+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Peter Whittingham Stand

Feedback

Re: The Peter Whittingham Stand

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    In modern times he’s number 1 on both categories. He was also a midfielder, to be number 3 in all time league scorers is utterly insane. And that’s before we get into the quality of goals he scored.

If I had my way we would name the stadium after him.
    This

Class from the club to open consultation with the fans in renaming a stand after him. I’d like to see a statue outside whichever stand they rename too.

Yes they’ve got many things be wrong in the past, but I do feel Ken Choo and Tan are men of integrity and will do the right thing on this.

On a side note I find it incredibly sad that the original thread that included this news has slipped down the page and only had a handful of replies. Seems people are more interested in pontificating over social issues and politics on this forum than Cardiff City football club these days.
    Haven't been on here for a while so missed it, but that's great news.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Before you become too praiseworthy of the Club remember that the original proposal came from the Trust, it was not the club’s idea, and it has been with the club for a few months now. At the Supporters Liaison meeting on Thursday evening it was not on the original agenda published by the club but brought up by the Trust who asked for an update on it. In terms of renaming the Family Stand after Whitts they do not appear to have progressed it which, i suspect, is not the fault of the 2 Club Officials who took the meeting. They need to get on with it.
    Well done the Trust for the original proposal. What was the original proposal? If it was to name a stand after Whitts, that's great, but I don't think the Trust has ever asked its membership for their views.

I feel strongly that Mrs Whittingham and family should be consulted before a final decision is made.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Well done the Trust for the original proposal. What was the original proposal? If it was to name a stand after Whitts, that's great, but I don't think the Trust has ever asked its membership for their views.

I feel strongly that Mrs Whittingham and family should be consulted before a final decision is made.
    Well, you think wrong !

After consultation with members I believe the Trust put the idea of renaming the Family Stand to the club at the end of March. Consultation with the family was mentioned in the original discussion. Nearly 4 months later no response.

This club is the same as it ever was

You have to boot it up the arse and boot it several more times to get things done

But if things are now moving , thanks to the trust and some at the club then that's great

It would be a fitting tribute to such a great player and a great man

Good to hear. The greatest Bluebird I’ve ever seen. I’d support a statue and a stand being named after him. In my mind, he scored most of his greatest goals at the Canton Stand (or perhaps I’m just remembering them and forgetting the 20 screamers at the other end!).

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Good to hear. The greatest Bluebird I’ve ever seen. I’d support a statue and a stand being named after him. In my mind, he scored most of his greatest goals at the Canton Stand (or perhaps I’m just remembering them and forgetting the 20 screamers at the other end!).
    I think he probably was

Kav had his moments but want here long

Chopra a great striker but witts made everything tick from the middle

Some of his passing was sublime

What a loss

Instead of his full could we not called it the Whitt's End ( I now some may laugh ,but it has a quickness about it which we as fans know about )

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post

The Trust did put an email out to members and the response (to the idea of naming the family stand after Whitts was positive. Yes, the family will need to be consulted. Yes, the club are looking at the idea if celebrating his life and contribution to the club.

This thread is reminding me how average, or worse, Cardiff City have been for majority of their existence.

Whittingham was a great for us but for 99% of fans he was a very good Championship player only. How many clubs have fans asking for the stadium (or a statue and a stand) to be named after a very good Championship player?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Instead of his full could we not called it the Whitt's End ( I now some may laugh ,but it has a quickness about it which we as fans know about )
    Go back a few months on this board.....! It has not passed some supporters by that IF the family stand is renamed after PW, it could become known as "Whitts End" of which he may well have approved.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    This thread is reminding me how average, or worse, Cardiff City have been for majority of their existence.

Whittingham was a great for us but for 99% of fans he was a very good Championship player only. How many clubs have fans asking for the stadium (or a statue and a stand) to be named after a very good Championship player?
    A very good Championship player who, for a decade, scored more truly memorable goals than the rest of his team mates put together. You could, perhaps, apply the same criteria to assists as well, although Steve McPhail would probably have something to say about that. Add excellent dead ball delivery, a brilliant (personification of cool) attitude which saw him almost embarrassed at times by the magical things he was capable of doing, his unique goal “celebrations” and the fact that he died so tragically young and it all makes Whitts unique among the City players I’ve been watching for nearly sixty years. If footballers are truly deserving of having stands named after them or statues honouring them at grounds, then no one in the second half of City’s existence merits this more than Peter Whittingham.

If it gets done, does it matter who gets the credit?

Yes they have been mediocre compared to a few clubs but we are never going to compete with those clubs. That doesnt mean we can't have our own history and achievements, it's not comparing our success to others.

I look at the players we have had and when were in PL, Whittingham if had more opportunity could have performed at a much higher level.

It's about loyalty, I'm certain he could have chased money by moving around to bigger clubs.

He has a ridiculous amount of goals, assists and appearances when the club was arguably in the brightest part of its history in living memory.

The guy was a legend and was already the greatest before tragedy stuck. I think a statue or family stand would be a good idea as would always keep his memory fresh for the youngsters who didn't get to see him, especially given he was a young man with a young family

Fair point, but he's more than that to the majority of us. A player with his ability and vision staying with us for ten years says something about Whittingham. It doesn't say that he lacked ambition or didn't possess the work rate in order to advance his career, it tells me that he was happy playing and living here, no more complicated than that really. For me, that's worth more than any player who travels for the money. He was a unique bloke on the pitch, it seems he was the same off it.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Yes they have been mediocre compared to a few clubs but we are never going to compete with those clubs. That doesnt mean we can't have our own history and achievements, it's not comparing our success to others.

I look at the players we have had and when were in PL, Whittingham if had more opportunity could have performed at a much higher level.

It's about loyalty, I'm certain he could have chased money by moving around to bigger clubs.

He has a ridiculous amount of goals, assists and appearances when the club was arguably in the brightest part of its history in living memory.

The guy was a legend and was already the greatest before tragedy stuck. I think a statue or family stand would be a good idea as would always keep his memory fresh for the youngsters who didn't get to see him, especially given he was a young man with a young family
    Spot on. Its not like we are demanding a stand at Wembley named after him!!! Hes a huge part of our modern history, was a top class human being according to those who knew him and there is no-one I can think of in the 30 years ive been watching Cardiff who deserves more to be celebrated with a statue or a stand named after him.

So what if he was "just a championship player" we are just a championship club.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    If it gets done, does it matter who gets the credit?
    Correct. Cant even name a stand after one of our greatest players, whos life was sadly cut short, without it turning into a pissing contest.

Well whatever his level he was as good as it got when I think of the players I have seen for us.

Even a stint in the top flight won't change that considering the the years he banged in some of those goals with nonchalance and iconic non celebration. Of course his early passing has brought this topic up but I still think its valid.

Club legend and he should be remembered by the club somehow who over the years have been poor in that regard, only took 90 years or whatever for a Keenor statue.

Besides if Brum can retire a teenagers shirt I'm sure we can name a stand after Whitts.

For the record,

I'm in the Family Stand or statue group because, amongst other reasons, he appears in top 10 of both leading appearance makers and leading goal-scorers.

I disagree with those in the "name the stadium after him" or "a stand and a statue" groups. That's going overboard, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Well whatever his level he was as good as it got when I think of the players I have seen for us.

Even a stint in the top flight won't change that considering the the years he banged in some of those goals with nonchalance and iconic non celebration. Of course his early passing has brought this topic up but I still think its valid.

Club legend and he should be remembered by the club somehow who over the years have been poor in that regard, only took 90 years or whatever for a Keenor statue.

Besides if Brum can retire a teenagers shirt I'm sure we can name a stand after Whitts.
    Nonchalance. If ever there was a word to describe Whitts thats it.

The ironic thing is he probably wouldnt want such a fuss made over this.

Still hard to compute hes not with us anymore. RIP Whitts.

Im still very bitter about the way Colin subbed him off in his last ever appearance for us.

I tend not to look at my work colleagues and friends when measuring success.

My success is my success.

CCFC success is CCFC success.

What does it matter what he was to other clubs? Its what he was to us and CCFC that matters here, surely?

Correct. Cant even name a stand after one of our greatest players, whos life was sadly cut short, without it turning into a pissing contest.
    Pathetic mate. Like squabbling children jumping to tell the teacher.

Molineaux has a stand named after Steve Bull. He was largely a "championship player" and im sure there will be other clubs lower down the pyramid who have stands named after ex-players.

Surely the whole point of naming a stand after an ex-player is his meaning to that particular club not the footballing fraternity in general.

You are right , however it is what we want ,sadly we never had huge success and great players where we can easily apply remembrances that the football world know .

As the song goes " he was one of our own" , so let's remember his amazing contribution at Cardiff City and that joy he delivered to those fans /

It struck me the other day we've not see the like since in terms of goal tally , wonderful moments from a midfield player

RIP Peter : I'm at my "Whitt's End waiting for this stand