+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shout out to the wet trades!

Shout out to the wet trades!

Anyone else laying blocks, plastering, rendering, laying floors in this evil weather? Or on site, general building etc? Holy Shit, this weather has almost killed me, just unloading the tools is enough to finish me off Just to add balance, everyone working in this heat has my sympathy, we're just not used to it and move about too quickly, although i suppose that if you're in the office and they have air con, then it's not so bad.

Re: Shout out to the wet trades!

Air conditioned offices are a thing of the past for those of us home working. Glad I'm indoors though.

When I was with Darlington’s felt roofing, in weather like this we used to get on site by 6am and work through till it got too hot . (1970’s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    When I was with Darlington’s felt roofing, in weather like this we used to get on site by 6am and work through till it got too hot . (1970’s)
    I think that they're still going. **** that, on a roof, black tar, imagine scaffolding in this as well, those boys have got it tough, all weathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that they're still going. **** that, on a roof, black tar, imagine scaffolding in this as well, those boys have got it tough, all weathers.

Ya, I think Kenny’s boy Wayne is running the show know.

Seen Kenny on level 4 just before lockdown

When I first got to America I worked as a Chipie/Roofers mate in the middle of summer.

It was ridiculously hot on the roofs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    When I first got to America I worked as a Chipie/Roofers mate in the middle of summer.

I can't imagine Pheonix or Dallas being much fun in the heat

I slated three roofs in Hammersmith, summer 2005. It was in the thirties for the two weeks I was up there, horrendous, the dust gets into the sweat, your feet end up like sandpaper.

Had the week off, looked after the Dog, sat in the lounge with the aircon on, as soon as i leave the lounge its bloody boiling

Yesterday had to build the new Pool ( its slightly better than last years inflatable one, its a above ground 15ft pool with a decent frame around it, sorry i sound flash for anyone here, its not really that flash though, here it is https://www.bestwaystore.co.uk/15-x4...-pool-set.html Big enough to swim in, its a nice 4ft deep ) that took some handling to put together in the heat, its filled now and lovely to relax in, got to get myself some loungers to float around on

I slated three roofs in Hammersmith, summer 2005. It was in the thirties for the two weeks I was up there, horrendous, the dust gets into the sweat, your feet end up like sandpaper.
    Ive roofed buildings in the heat ( when you couldnt pick up the slates as they were too hot ) and the freezing cold ( when you could take off your gloves, lay the palm of your hand on the slate and the thing would stick to your warm hand and you could wave it around and it still wouldnt move )

Roofers have all the extremes

I’m down to seven stone!!! Blockwork on an extension in Palace Road, laying overhand on the scaffold with next door’s conservatory directly underneath Horrible week but it’s up to wall plate, 3.5m ceiling height, like the Cistine Chapel mun

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m down to seven stone!!! Blockwork on an extension in Palace Road, laying overhand on the scaffold with next door’s conservatory directly underneath Horrible week but it’s up to wall plate, 3.5m ceiling height, like the Cistine Chapel mun
    I always admired Brickies who could lay face bricks overhand, I always struggled to build a planter out of Bricks

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ive roofed buildings in the heat ( when you couldnt pick up the slates as they were too hot ) and the freezing cold ( when you could take off your gloves, lay the palm of your hand on the slate and the thing would stick to your warm hand and you could wave it around and it still wouldnt move )

Roofers have all the extremes
    Been there. Ever worn shorts and parked your arse on black composite tiles?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I hope that you're cleaning the snobs of muck off the conservatory!

Been there. Ever worn shorts and parked your arse on black composite tiles?
    Ive buns of steel, so wouldnt effect me on a serious note, my shorts are always down to my knees, you shouldnt be wearing hot pants to work

I've bee digging holes for fence posts.
    Fecking hard,hot work for an amateur, though I'm sure I'm doing it right.
    Just hate when you're almost deep enough - then hit a brick.

Banned

Wet trades are wet trades cos they'd make a crap carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Had the week off, looked after the Dog, sat in the lounge with the aircon on, as soon as i leave the lounge its bloody boiling

Yesterday had to build the new Pool ( its slightly better than last years inflatable one, its a above ground 15ft pool with a decent frame around it, sorry i sound flash for anyone here, its not really that flash though, here it is https://www.bestwaystore.co.uk/15-x4...-pool-set.html Big enough to swim in, its a nice 4ft deep ) that took some handling to put together in the heat, its filled now and lovely to relax in, got to get myself some loungers to float around on
    You don’t sound flash butt, although the way you’ve turned a thread about working in the heat to manage to give the actual dimensions of a pool you’re building does certainly make you read like one.

I’m sure that’s not the case,

You still on furlough?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I can't imagine Pheonix or Dallas being much fun in the heat
    No doubt, different types of heat.
    I don’t think that they get the matching humidity that we do, but it’s hot as balls (local colloquialism...don’t ask me 😁).

No doubt, different types of heat.
    I don’t think that they get the matching humidity that we do, but it’s hot as balls (local colloquialism...don’t ask me 😁).
    Humidity as in DC or Cardiff?

International

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I've bee digging holes for fence posts.
    Fecking hard,hot work for an amateur, though I'm sure I'm doing it right.
    Just hate when you're almost deep enough - then hit a brick.
    Use an auger. Fast effective and not expensive. And you don't dig up anything you really don't need to.
    They're great unless you hit a plastic waste pipe. One I hit working in Southampton (Which shouldn't have been there) stopped the auger dead and threw me across a car park. My buddy on the other side flew off in the opposite direction.

Anyone else laying blocks, plastering, rendering, laying floors in this evil weather? Or on site, general building etc? Holy Shit, this weather has almost killed me, just unloading the tools is enough to finish me off Just to add balance, everyone working in this heat has my sympathy, we're just not used to it and move about too quickly, although i suppose that if you're in the office and they have air con, then it's not so bad.
    In all fairness you're a Superhero to me Cross Eyes; being strapped to my desk in my mom air conditioned study. I've got to admit I wilt at in any form of heat and I don't do any physical work. Enjoy a barrel of cold lager on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    In all fairness you're a Superhero to me Cross Eyes being strapped to my desk on my study. I've got to admit I will at any instance of heat and I don't do any physical work. Enjoy a barrel of cold lager on me.
    Thankyou! truth is, i'm bang average and can't do **** all else!

Humidity as in DC or Cardiff?
    Northern Virginia Mate.
    It’s vile at times.

Northern Virginia Mate.
    It’s vile at times.
    Is Texas a drier heat? And if so, what's the difference? Sorry for the meteorological questions