+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No new signings. That’s it then

No new signings. That’s it then

MM has made a very definite statement that we’ve finished incoming business for the year.

End of then really. Hard to see us getting very far with a squad of free transfers and learners.

The only possibility is that MM can mould them in his own image and get them playing to an exact system he’s devised , and that any such system works of course. He’s done similar tricks before so let’s hope.

We’ll know after a few games but in the worst case scenario we might find out they can’t cut it then we’ll be chasing a relegation battle and potentially losing points week on week with no possible reinforcements until after Christmas.

Re: No new signings. That’s it then

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    MM has made a very definite statement that we’ve finished incoming business for the year.

End of then really. Hard to see us getting very far with a squad of free transfers and learners.

The only possibility is that MM can mould them in his own image and get them playing to an exact system he’s devised , and that any such system works of course. He’s done similar tricks before so let’s hope.

We’ll know after a few games but in the worst case scenario we might find out they can’t cut it then we’ll be chasing a relegation battle and potentially losing points week on week with no possible reinforcements until after Christmas.

Bloody hell, you’re a cheerful chap

He is not the only one on here.
    All I hear is that we are skint but isn't most of the league in the same boat.
    Lot depends on what happens with Keifer but if he stays I think we will push for the play offs

Apart from the 3 coming down, have clubs in the Championship been spending money in the close season ? According to this, the answer is a resounding no !
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cham...wettbewerb/GB2

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post

Looking forward to the new season I see. Think you said something very similar last season.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Apart from the 3 coming down, have clubs in the Championship been spending money in the close season ? According to this, the answer is a resounding no !
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cham...wettbewerb/GB2
    Any club with a half decent squad, manager and maybe a few quid to spend will fly it this season, no doubt many clubs are struggling so it’s there for the taking I reckon.

Comman sense would say people have to leave now.
    I'd bet good money we see more come in although maybe not the big singing some crave.

Plus don't people want youth coming through?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Looking forward to the new season I see. Think you said something very similar last season.
    No I really didn’t .
    I thought we were going to stay up in the premiership and I thought we’d at least get into the playoffs last year. If anything I’m too optimistic but it’s a long time since we’ve been short of proven players and I’m not sure how we overcome that problem.
    Hope we can.

He’s not the sort to show his hand and if a deal comes up, he’ll be in there.
    At the moment, the club are in a net positive position for the window, which is unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Comman sense would say people have to leave now.
    I'd bet good money we see more come in although maybe not the big singing some crave.

Plus don't people want youth coming through?
    comman and singing you say..

Unpopular opinion: I don't think we need any more signings.

I'd be happy with the following:

Phillips

Morrison McGuinness Nelson

Ng Bagan/Davies

Ralls Wintle

Giles Colwill/Murphy/Tomlin

Moore

I never rated Bennett so I don't see the youngsters as a major step down at left back.

Ralls and Wintle are way better than any combination of Bacuna/Pack/Vaulks.

Giles has the ability to replace Wilson.

Collins will be a decent enough backup for Moore. He'll score more in this league than Glatzel did.

I think it's a better side than the one that just finished 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I never rated Bennett so I don't see the youngsters as a major step down at left back.

Collins will be a decent enough backup for Moore. He'll score more in this league than Glatzel did.

Good post! I find myself agreeing with most of what you say.

It might be the end of incoming business but is it also the end of outgoings ? If a tempting offer for Kieffer came along I would not be surprised if the club accepted it. If that was the case and part of the proceeds were not re-invested then I would be a bit concerned.

Vaulks was one of the players of the season last year !

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    It might be the end of incoming business but is it also the end of outgoings ? If a tempting offer for Kieffer came along I would not be surprised if the club accepted it. If that was the case and part of the proceeds were not re-invested then I would be a bit concerned.
    It's hard to read this window, but I would have thought there would be some noise already if a big offer was going to come in for Kieffer Moore - either a lower Premier League club or a recently relegated club in the Championship (with parachute money to spend). There has been nothing. It would take an eight figure bid to prise him away, and in the current Covid football economy I doubt that size of bid will be made now as a late window punt given his age and the standard of league he has operated in since he broke through. I thought Burnley or Sheffield United might have shown interest - but by the time of Wales' Euro elimination at the latest.

I also thought Gavin Whyte was a certain leaver. Not sure now.

We have a big enough squad to play two XI's against Cambridge while missing a number injured or being given first rest in 18 months.

Our budget is smaller than has been in recent memory and interest in purchasing from us to mitigate this much reduced as well.

Though Wintle appears to buck the trend, majority of our senior pros in midfield are too similar and majority of senior pros in defence too similar also.

It's unlikely that we get promoted this season, caveat being that no full judgement can be made until 11+ games in, but we could put in place foundations for good shot at following year if we're smart about it.

Bennett has been our best left back in years, a quality player at this level. if the youngsters are able to operate at his level I'll be delighted.

hopeful about Wintle, but we shouldn't base too much on one preseason game.

Likewise, I'd be very happy if Giles gives us what we have lost in Wilson. Wilson was and would be again one of the best players in the League. Giles could be but we don't know yet.

I look forward to every season if the signings we have made are this year are on par with last year namely NG and Moore ,who knows what the season will bring , if cautious expenditure save us from huge debt , hey ho. let go.

It was an encouraging showing by Giles yesterday, but getting on for a half of his forty odd Championship appearances last season were as a substitute for teams that finished some way below us - it’s asking, and expecting, a lot that he will seamlessly step in for Wilson.

We have lost creativity and flair with Wilson leaving, while Bennett, Hoilett, Ojo were all capable of adding something in those departments. Tomlin at 19/20 levels will make up for some of that, as would a consistent and confident Murphy, while Colwill will help if he continues to develop. Even with Tomlin two seasons ago and Wilson last season, we were hardly among the more creative Championship teams though and we look to be short of those levels at the moment.

If we can’t sign any more players (I’m not sure that we won’t- it would be naive to believe everything a manager told the media), then I’d be watching how Kieron Evans, who’s not played at all this season yet, does in the next few weeks very closely because, at Development team level at least, he has that creativity we lack.

I take what MM says about signings with a pinch of salt,albeit anyone new coming in will have to be balanced with outgoings.
    We have a large squad, particularly if several young players are going to be brought into it.
    I agree with TOBW, unless Giles shines and Tomlin gets back to his previous form we are still lacking in creativity and width.
    I am not sure it would be fair to expect Colwill to bring that yet.

You must also remember that Harris had no clue about Wilson until he arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    You must also remember that Harris had no clue about Wilson until he arrived.
    really? I'm sure he was aware of him. probably faced him a couple of times at least

The right club could buy promotion this year.

I assume a bounce back for WBA