+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Warnock getting the band back together?

  1. #1
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,460

    Warnock getting the band back together?

    Good few stories today not only suggesting that Sol Bamba may get a one year contract at the Riverside, but also that Warnock is trying to bring in Junior Hoilett and Kadeem Harris (now a free agent). Added to that Mendez-Laing is in discussions with Boro after his cameo last season, and I saw one claim that Warnock is also looking at Calum Paterson.

    If I was a Boro fan I think I would be worried not excited.

  2. #2

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Bloody hell


    Feel for them

  3. #3

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Warnock screwed us over with long, expensive contracts for players too similar to each other thus creating a large but unbalanced and limited squad.

    One year contracts for old favourites is Chapter One and Two in the Warnock story where the next Chapter is Championship success and the final Chapter is long, expensive...you get the idea.

    Boro should be looking for their next manager now.

  4. #4

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Good few stories today not only suggesting that Sol Bamba may get a one year contract at the Riverside, but also that Warnock is trying to bring in Junior Hoilett and Kadeem Harris (now a free agent). Added to that Mendez-Laing is in discussions with Boro after his cameo last season, and I saw one claim that Warnock is also looking at Calum Paterson.

    If I was a Boro fan I think I would be worried not excited.
    Perhaps Warnock is doing a favour for some of his old players and trying to drum up interest in them from other clubs? I'll be surprised if Middlesbrough sign any of that lot apart from Hoilett.

  5. #5

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Good few stories today not only suggesting that Sol Bamba may get a one year contract at the Riverside, but also that Warnock is trying to bring in Junior Hoilett and Kadeem Harris (now a free agent). Added to that Mendez-Laing is in discussions with Boro after his cameo last season, and I saw one claim that Warnock is also looking at Calum Paterson.

    If I was a Boro fan I think I would be worried not excited.
    Tbh this is what Warnock did well, picking up a few frees and getting the most out of them. I thinkBamba is pushing it but the others all have something to offer. It's his big money signings that we're the issue.

  6. #6

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Jobs for the boys 🤨

  7. #7

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Warnock screwed us over with long, expensive contracts for players too similar to each other thus creating a large but unbalanced and limited squad.

    One year contracts for old favourites is Chapter One and Two in the Warnock story where the next Chapter is Championship success and the final Chapter is long, expensive...you get the idea.

    Boro should be looking for their next manager now.
    Yeah right, he really screwed us over - got a relegation threatened championship team into the Premier League within 18 months by spending around £10m and brought in about £120m of extra revenue in the process. Honest to god I really do despair with the attitude of some people on here. Boro fans should be rubbing their hands in glee.if they have any sense.

  8. #8

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yeah right, he really screwed us over - got a relegation threatened championship team into the Premier League within 18 months by spending around £10m and brought in about £120m of extra revenue in the process. Honest to god I really do despair with the attitude of some people on here. Boro fans should be rubbing their hands in glee.if they have any sense.
    #tryhard

  9. #9

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yeah right, he really screwed us over - got a relegation threatened championship team into the Premier League within 18 months by spending around £10m and brought in about £120m of extra revenue in the process. Honest to god I really do despair with the attitude of some people on here. Boro fans should be rubbing their hands in glee.if they have any sense.
    + 1

  10. #10

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yeah right, he really screwed us over - got a relegation threatened championship team into the Premier League within 18 months by spending around £10m and brought in about £120m of extra revenue in the process. Honest to god I really do despair with the attitude of some people on here. Boro fans should be rubbing their hands in glee.if they have any sense.
    Is that you again, Blackie? 🤣

    I’d be surprised if he went for Kadeem / didn’t he release him?

  11. #11

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yeah right, he really screwed us over - got a relegation threatened championship team into the Premier League within 18 months by spending around £10m and brought in about £120m of extra revenue in the process. Honest to god I really do despair with the attitude of some people on here. Boro fans should be rubbing their hands in glee.if they have any sense.
    he did fantastically to get us promoted, and that's about it really.
    since relegation we've had an unfair advantage over many other teams in this league in terms of parachute payments. we have completely squandered it on inflated wages and fees for average players. we should have been left amongst the strongest teams in the league, but I don't think anyone would say that now.
    he left us with an ageing, completely unbalanced squad, and some players who weren't performing with years to run on huge wages and little chance to move them on. Several transfer windows later we are still trying to clean up the mess.

    Brentford's plan for promotion assumes that they may get relegated twice over the next 5 years but they will take the opportunity to invest and to come back stronger. we've been relegated twice and now are weaker than in years.
    we didn't bring ANY youth players through under his watch, now under different managers they get some game time and surprise surprise they are good enough.
    he gave a 34 year old Sol Bamba another year contract when he was in the middle of recovering from a cruciate ligament injury.

    he definitely has some real strengths, but unchecked he did a lot of damage to the club as well as the good stuff

  12. #12

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yeah right, he really screwed us over - got a relegation threatened championship team into the Premier League within 18 months by spending around £10m and brought in about £120m of extra revenue in the process. Honest to god I really do despair with the attitude of some people on here. Boro fans should be rubbing their hands in glee.if they have any sense.

  13. #13

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Warnock screwed us over with long, expensive contracts for players too similar to each other thus creating a large but unbalanced and limited squad.

    One year contracts for old favourites is Chapter One and Two in the Warnock story where the next Chapter is Championship success and the final Chapter is long, expensive...you get the idea.

    Boro should be looking for their next manager now.
    Personally I think 'balance' is overrated. If you can be a fit, fast, physical team a few years ago you could bulldoze teams - Look at the Stoke era. On the flip side I would say the Man City pep team is a team again lacking in substantial 'difference' but unbelievably balanced.

    I think the problem is physicality has been ebbed out of the game over the last few years with rules and changes to the way the game is played and just doesn't have the same impact it used to.

    On the subject of Warnock specifically he just keeps buying crap players

  14. #14

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he did fantastically to get us promoted, and that's about it really.
    since relegation we've had an unfair advantage over many other teams in this league in terms of parachute payments. we have completely squandered it on inflated wages and fees for average players. we should have been left amongst the strongest teams in the league, but I don't think anyone would say that now.
    he left us with an ageing, completely unbalanced squad, and some players who weren't performing with years to run on huge wages and little chance to move them on. Several transfer windows later we are still trying to clean up the mess.

    Brentford's plan for promotion assumes that they may get relegated twice over the next 5 years but they will take the opportunity to invest and to come back stronger. we've been relegated twice and now are weaker than in years.
    we didn't bring ANY youth players through under his watch, now under different managers they get some game time and surprise surprise they are good enough.
    he gave a 34 year old Sol Bamba another year contract when he was in the middle of recovering from a cruciate ligament injury.

    he definitely has some real strengths, but unchecked he did a lot of damage to the club as well as the good stuff
    To be fair, I think that an extra year for Bamba was the least the club could do after what was achieved with him here. It was worth it just to see if he could fully recover and we have no idea what the terms agreed for the extra year were anyway. Plus it would have seemed even more unfair if we had chucked him on the scrap heap bearing in mind he shortly after fell ill with cancer.

    Why cant we all just remember what was achieved by Warnock anyway, instead of continually carping on about the last 6 months of his tenure. He came pretty damn close to keeping us in the Premier League as well, which would have been another miracle as everybody has us down as relegation certs, including quite a few of the people on here

  15. #15

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yeah right, he really screwed us over - got a relegation threatened championship team into the Premier League within 18 months by spending around £10m and brought in about £120m of extra revenue in the process. Honest to god I really do despair with the attitude of some people on here. Boro fans should be rubbing their hands in glee.if they have any sense.
    So you've stopped reading the book at the Chapter of Warnock's Championship success then? What happened next?

    Warnock's poor transfer policy (as part of wider short-term thinking which CCFC has demonstrated until Harris came in) means we've not made the most of parachute payments and subsequently are unlikely to have genuine shot of promotion until 3.5 years after Warnock left.

  16. #16

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    I would not to disappointing in , Hoilett , kadeem & Laing . if I was a Boro fan if fit they got pace , goals and skills in them , with Calum ,well we saw what he did to us last year , do a job anywhere on the field in my view , better the devil you know , and never bet against NW , if money is short why not get known commitment and loyalty in .

  17. #17

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    So you've stopped reading the book at the Chapter of Warnock's Championship success then? What happened next?

    Warnock's poor transfer policy (as part of wider short-term thinking which CCFC has demonstrated until Harris came in) means we've not made the most of parachute payments and subsequently are unlikely to have genuine shot of promotion until 3.5 years after Warnock left.
    What about 2019/2020, assume you don't think that was a ‘genuine’ chance which is ridiculous but presumably fits your argument. Plus, people keep banging on about Warnock wasting money. We lost money for Madine but got promotion with him in the squad, Reid was sold for roughly what we paid for him, Murphy, Smithies, Vaulks and a number of others are still Cardiff players, so we haven't lost anything on them. Some others we lost money on but we also sold Zohore for a £8m profit. What club hasn't lost money on players, including Liverpool, ManUtd etc etc. We also came within 3 points of staying in the Premier League in 2019 as well. All totally ignored of course in the general rush to criticise players, managers and ex managers at Cardiff City.

  18. #18
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,460

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I would not to disappointing in , Hoilett , kadeem & Laing . if I was a Boro fan if fit they got pace , goals and skills in them , with Calum ,well we saw what he did to us last year , do a job anywhere on the field in my view , better the devil you know , and never bet against NW , if money is short why not get known commitment and loyalty in .
    I liked all of them as players for us - and in most cases they had/have personality and presence - but I would be concerned about the 2021 vintage. Junior has faded and couldn't get on the pitch last season. Sol (who I wish can come back to CCFC in some capacity - just not as a first choice centre back) is 36 and recovering from injuries and serious illness. I can understand his wish to carry on playing but.... but! Kadeem Harris went backwards at Wednesday last season (I thought it was a mistake to release him at the time, and he had a good first season with the Owls) and seems to have some baggage with his father-agent to complicate things. Mendez was a major loss for us, but after getting a chance with Boro last season he didn't get back to his previous standard. Pato is a wild card with attitude - maybe a good signing, maybe not, but no manager will really know what to do with him - unless it is jack of all trades bench warmer.

  19. #19

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    One to watch next year

  20. #20
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,460

    Re: Warnock getting the band back together?

    Boro signing Matt Crooks from Rotherham. That makes more sense!

    https://www.footballinsider247.com/m...rooks-sources/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •