+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Extreme weather warning

Extreme weather warning

"UK weather warnings - Met Office" https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2021-07-19

Re: Extreme weather warning

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    My pants have been dripping wet for days , it's a bit late for that now 🙃

No doubt that global warming is indeed here and causing enormous catastrophes and cataclysms - but the amount of yellow warnings issued in the space of the last year regarding the UK has perhaps been a little on the sensitive side. I have to check such things most weekends and it has been quite surprising.....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    No doubt that global warming is indeed here and causing enormous catastrophes and cataclysms - but the amount of yellow warnings issued in the space of the last year regarding the UK has perhaps been a little on the sensitive side. I have to check such things most weekends and it has been quite surprising.....
    To be fair I was just a nipper in 76 but remember it being oppressive for weeks

Unless I was mistaken

This is unbearable though , 20 is fine , cool in the evenings

But 30 ?

Its like a wet sweaty blanket has dropped on us

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    To be fair I was just a nipper in 76 but remember it being oppressive for weeks

Unless I was mistaken

This is unbearable though , 20 is fine , cool in the evenings
    But 30 ?

Its like a wet sweaty blanket has dropped on us
    You sre not mistaken. Just posted in the other "heat" thread, the UK has "wet heat".

It was hotter in 1976.

.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_British_Isles_heat_wave#:~:text=In%20the%20Ce ntral%20England%20Temperature,C%20(61.34%20%C2%B0F ).

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    It was hotter in 1976.

So global warming must be over if we're getting cooler

Global warming was dropped as a term because those wishing to deny the very real science suggested it meant everywhere getting hotter.

As far as I can tell, in the UK it means hotter and drier summers and wetter winters - weather becoming more extreme.

Not going to say a hot week in July is due to climate change but we're heading for this sort of uncomfortable weather (and worse) far more often be that in summer or winter. The UK's response is about 10-15 years behind where it should be and we're a good 10-15 years ahead of some nations.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Global warming was dropped as a term because those wishing to deny the very real science suggested it meant everywhere getting hotter.

As far as I can tell, in the UK it means hotter and drier summers and wetter winters - weather becoming more extreme.

Not going to say a hot week in July is due to climate change but we're heading for this sort of uncomfortable weather (and worse) far more often be that in summer or winter. The UK's response is about 10-15 years behind where it should be and we're a good 10-15 years ahead of some nations.
    True. Climate Change are the key words now.

I note my one testicle is sweaty than the other , could it be gonad warming ?

It was hotter in 1976.

Not only hotter but the hot dry weather lasted weeks, not just days. I know because a rode a motor bike to work every day through that summer and never needed to put on waterproofs for what seemed like weeks on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Not only hotter but the hot dry weather lasted weeks, not just days. I know because a rode a motor bike to work every day through that summer and never needed to put on waterproofs for what seemed like weeks on end.
    I can remember the day it finally rained. It was a Saturday afternoon and I was in High Street in Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I can remember the day it finally rained. It was a Saturday afternoon and I was in High Street in Barry.
    I also remember the day it finally rained - I didn't attempt to run for cover, it felt so refreshing to walk in it... even the rain felt warm!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Some nice shops there

The knightsbridge of Bazra

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I note my one testicle is sweaty than the other , could it be gonad warming ?
    No, that's bollocks.

The difference for me this time has been that, until late last week, it had been a cool spring and summer and so, even a rise in temperature into the mid twenties seemed drastic (or it did to me anyway!). With 1976, although it was very hot at times, we were used to it being warm and sunny virtually every day.

It was hotter in 1976.

It was probably hotter 75 million years ago as well. But that isn't relevant to this week either.

It was probably hotter 75 million years ago as well. But that isn't relevant to this week either.
    Are you suggesting that we only post about the 'here and now', and that any similar links to the past, should not be mentioned?

There are at least five posts connected to that unbelievable heatwave of '76.

Of course, if you weren't even born then...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Are you suggesting that we only post about the 'here and now', and that any similar links to the past, should not be mentioned?

There are at least five posts connected to that unbelievable heatwave of '76.

Of course, if you weren't even born then...
    People can post whatever they like, obviously.

Post seemed a bit "yeah but 76 was better" though and I'm not sure why it matters.

The only thing that kept me awake last night was the noise from the fecking fan 😫😫

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    The only thing that kept me awake last night was the noise from the fecking fan ����
    same here.Wife has it on full blast, won't let me turn it down.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    same here.Wife has it on full blast, won't let me turn it down.
    They told you it was a fan?

The only thing that kept me awake last night was the noise from the fecking fan 😫😫
    Just ask the fan politely, to stop clapping

I like the fan noise. I use it year-round.

Good news for Sludge and all of us fan insomniac’s - rain is forecast from this Saturday for a week lol ☔️ ☔️☔️☔️☔️