+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 degrees again tomorrow

Re: 30 degrees again tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    1976 convinced me that I would never, ever want to live in country with constant heat, ridiculous unbroken run of hot, hot weather.
    Yeah, but it's different, even the heat is different. In hotter countries we would adapt and become used to it. Because we only get two or three weeks of this, we can't really change our habits, lifestyle etc. When i was 20, i did 2 months in southern spain, there isn't even a cloud down there in summer. We started early, then worked a few hours late afternoon, evening. The biggest difference was the speed we worked at, or lack of. We still carry on like it's April.

I love the weather when on holidays and abroad relaxing by the pool, air con at night in the hotel etc.
    I'm well and truly fcuked now though after this week, completely wrecked from working solid and lack of sleep.

Talk of another heatwave in August also? I'll be booking that week off for sure

Been nice to get down to Pembrokeshire this week where it felt a bit cooler than Cardiff, place down there has a very shady cool downstairs (where the bedrooms are) so sleeping was joyous compared to here. I’ll never forget picking grapes in outback Oz when I was 19, 42 degrees most days, we started at 6am and finished at 1….with a slab of piss (as they say down under) to share on the way back to the caravan….

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yeah, but it's different, even the heat is different. In hotter countries we would adapt and become used to it. Because we only get two or three weeks of this, we can't really change our habits, lifestyle etc. When i was 20, i did 2 months in southern spain, there isn't even a cloud down there in summer. We started early, then worked a few hours late afternoon, evening. The biggest difference was the speed we worked at, or lack of. We still carry on like it's April.
    You’re right there about pace of work, we hit our targets, generally, whatever the weather. I did the Germany stint years ago and they relied on us for the speed whereas the Germans, sensibly I guess, did their day’s work and clocked off whatever stage the job was at, and picked up where they left off the next day. If you’re like me you’ll very often have a target for that day with the philosophy that attaining it will make tomorrow easier……..until tomorrow

I’m still convinced…. Oh, the hot spell, just checked, 23rd of June until the 27th of August, from the 23rd of June - 7th of July at least one place in the UK reached 32.2 degrees. It was relentless, severe drought, with the government bringing out the slogan, ‘Save water, bath with a friend’.
    Eventually Dennis Howell, an ex football league referee and Minister for Sport was appointed Minister for Drought. To my mind he’s the most successful politician ever because when the weather broke it pissed down for weeks……what an appointment

Blimey that is a proper stint, I wouldn't envy those working outside during that

You’re right there about pace of work, we hit our targets, generally, whatever the weather. I did the Germany stint years ago and they relied on us for the speed whereas the Germans, sensibly I guess, did their day’s work and clocked off whatever stage the job was at, and picked up where they left off the next day. If you’re like me you’ll very often have a target for that day with the philosophy that attaining it will make tomorrow easier……..until tomorrow
    Exactly the same as you when it comes to targets. Although what I would do at times, just for self preservation, was work up until the target was met, not stopping. Sometimes that's 2pm, others it's 6, if it ****s up. Grafting is a mugs game though.

International

I remember '76 too. And I was doing an outside job where you couldn't work in a vest or shirt sleeves, full kitted up all day, no choice. It was HOT!

I remember 76 too. We had our caravan at Pentewan Sands camp site near Mevagissey. We were there for four weeks. It was just continual sun. Fantastic memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Exactly the same as you when it comes to targets. Although what I would do at times, just for self preservation, was work up until the target was met, not stopping. Sometimes that's 2pm, others it's 6, if it ****s up. Grafting is a mugs game though.
    It’s not too bad if you’re the main man and nobody has a bite of the money before you. In my opinion, certainly in construction, working for a firm very often means you’re working very hard to make a lot of money for someone else.