+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How much is too much? Marcus Rashford, burnout and player welfare article

How much is too much? Marcus Rashford, burnout and player welfare article

Marcus Rashford’s injury is another sign that football demands too much with little thought for players
    There would have been no ‘right’ time for Rashford to have surgery, but where do the relentless demands on overworked players actually get us?

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/m...ngland-1106136
    Article hangs itself on Rashford but could easily be about Kieffer Moore staying on against Swansea when we was too tired to jump and how City might go about better managing player-load this season.

Goes on to talk about desire for more and more football and no one wanting to be the one going against this even if it's becoming necessary. Lot's of players have played with two shortened summers now and are unlikely to get a break before next summer - big challenge for any club to manage.

Re: How much is too much? Marcus Rashford, burnout and player welfare article

It comes with the job of being a top class sports athlete. It’s physically demanding. He will have access to the very best facilities and rehab.

The other option could be less games, or double the squad size and then the players will earn less money, or the fans will be chinned for even more money.

As much as Marcus Rashford is clearly a wonderful human being it’s a bit difficult to feel much sympathy on this occasion. For him or any other top level international footballer for that matter.

There’s people working in much worse conditions being paid a hell of a lot less.

There are probably L2 players playing through the pain barrier who when their careers are over will have to find work. Why highlight a top PL player.? Im pretty certain most of the population would love to be in their situation.

No sympathy whatsoever. Im pretty certain Rashford isnt looking for it though.

There will be people working through the pain barrier in many jobs who have to just to pay bills and put food on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    There are probably L2 players playing through the pain barrier who when their careers are over will have to find work. Why highlight a top PL player.? Im pretty certain most of the population would love to be in their situation.

No sympathy whatsoever. Im pretty certain Rashford isnt looking for it though.

There will be people working through the pain barrier in many jobs who have to just to pay bills and put food on the table.
    👍

Tom Brady just played an entire season and won a Super Bowl with a torn MCL.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Brady has played 36 games in the last two years with a 9 month break between competitive games compared to Rashford who has played 114 games in two years with a break of 34 days between. I don't want to be rude but you should know the scenarios are different for multiple reasons.

It's not an article about Rashford, it's just using his name to make the point. No one is asking you to feel sympathy for any one individual.

The fans want more games, the sponsors want more games, the ruling bodies want more games but at what point do we start to talk about player welfare? For some of you on here the answer appears to be never.

Thankfully no lengthy health appointment time for him

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Brady has played 36 games in the last two years with a 9 month break between competitive games compared to Rashford who has played 114 games in two years with a break of 34 days between. I don't want to be rude but you should know the scenarios are different for multiple reasons.

It's not an article about Rashford, it's just using his name to make the point. No one is asking you to feel sympathy for any one individual.

The fans want more games, the sponsors want more games, the ruling bodies want more games but at what point do we start to talk about player welfare? For some of you on here the answer appears to be never.
    It's a load of bollocks. Player 'welfare' ? My heart bleeds for them..

I've never understood the argument that they're professionals so... what? They can be run into the ground? Their joints and bones have limitless wear? And the whole "they've got pots of cash so who cares about welfare" - how do those two things correlate?

I realise I'm probably asking a lot seeing as the intellectual consensus in this thread so far seems to be "**** 'em".

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I've never understood the argument that they're professionals so... what? They can be run into the ground? Their joints and bones have limitless wear? And the whole "they've got pots of cash so who cares about welfare" - how do those two things correlate?

I realise I'm probably asking a lot seeing as the intellectual consensus in this thread so far seems to be "**** 'em".
    **** off

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's a load of bollocks. Player 'welfare' ? My heart bleeds for them..

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It comes with the job of being a top class sports athlete. It’s physically demanding. He will have access to the very best facilities and rehab.

The other option could be less games, or double the squad size and then the players will earn less money, or the fans will be chinned for even more money.

As much as Marcus Rashford is clearly a wonderful human being it’s a bit difficult to feel much sympathy on this occasion. For him or any other top level international footballer for that matter.

There’s people working in much worse conditions being paid a hell of a lot less.
    Absolutely spot on! They should try working in a sweatshop for a few hours on £1 an hour.

I honestly don’t understand why young men today can’t take hard knocks and shrug them off like previous generations.
    As far as these overpaid tossers whining about everything when they’re actually very lucky on many levels, I couldn’t agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I honestly don’t understand why young men today can’t take hard knocks and shrug them off like previous generations.
    As far as these overpaid tossers whining about everything when they’re actually very lucky on many levels, I couldn’t agree more.
    Indeed. Kids today could learn a thing or two about missing the point of articles written by journalists.

The mental strain I can accept and sympathise with.

The physical one is just pathetic though. You’re getting paid to play your hobby as a living. Why would you ever complain about playing.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

I was merely pointing out a fact. I'm sorry if you found it inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The mental strain I can accept and sympathise with.

The physical one is just pathetic though. You’re getting paid to play your hobby as a living. Why would you ever complain about playing.
    I don't think footballers feel tired the way we feel when we say we're tired. If you asked them on any given day to run 10k, they could. A 50% "tired" pro player would run rings around just about any of us on top form.

It's about their physical condition not being where it should be when they're playing against teams who are at that level. It's about the small mistakes they might make after 70 minutes that cost a goal, not that they need to sit down.

If you think about Olympic athletes, they will spend all year trying to get themselves to peak at the right time. Why are footballers any different? Their bodies will have peak periods, and too many games mean fewer peak periods, which means underperforming.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The average distance covered by an American Football player is 1.5 km per game.

Someone like Rashford will cover around 13 km per game.

Rashford isn't looking for sympathy here, it's just the reality of the game.

I do feel for lower league players who don't have access to the medical facilities and expertise of the top players.

On the other hand I've played in the Welsh leagues, got plenty of kickings, played on terrible pitches and pissed on in the changing room. Wouldn't change it for the world and did it with only occassally getting some Beer money... But we should look at ways of looking after elite athletes like Rashford and I do think footballers careers are extending past the usual 32 and 33 sell by date.

A Group of guys has just ridden round France covering over 3400km in 21 days, Geraint Thomas dislocated a shoulder on day 3 and still finished in Paris, He once rode 21 days with a fractured pelvis after a crash on the first stage.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    A Group of guys has just ridden round France covering over 3400km in 21 days, Geraint Thomas dislocated a shoulder on day 3 and still finished in Paris, He once rode 21 days with a fractured pelvis after a crash on the first stage.
    Bet Geriant would have scored that penalty with his injuries , no hop skipping and jumping from our Geriant, straight in , no drama.