+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expats

Expats

Couple of questions.

How come you're expats?
    I've always wanted to move somewhere warmer and being from Brynmawr the choices are endless.
    Do you miss Wales?
    Do you think you'll ever move back?

Re: Expats

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Couple of questions.

How come you're expats?
    I've always wanted to move somewhere warmer and being from Brynmawr the choices are endless.
    Do you miss Wales?
    Do you think you'll ever move back?
    Brynmawr is the coldest place on earth-fact

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Brynmawr is the coldest place on earth-fact
    It's grim. But it's my grim
    Wish I had the balls to do it.

It's grim. But it's my grim
    Wish I had the balls to do it.
    Where would yo go?

Where would yo go?
    Somewhere warmer. Treorchy maybe.

Somewhere warmer. Treorchy maybe.
    Good choice, nice high st, apparently.

Good choice, nice high st, apparently.
    Worked down the Rhondda on the windows for a couple of years. The people were diamonds

Worked down the Rhondda on the windows for a couple of years. The people were diamonds
    I always find that. Do work for people in the less affluent areas and they're great, friendly, hospitable and up for a laugh. The money is in your hand the second you finish as well.

Had a few council estate jobs (I'm a council estate massive too) and the generosity was second to none

I left Cardiff for London which I hated then got the chance to go to Hong Kong and then just stayed overseas ending up in Oz. Miss Wales on occasions but there’s a big world out there

International

Talking of ex-pats, I discovered today that the 6th largest French city by number of population is......London.

Had a few council estate jobs (I'm a council estate massive too) and the generosity was second to none

There's a place called Brynmawr outside Philadelphia. It's very posh. They call it Bryn-mar.

I met a beautiful girl about 20 years ago from Ohio (West Virginia really) which prompted my move.

Absolutely the loveliest and prettiest woman I’ve ever met.
    It’s absolutely absurd to me how we come to be, but come to be we did.

I miss Wales like crazy.
    I spent 3 years in London and a good while in Australia with spells back home in between.
    Hiraeth is still a very real as for me.

I tried to move us back after my mother died.
    Something like Ł65,000 was required in the bank to show you could support it or a job for 6 months.

I had a crack and commuted on the train to Brizzle every day from Lliswerry in Newport...which meant a bus into town at about 6.20 to get to a train to Temple Meads and another train or bus from there to Clifton.

Come back to DC over that Christmas period to see the Mrs and basically quit on the idea.

Still hope we can do it one day!

Married a brilliant and beautiful American of Polish/Swedish ancestry who, after 39 years of marriage, is a wonderful mother to our three children. We live in Nebraska, which has bitterly cold winters. I like to go back every now and then to get faggots and peas in the market, or fish and chips on Caroline Street, but no, I will never move back. There's a reason why people risk life and limb to get here and why hundreds of thousands are rushing the southern border. It's a great place. I'm a lucky guy.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There's a place called Brynmawr outside Philadelphia. It's very posh. They call it Bryn-mar.
    High-end housing subdivision near me, also called Bryn Mawr. I have often wondered if anyone understands its meaning, or even that the words are Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    High-end housing subdivision near me, also called Bryn Mawr. I have often wondered if anyone understands its meaning, or even that the words are Welsh.
    There are lots of signposts saying “Twp” around Pennsylvania...thought that it meant stupid drivers rather than township 😀

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Married a brilliant and beautiful American of Polish/Swedish ancestry who, after 39 years of marriage, is a wonderful mother to our three children. We live in Nebraska, which has bitterly cold winters. I like to go back every now and then to get faggots and peas in the market, or fish and chips on Caroline Street, but no, I will never move back. There's a reason why people risk life and limb to get here and why hundreds of thousands are rushing the southern border. It's a great place. I'm a lucky guy.
    Good for you Mate!!
    Nebraska’s Winters would be beyond my capacity no matter how much I dug the Corn Huskers.

Winters here in Northern VA are brutal to me.
    If we don’t get back to Wales, a Snow Bird lifestyle it is!

Not sure if I qualify as a full blown expat but I’ve spent many years of my life outside of the UK. Work driven for me, mainly on secondment to transfer or start up businesses. Currently on a 3 year stint in Poland but previously I’ve done the same in Japan, Ireland, California, Canada, Holland & India. I love the change & challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Not sure if I qualify as a full blown expat but I’ve spent many years of my life outside of the UK. Work driven for me, mainly on secondment to transfer or start up businesses. Currently on a 3 year stint in Poland but previously I’ve done the same in Japan, Ireland, California, Canada, Holland & India. I love the change & challenges.
    I think that you are a good, solid brand ambassador for Wales and Cardiff City.

Keep keeping on!

I was working in London at the time. My contract ended and I just decided to be a bit cavalier and get a one-way ticket to Hong Kong (I already sold my property in Cardiff).
    I met a mainland Chinese girl, we got married, had a son and fifteen years later I'm still here in China.

I don't think I could ever afford to go back home, I certainly wouldn't get any meaningful employment at my age in the UK.

I went back to Cardiff for my mother's funeral just over 2 years ago. It was the first time I had been home in more than 10 years. I rediscovered what a fantastic city Cardiff is. I used to take things for granted when I was living there. The friendly and helpful nature of the people, particularly in customer service, was very notable.

Doesn’t ‘ex pat’ seem a lot more nicer than ‘immigrant’

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Doesn’t ‘ex pat’ seem a lot more nicer than ‘immigrant’
    Came here to say exactly the same thing

Wish I moved to Aus but the mrs is too tied to her family.

Sacrifices you make eh!