Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I preferred to watch the cricket, so can't say much about last night because I've only watched Mick McCarthy and Dillon Phillips' interviews so far. However, hearing our manager say that we probably played better against Cambridge makes me think I've not missed much because we were poor in the first game and not much better than okay in the second one on Saturday.

Hearing the interviewer say Forest Green dominated possession in the first half should be a source of embarrassment to our team given we're two divisions above them, but I don't suppose it will be, because that's what we are and, realistically, it would be asking a bit for Ryan Wintle to come in from Crewe and totally transform a midfield that is one of the worst in the Championship when it comes to ball retention. Indeed, given the players who have left the club and those who have come in so far, it seems reasonable to think that we'll be seeing our team have even less of the ball this season if Mick McCarthy really isn't going to be bringing any one else in.

Mick McCarthy is right to say what he did about the importance of winning, but he says that from the perspective of someone who has been here six months - us supporters have had around a decade now of the team playing a type pf football that has nothing to commend it if the result doesn't go our way. We've had some success during that time of course, but I can't remember the last time I've turned up or tuned in to a game expecting to be entertained - hence my decision to watch a T20 game last night over the City, something I would never have done a few years ago.

As for Bowen at right wing back, I don't get it.
The above is a classic example of how to over analyse a pre season friendly behind closed doors where all the squad are looking for is fitness, 5 or 6 of the first team squad (and probably the first team) are missing, the result means nothing and about 10 of the squad are under 23 players. If you want to carry on moaning and help destroy the belief and confidence of these young players then fine but I prefer to wait for the season to start before making any conclusions about how we will play, where we will finish and which players are up to the job.