+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Smith RIP

Mike Smith RIP

Ex Wales manager Mike Smith has passed away, only man to manage a Welsh team that finished top of a qualifying group, leading the team to the Euros quarter finals in 1976. Great servant to Welsh football, never given the credit for his achievements. RIP

Re: Mike Smith RIP

RIP Mike

Bless him. He did well for Wales. RIP Mike

First Team

RIP , he was a lovely man.
    From memory, didn’t he have two stints at the Welsh job?

He stepped in when Toshack quit after one game, he must have known he was on a hiding to nothing but took on the job despite the way it was going to effect his record as Wales manager. One of footballs good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    Ex Wales manager Mike Smith has passed away, only man to manage a Welsh team that finished top of a qualifying group, leading the team to the Euros quarter finals in 1976. Great servant to Welsh football, never given the credit for his achievements. RIP
    You’re quite right

For some reason. I got pissed off with the recent Elis James programmes and how he got portrayed.

I probably got that wrong mind but I thought the programme was dismissive towards him. That said I may be slightly bias here as I think the little Jack hobbit is a wannabe ‘look at me I watch football wanker’.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    You’re quite right

For some reason. I got pissed off with the recent Elis James programmes and how he got portrayed.

I probably got that wrong mind but I thought the programme was dismissive towards him. That said I may be slightly bias here as I think the little Jack hobbit is a wannabe ‘look at me I watch football wanker’.
    I thought he was portrayed pretty well. Got shafted by the ref in 76, but brought a decent team spirit out of that group of players. He read the game better than many of our subsequent managers. He won the African Nations cup with Egypt aswell.

RIP Mike. A great servant to Welsh football who was much underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I thought he was portrayed pretty well. Got shafted by the ref in 76, but brought a decent team spirit out of that group of players. He read the game better than many of our subsequent managers. He won the African Nations cup with Egypt aswell.
    I’m drunk (honestly), ignore me butt. It’s probably another programme I’ve made up in my head.

Met Mike Smith once, lovely bloke but needed charisma (same with Peter Shreeves). Met Bobby Gould, great raconteur, wouldn’t trust him with anyone’s wife mind. His football savvy was ****ed too.

I’m drunk (honestly), ignore me butt. It’s probably another programme I’ve made up in my head.

Met Mike Smith once, lovely bloke but needed charisma (same with Peter Shreeves). Met Bobby Gould, great raconteur, wouldn’t trust him with anyone’s wife mind. His football savvy was ****ed too.
    I once saw Bobby Gould in debenhams. Tried to strike up a conversation but he just ignored me. Terry Yorath once told me to feck off (he turned up early for an appointment and expected people to drop everything thing for him). Mike Smith seemed like a decent bloke but as you say, lacked a bit of charm.
    Anyway, enjoy your drink. A glass of Havana Club rum, with a bit of coke for me tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I once saw Bobby Gould in debenhams. Tried to strike up a conversation but he just ignored me. Terry Yorath once told me to feck off (he turned up early for an appointment and expected people to drop everything thing for him). Mike Smith seemed like a decent bloke but as you say, lacked a bit of charm.
    Anyway, enjoy your drink. A glass of Havana Club rum, with a bit of coke for me tonight.
    Great choice of drink.

To Mike Smith...

You’re quite right

Nope Jordi...I’m with you.
    Struggle listening to his show as much as I am interested in it’s content.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Nope Jordi...I’m with you.
    Struggle listening to his show as much as I am interested in it’s content.
    Elis James

Look at me, I’m a Swans fan, I dress like an 90’s Brit Pop wannabe and I’m liked by the supporters of ‘Yes Cymru’.

I’ve no doubt he’s a nice lad, just one I don’t necessarily need to ****ing hear.

Elis James

Look at me, I’m a Swans fan, I dress like an 90’s Brit Pop wannabe and I’m liked by the supporters of ‘Yes Cymru’.

I’ve no doubt he’s a nice lad, just one I don’t necessarily need to ****ing hear.
    Not an unreasonable synopsis.

Twice Wales manager, obviously a glutton for punishment.
    Came across as a genuinely nice guy.

RIP Mike.

Still the only Welsh senior manager/coach to top a qualifying group and beat England at Wembley I believe.

RIP.

Also, I can't agree with Jordi Cule and Wash DC Blue about Elis James.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Still the only Welsh senior manager/coach to top a qualifying group and beat England at Wembley I believe.

RIP.

Also, I can't agree with Jordi Cule and Wash DC Blue about Elis James.
    Elis James came up in conversation yesterday and I’ve been informed he’s a comedian?

I’m assuming he does parody?

RIP Peace Mike

Elis James should be our next manager

Great choice of drink.

To Mike Smith...
    My choice of drink too.

Rip Mike.

RIP Mike. He was Wales manager at the first international I attended, when we beat Scotland 3-0, with a Tosh hat trick.
    Out of curiosity, why was he sacked from his first stint? Seemed to do a decent job. Think Mike England took over not long after that Scotland game. I know Mike England was in charge when we beat England 4-1 in 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    RIP Mike. He was Wales manager at the first international I attended, when we beat Scotland 3-0, with a Tosh hat trick.
    Out of curiosity, why was he sacked from his first stint? Seemed to do a decent job. Think Mike England took over not long after that Scotland game. I know Mike England was in charge when we beat England 4-1 in 1980.
    I think it was the failure to qualify for the 78 World Cup. Another reason to dislike Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I think it was the failure to qualify for the 78 World Cup. Another reason to dislike Jordan.
    He was manager during the Euro 80 qualifying. We got stuffed 5-1 by West Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    He was manager during the Euro 80 qualifying. We got stuffed 5-1 by West Germany.
    Yes you’re right. England’s first game was the 4-1 win over England I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yes you’re right. England’s first game was the 4-1 win over England I think.
    Cheers Pearcey👍🏻