+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring-Necked Parakeets

Ring-Necked Parakeets

Seen loads in London but just saw my first one in Rumney. I'd heard that they were moving further west but didn't expect to see one so soon. Noisy blighters mind and such a giveaway if you hear one.

Re: Ring-Necked Parakeets

There are loads of them around where I live in Devon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    There are loads of them around where I live in Devon.
    Whereabouts is that, neighbour?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Whereabouts is that, neighbour?
    Near Exeter.

Near Exeter.
    Exeter, music of Jah people.
    Not far from me then.

Exeter, music of Jah people.
    Not far from me then.
    Not far. We've exchanged messages before about travelling to matches.

Not far. We've exchanged messages before about travelling to matches.
    I remember declining the offer to go dogging.

I remember declining the offer to go dogging.
    With parakeets?

With parakeets?
    I could be tempted.

I could be tempted.
    Apparently, you're a bit of a 'Pretty Boy'

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Apparently, you're a bit of a 'Pretty Boy'
    Gottle of gear, gottle of gear....

Apparently, these parrots were brought over by some rich bloke hundreds of years ago. They escaped (obviously) and adapted to the climate. Very prevalent in Kent. Interesting.

International

Apparently, these parrots were brought over by some rich bloke hundreds of years ago. They escaped (obviously) and adapted to the climate. Very prevalent in Kent. Interesting.
    P'raps they adapted to the climate and the then escaped.

(This is meant to be a humorous comment but I've forgotten the colour codes, so if you're all going to pile on please co-ordinate your colours)

There are loads of myths as to how they came to being released, including one involving Jimmy Hendrix releasing a load. I have family in Surrey and the actual reason is that in the great storms of 1987 a roof blew off a large local aviary and a load of them escaped. My sister regularly has six or more of them on her bird feeders. They are noisy bastards though

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    There are loads of myths as to how they came to being released, including one involving Jimmy Hendrix releasing a load. I have family in Surrey and the actual reason is that in the great storms of 1987 a roof blew off a large local aviary and a load of them escaped. My sister regularly has six or more of them on her bird feeders. They are noisy bastards though
    That actually makes sense. Michael Fish' fault.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Indeed they are. My son lives in Greenford and they're flying around his house most of the day. I think they roost in Perivale Park, which is just around the corner from him.

You're just repeating what you heard.

As something of an ornithologist, I was amazed to see the Ring Necked Parakeet included in a book of bird visitors to British Gardens that was published in the nineties. I can remember looking into how they arrived in the country at the time and my findings matched what the RSPB website says today - it's impossible to pin down exactly how it happened, but it seems to have taken place sometime in the seventies.

I notice that the RSPB's page on the bird says that they are still limited to the south east of England and that "Birds are regularly reported elsewhere in Britain, and are likely to be local escapees.".

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/pol...ked-parakeets/

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...cked-parakeet/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As something of an ornithologist, I was amazed to see the Ring Necked Parakeet included in a book of bird visitors to British Gardens that was published in the nineties. I can remember looking into how they arrived in the country at the time and my findings matched what the RSPB website says today - it's impossible to pin down exactly how it happened, but it seems to have taken place sometime in the seventies.

I notice that the RSPB's page on the bird says that they are still limited to the south east of England and that "Birds are regularly reported elsewhere in Britain, and are likely to be local escapees.".

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/pol...ked-parakeets/

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...cked-parakeet/
    When I visited Australia I suddenly saw a flock of parrots flying overhead and my initial split-second thought was that they must have escaped from somewhere...

You're just repeating what you heard.

When I visited Australia I suddenly saw a flock of parrots flying overhead and my initial split-second thought was that they must have escaped from somewhere...
    That's right.
    Some Aussies took them home from Britain and they afapted to the warm climate and escaped...

I visited Barcelona a couple of years ago, and noticed large flocks of parakeets around the city. I thought that was odd at the time, until I saw similar groups of birds in London. Now it seems they're spreading across the country. I blame climate change. There will be crocodiles in the Taff soon...

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    That's right.
    Some Aussies took them home from Britain and they afapted to the warm climate and escaped...
    When I went to Australia a few years ago, I was walking along one of the main thoroughfares in Sydney when quite a few Sulphur Crested Cockatoos flew over my head. Made a refreshing change from the pigeons and marauding gulls you see in Queen Street.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I visited Barcelona a couple of years ago, and noticed large flocks of parakeets around the city. I thought that was odd at the time, until I saw similar groups of birds in London. Now it seems they're spreading across the country. I blame climate change. There will be crocodiles in the Taff soon...
    Its a war in Barcelona, 7 different types of the noisy f***kers, in some places where they cause damage the city has introduced Falcon to combat them.

That actually makes sense. Michael Fish' fault.
    Michael Fish wasn't German.