golf that afternoon was sufficient to lift me out of the despair I was feeling for a short while - my Mum loved her golf and would have been enraptured by the drama at the end of that Open, even if she would have felt so sorry for Van De Velde.
That Jean van de Velde collapse has to be one of the sad sights in sport.

Awful to watch but compulsive viewing.