+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Peter Whittingham Stand

Re: The Peter Whittingham Stand

Bournemouth have a stand named after Steve Fletcher. Its irrelevant at what level he played at.

Whitts was a phenomenal player for us. Incredible stats in goals and assists.

Stand with a statue outside would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Molineaux has a stand named after Steve Bull. He was largely a "championship player" and im sure there will be other clubs lower down the pyramid who have stands named after ex-players.

Surely the whole point of naming a stand after an ex-player is his meaning to that particular club not the footballing fraternity in general.
    Exactly, the level is irrelevant, its what they meant to the club that matters

Steve Fletcher had 20 years at Bournemouth as a player, has worked as a scout, asssistant coach and now an ambassador. only 97 of his 725 games were away from Bournemouth, he tops their all-time appearances and is 3rd in all time goal-scorers.

Steve Bull only had 30 games away from Wolves in a 504 game career, played 13 years at the club, 3rd in all time appearances, and is their top-goal scorer of all time.

Peter Whittingham played 94 games away from Cardiff in a 507 game career, 10.5 years at our club, and appears in top-10 of all time goal-scorers and all time appearances.

Yes Whittingham is most deserving of any modern era player of a stand being named or a statue but not comparable to players named on this thread at other clubs.

But does Whitts deserve statue and a stand or the stadium named after him? What if Aaron Ramsey returns to score the goals to take us into the Champions League then again as a manager to oversee 10 years of success - are we re-naming the Peter Whittingham Stadium after him? We do need room to go up if someone achieves more.

I mean, not much point in asking the question as the thing actually being talked about is renaming the Family Stand which I agree with, but it does show how relatively small our legends have been up until this point because we've spent most time as average or worse and most players have moved on fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Steve Fletcher had 20 years at Bournemouth as a player, has worked as a scout, asssistant coach and now an ambassador. only 97 of his 725 games were away from Bournemouth, he tops their all-time appearances and is 3rd in all time goal-scorers.

Steve Bull only had 30 games away from Wolves in a 504 game career, played 13 years at the club, 3rd in all time appearances, and is their top-goal scorer of all time.

Peter Whittingham played 94 games away from Cardiff in a 507 game career, 10.5 years at our club, and appears in top-10 of all time goal-scorers and all time appearances.

Yes Whittingham is most deserving of any modern era player of a stand being named or a statue but not comparable to players named on this thread at other clubs. Towards the last few seasons (plural) more threads on here were negative about his performances than positive.

But does Whitts deserve statue and a stand or the stadium named after him? What if Aaron Ramsey returns to score the goals to take us into the Champions League then again as a manager to oversee 10 years of success - are we re-naming the Peter Whittingham Stadium after him? We do need room to go up if someone achieves more.

I mean, not much point in asking the question as the thing actually being talked about is renaming the Family Stand which I agree with, but it does show how relatively small our legends have been up until this point because we've spent most time as average or worse and most players have moved on fairly quickly.
    If your sister had bollocks she would be your brother.

We know you never really rated Whitts and was one of his biggest critics but your bitterness on this thread is bordering on the spiteful.

If your sister had bollocks she would be your brother.

We know you never really rated Whitts and was one of his biggest critics but your bitterness on this thread is bordering on the spiteful.
    Maybe I'm not communicating the nuance of my point well enough and that's my failure cause I know he's very important to some on here:

Stand or statue: I agree. "Whittingham was a great for us", "our legends", "top 10 in both appearances and goals - even better record if just league counted" are all comments made by me in this thread.
    Stand and statue: I disagree.
    Renaming the stadium: I disagree.
    Comparable to Wolves and Bull or Bournemouth and Fletcher: I disagree.

I'd recognise him making his home in south Wales is another reason to remember him with stand or statue.

But I'd love to know where you got the idea I was one of his biggest critics from. I've been on here decades so plenty of posts to send me to remind me what I said.

Ian Greaves has stand named after him at Mansfield. He managed them for 6 years and gained 1 promotion.

Maybe I'm not communicating the nuance of my point well enough and that's my failure cause I know he's very important to some on here:

Stand or statue: I agree. "Whittingham was a great for us", "our legends", "top 10 in both appearances and goals - even better record if just league counted" are all comments made by me in this thread.
    Stand and statue: I disagree.
    Renaming the stadium: I disagree.
    Comparable to Wolves and Bull or Bournemouth and Fletcher: I disagree.

I'd recognise him making his home in south Wales is another reason to remember him with stand or statue.

But I'd love to know where you got the idea I was one of his biggest critics from. I've been on here decades so plenty of posts to send me to remind me what I said.
    Why isnt it comparable to Bull? Both played 400+ games for their clubs. Whitts played just 61 fewer games for us than Bull did for Wolves. Yes Bull scored more goals but he was a striker. Can stands only be named after strikers? Add their assists and I doubt Whitts would be far behind him.

He only played Under 21/23 level for England, but think how he would have influenced England if he had played last Sunday. A PW in his pomp was far better than Grealish, who everybody raves about.

There are lots of players who have served City very well over the years. Fred Keenor, Tom Farquharson, Billy Hardy Len Davies, Hughie Ferguson, Jimmy Blair and others Pre War. Players like Stan Montgomery, Danny Malloy, Colin Baker, Alan Harrington, Alf Sherwood, Ron Stitfall, Graham Vearnecombe, Ivor Allchurch, Derek Tapscott, Barry Hole, Brian Clark, John Toshack, Don Murray, Peter King, Gary Bell, Dave Carver, Leighton Phillips, Bill Irwin, Ron Healey, Phil Dwyer, John Buchanan, Tony Evans Roger Gibbins and many many more were all good/great for the club. But in the more modern era only Peter Whittingham really stands out.

He is 3rd in our all time League Appearances list, behind Phil Dwyer and Tom Farquharson.

He is 3rd in our League Goalscorers list behind Len Davies and Robert Earnshaw. He score more goals than Toshack, Clark or Tapscott from midfield/wing.

And he passed away tragically at such a young age. I don't think too many people would object if he received some sort of recognition from the Club. I know the Trust suggested a stand naming as a possibility. But its up to the club.

This thread is reminding me how average, or worse, Cardiff City have been for majority of their existence.

Whittingham was a great for us but for 99% of fans he was a very good Championship player only. How many clubs have fans asking for the stadium (or a statue and a stand) to be named after a very good Championship player?
    Whitts could have bounced around the lower half of the Premier League and been a tidy player... or he could be a legend at one club. He was happy here, he stayed here after he retired (Bamba is already back in Leeds for example, not that there's anything wrong with that) and loved the club. We were about the 20th-25th best club side in the country for about 10 years!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Instead of his full could we not called it the Whitt's End ( I now some may laugh ,but it has a quickness about it which we as fans know about )
    It's been mentioned many times. For me, officially calling it The Whitts End and making a pun devalues it. We can use it ourselves, but the official name should be his name.

In years to come, fans and journalists won't appreciate who he was and what he meant to us. It'll appear in shitty "10 weird things about soccer" articles on shitty clickbait articles. Away fans will call it "Shitts End".He deserves more than that.

Why isnt it comparable to Bull? Both played 400+ games for their clubs. Whitts played just 61 fewer games for us than Bull did for Wolves. Yes Bull scored more goals but he was a striker. Can stands only be named after strikers? Add their assists and I doubt Whitts would be far behind him.
    Think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one then.

I'd be disagreeing just as hard with anyone who says Whitts isn't deserving of special action to remember him by as I have been with the "rename the stadium" group.

****ing hell surge just be happy he's getting something.

Do we REALLY have to argue if a stand and statue is too much or what stand it is.

Have a day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Well, you think wrong !

After consultation with members I believe the Trust put the idea of renaming the Family Stand to the club at the end of March. Consultation with the family was mentioned in the original discussion. Nearly 4 months later no response.
    That's odd, as on May 19 the Trust reported that they were pleased the issue had been discussed at Board level at CCFC

As a Trust member I can't remember any correspondence asking for my opinions on this, and I certainly can't find any feedback from the Trust on members views.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    That's odd, as on May 19 the Trust reported that they were pleased the issue had been discussed at Board level at CCFC

As a Trust member I can't remember any correspondence asking for my opinions on this, and I certainly can't find any feedback from the Trust on members views.
    I sent this message;-

"Peter Whittingham Tribute

One of our long-standing members has suggested that in the wake of the 1st anniversary of Peter Whittingham's passing that the club should consider naming the Family Stand after the Bluebirds legend.

We wanted to seek the views of all members on this suggestion to honour Whitts.

Of course, it will ultimately be up to the club to decide if this idea can be taken forward and there could, of course, be issues surrounding sponsorship of stands.

However, despite the potential caveats, we'd are very interested in hearing what members think. Please respond to members@ccfctrust.org"

to Trust members in March and it got well above the average number of replies we normally get for our messages.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I sent this message;-

"Peter Whittingham Tribute

One of our long-standing members has suggested that in the wake of the 1st anniversary of Peter Whittingham's passing that the club should consider naming the Family Stand after the Bluebirds legend.

We wanted to seek the views of all members on this suggestion to honour Whitts.

Of course, it will ultimately be up to the club to decide if this idea can be taken forward and there could, of course, be issues surrounding sponsorship of stands.

However, despite the potential caveats, we'd are very interested in hearing what members think. Please respond to members@ccfctrust.org"

to Trust members in March and it got well above the average number of replies we normally get for our messages.
    cut him some slack Bob, He was probably in Prestatyn buying fruit and veg.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    cut him some slack Bob, He was probably in Prestatyn buying fruit and veg.
    😂

That thread did me. "why cant I drive to brecon to buy meat"

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    ��

That thread did me. "why cant I drive to brecon to buy meat"
    Yeah, he wouldn't let it go, either.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Thanks for posting that Jon. I think every City fan old enough to have seen him play for us would have an idea of what a typical Whitts goal was - I left out three of four that might have qualified while watching that video and still saw thirty one of them!