+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Premier League footballer arrested on suspicion of child sex offences

Re: Premier League footballer arrested on suspicion of child sex offences

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    No. The law stops the name from being reported as he hasn't been charged, but they are free to use other details to describe who it is.

Like how the mail said a 31 year old married Everton player who regularly plays for his international team was arrested by North Manchester police. I don't know why you or the other guy is trying to pretend otherwise, there's no legal ramifications for any of us by saying it's quite obviously Gylfi that's been arrested. No-one is saying he's guilty.
    I was only querying what the police are or are not allowed to say about the person arrested. I'm not pretending anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    The more money you’ve got determines how guilty you are it seems?
    OJ got off - best lawyers money could buy
    Oscar Pistorious not so lucky
    Prince Andrew never met the girl in question
    Harry Rednapp’s dog was guilty 😂
    You've just reminded me of a topical (in 1994) knock knock joke

"Knock knock"
    "who's there?"
    "OJ"
    "OJ who?"
    "Get sworn in, you're on the jury!"

Are you Pedro Martinez, Ronnie? I recognise the writing style.

“He’s defiantly been nicked; all my contacts on Merseyside have confirmed this all day.

You could add, resisting arrest to the charge sheet based on that bit of reporting.

By the way, how did you vote on Browny's Foxy Knoxy poll, Yes or No?

Innocent until proven guilty!!
    I’m not sure how the Police can actually police what’s said online?
    Especially after my dealings with ActionFraud
    Complete waste of fecking time
    Look what happened a few years back with the Ryan Giggs super injunction trying to gag the press.
    Social media won.
    If the authorities can only prosecute one solitary racist for the hate crimes directed at Rashford and Co after they’re unlucky penalty misses ( and that was after the retard posted online under his own name pmsl) then what chance of successful prosecutions over speculation?
    Good luck with that.
    We don’t even know if it’s true or what he’s actually accused of?
    There is hope however….a serial shagger and adulterer (proven) with assault charges thrown in to spice up proceedings and you could still manage your country 🤔
    Until proven Gylfi. Keep up mun 😂

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    https://davidbanksmedialaw.com/2011/...w-to-avoid-it/

The Contempt of Court Act 1981 swept this aside and created the concept of ‘active’ proceedings. Proceedings are active when someone has been arrested; a warrant has been issued; they have been orally charged or an information has been laid. If none of these things has happened then contempt evaporates as a problem – publish whatever you like.

3. OK, proceedings ARE active, what should I avoid

Publishing something which creates a substantial risk of serious prejudice or serious impediment to those proceedings.

4. What does that mean?

Well, that’s a little subjective, but case law has shown the following to be a problem:

*Photos or descriptions where identity is at issue – ie the defendant claims it was not him who committed the crime and the prosecution has eyewitnesses whose testimony has to be tested by way of an ID parade. They must rely on their memory of the offence, not a photo helpfully published by the media. This action cause the record fine for contempt (so far) £80,000 for the Sun and £20,000 for Kelvin MacKenzie as editor.

*Assumptions of guilt – in crime reports, police have arrested A man, not THE man.

*Previous convictions – not normally allowed in as evidence, so don’t go informing the jury of them.

*Blackening a defendant’s character – if the prosecution do it in front of the jury, that’s fine. Just don’t do it yourself as they await trial.

5. Does this mean a media blackout about a crime if proceedings are active?

No. The CCA 1981 was drafted in response to the Sunday Times coverage of the Thalidomide scandal, which had been found in contempt under the old common law. The ST took an appeal all the way to the European Court of Human Rights, which ruled that the common law contempt, as applied, was in breach of the ST’s right to freedom of speech. So the CCA 1981 includes a Section 5 defence of ‘discussion of public affairs’. So, for example, a euthanasia trial does not shut down all mention or discussion in the media of the issues of euthanasia. But such discussion should avoid direct commentary on the trial.
    You seem like brilliant company.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Was Bill Cosby innocent?
    ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Well here's what the Attorney general has to say about it, he's a tad more reliable a source than keyboard barristers!
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...ces/ar-AAMmtn0

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Well here's what the Attorney general has to say about it, he's a tad more reliable a source than keyboard barristers!
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...ces/ar-AAMmtn0
    The police put it out the arrested footballer was thirty one and then Everton posted that one of their players had been suspended. Apparently, there are only two players at Everton who fit the bill so to speak, so good luck with trying to get people to stop trying to find out which one of the pair it is and then putting it online. Once something like social media becomes available for large percentages of the population, you won't begin to stop people using it in the manner it has been in this case unless there is direct intervention by the authorities into what can be posted on the various platforms and there's no sign at all yet that is going to be happening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The police put it out the arrested footballer was thirty one and then Everton posted that one of their players had been suspended. Apparently, there are only two players at Everton who fit the bill so to speak, so good luck with trying to get people to stop trying to find out which one of the pair it is and then putting it online. Once something like social media becomes available for large percentages of the population, you won't begin to stop people using it in the manner it has been in this case unless there is direct intervention by the authorities into what can be posted on the various platforms and there's no sign at all yet that is going to be happening anytime soon.
    Narrows to one Bob, as Delph isn't a regular international (sure that was a description in one of the write ups)

Leaves one name.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thats besides the point, the point being that if anyone names him, the poster and the message board could potentially be prosecuted for contempt! and we know it has happened in the past in cases like Ched Evans where people named the woman, so its to like it doesnt happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Thats besides the point, the point being that if anyone names him, the poster and the message board could potentially be prosecuted for contempt! and we know it has happened in the past in cases like Ched Evans where people named the woman, so its to like it doesnt happen.
    What you might get is a token prosecution or two, but the genies out of the bottle in this instance.

This is how the sun have got round it. Can't see any problems with this...

Apparently slept with a 15 year old prostitute, they've tried to blackmail him for it and he's said no, so they've gone to the old bill.

Like I said, apparently.

Probably a million other stories doing the rounds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Apparently slept with a 15 year old prostitute, they've tried to blackmail him for it and he's said no, so they've gone to the old bill.

Like I said, apparently.

Presumably you meant "allegedly" as that might keep you out of trouble in a libel action.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Cosby got off on a technicality based around promises made to Cosby about what he was going to be charged with

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/01/a...urned-why.html

Like I said, apparently.

how would that kind of detail emerge?

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Presumably you meant "allegedly" as that might keep you out of trouble in a libel action.
    Aye mate. That'd be if I cared. I don't.

Genuinely appreciate the kindness though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    how would that kind of detail emerge?
    We wait.

May be a male not a female.

Who knows.

It’ll all come out in the wash lol
    Why is it we all revel in someone else’s misfortune (or poor judgement)??
    These unfortunate’s are all overpaid as well as far as I’m concerned whether a sports celeb - actor or politician
    I think the last two could be rolled into one 😆

We wait.

May be a male not a female.

Who knows.
    Pictures being widely shared now showing the girl.

How the **** he didn't even have a hint of an idea she was underage I don't know.
    He must've known.

Never mind pics showing the alleged girl
    Have you seen pics of Gylfi’s Mrs??
    Oh my days
    Absolute cracker
    Can’t for the life of me see anyone playing away 😊🥰🤪

Pictures being widely shared now showing the girl.

How the **** he didn't even have a hint of an idea she was underage I don't know.
    He must've known.

so...what;s the link to her pictures?

Never mind pics showing the alleged girl
    Have you seen pics of Gylfi’s Mrs??
    Oh my days
    Absolute cracker
    Can’t for the life of me see anyone playing away ������
    So his alleged behaviour seems even more strange, given that he's got a cracking looking missus?

yes...she is F......lippin nice....but hey...do not believe everything that is alleged....