+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expats

Re: Expats

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Couple of questions.

How come you're expats?

I was a problem child. Year above Bale/Warburton/Thomas/Kear in Whitchurch. I dropped out after Year 12. I was more interested in my friend's grandad's war stories than I was school. Used to drop by his house to listen to him instead of going to class. Then after dropping out I worked full time at the Plumb Center at City Road making next to nothing. I know absolutely nothing about plumbing. My dad's company asked him to move to Shanghai for a 3-5 year project. Parents asked me if I wanted to go with them and go back to school and redo Year 12 and after visiting Shanghai I said hell yes. Went to Uni in Malaysia and now settled in Singapore with a Singaporean-chinese wife and kids.

I've always wanted to move somewhere warmer and being from Brynmawr the choices are endless.
    Do you miss Wales?

Certain things. But if I missed it enough I would move home. Although I say that but truth be told we're over reliant on my wife's job here in Singapore.

I miss Sunday roast. I miss going to watch City both home and away. Cardiff Devils too. And rugby. I miss my auntie Karen and all my cousins. I miss a proper cup of tea. I miss grass. I miss seasons. I miss pubs. I miss having a back garden. I miss having a connection to the people I'm around.

I went to Japan for the rugby world cup and whenever I met someone and told them I'm Welsh they got excited. Whenever I told them but I live in Singapore they lost their excitement.

Do you think you'll ever move back?

I would love to but only if we had enough money to do it differently. I wouldn't want to live in Gabalfa or Whitchurch again. Sorry if that sounds stuck up but been there, done that. I would love to give Pontcanna a try. With those massive fields and hipster cafes. Walking to town. Yes please.

Anyway I'm drunk.
    "Life is queer with its twist and turns."

Did you see "Crazy Rich Asians?" If so, what did you think? Those massive food courts look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I moved to a place called Cardiff in my mid twenties .Lovely City.
    Weather much nicer than my native Bonnie Scotland .
    Great opportunities there well , run my own successful business, have integrated fairly well with the natives despite some of them having a gripe about some hand ball incident that happened years and years ago....
    Standard of local football is shocking though. You need a neck brace to watch hoof ball.
    I would recommend Cardiff to anyone .
    When independence happens here I'm driving you straight home in a Peugot 206 and will make you fix it every time it breaks down on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Lovely post, I enjoyed reading that. Good luck to you in the future
    Thanks mate, glad you did

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    "Life is queer with its twist and turns."

Did you see "Crazy Rich Asians?" If so, what did you think? Those massive food courts look cool.
    Yeh I liked it, it was alright. Easy watch. It highlighted the glitz and glamour part of Singapore. There’s a lot of rich people here but that’s only part of the story. So I think many here felt misrepresented. But even the wealthy love to go to those massive food courts and eat great food for less than two pound. You can save a lot of money if you eat at “Hawker Centres”. They are a must if you ever visit.

I've lived abroad for 12 years.

I live in Uganda but I have had a long association with Uganda even before moving here.. and even worked for the Ugandan Government.

I don't consider myself an expat... I am here as a guest.

In my experience those who call themselves expats are usually the kind of people who hate immigrants and are quite colonial in their attitude. hate those types, we have a lot here in Uganda. I make a point of calling them migrants and their blood boils. Wankers.

However, back to your question.

There are so many pros living here. It's beautiful, the people are great, the climate is the best on the planet and if you have a fairly decent income the lifestyle is great. Although school fees are a real burden.

Bringing up kids here has been amazing. They have done stuff that honestly I wouldn't have been able to afford in the UK... tennis lessons from a pro, swimming lessons from Olympic coaches, horse riding lessons etc. Dare I say that in the school my kids go to that there has been very little peer pressure and bullying has been very little and dealt with very well. The education standards have been outstanding. But of course I have had to pay for that. I made sure though that I choose a school with a very diverse mix of both students and also teachers, prioritising Ugandan teachers and admin staff - so not a typical 'expat' school.

There are downsides. Due to the work I do I have been poisoned, threatened, shot at and had nasty media reports about me.

Also, while I believe all countries are corrupt, Uganda does have a lot of corruption and it's hard seeing Ugandans suffering due to those in power, often aided by foreigners, grifting and stealing resources. Also, seeing the way that westerners perceive Uganda and come along doing the wrong things is tough. My masters dissertation was on 'the damaging effect of mission trips to Uganda'.

Another downside is not being able to get back home for emergencies easily and seeing my parents and siblings. But I may be shifting home next year.

All in all.... would recommend it wholly!

Loving this thread, keep it going. I did my primary schooling in Adelaide, SA and visited for the first time in 43 years just before the pandemic. I wish I had emigrated when I was younger, but too old now with family over here. I just hope that i earn enough to let me return to Oz every few years (when we can)

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There's a place called Brynmawr outside Philadelphia. It's very posh. They call it Bryn-mar.
    It’s a small world.
    one half of our new next door neighbours comes from there.
    She had no idea that it was a Welsh name or , obviously, what it meant translated into English.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Loving this thread, keep it going. I did my primary schooling in Adelaide, SA and visited for the first time in 43 years just before the pandemic. I wish I had emigrated when I was younger, but too old now with family over here. I just hope that i earn enough to let me return to Oz every few years (when we can)
    Yeah, what a lovely thread hearing people's experiences and also their plans / wishes.

This is why this board is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    It’s a small world.
    She had no idea that it was a Welsh name or , obviously, what it meant translated into English.
    Next time you see her say "Go Phils".

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    It’s a small world.
    Or ask her if she prefers Pat's or Geno's? If her answer is "Dallesandro's" she knows what she's talking about.

There was me thinking virtually all of the people on here lived in or near Cardiff. Well done to those who had the courage to live abroad. I've spent a lot of time in Spain and the USA recreationally but never had the guts to move away. I currently live in England and that's about as far as I've got.

A hugely interesting thread. Keep it coming.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    There was me thinking virtually all of the people on here lived in or near Cardiff. Well done to those who had the courage to live abroad. I've spent a lot of time in Spain and the USA recreationally but never had the guts to move away. I currently live in England and that's about as far as I've got.
    I honestly can't remember what it felt like when I first moved here. I know it was a big step, and I know I left a lot behind. But it was just something I did. I suppose I was young enough (27) that I knew I could go back if I wanted to. But I don't remember feeling like that. I was married and my (ex) wife and I were expecting our first child. He turns 29 in September. It just seemed like life moving forward. I can remember having no real male camaraderie for a long time and that was a bummer. Especially having come from a gang of football mates etc. I suppose it took me a while to settle in. I missed my family, my mates and going to the football. But I love my life and I'm happy with what I have. I wouldn't change anything.

A couple of comments. I’ve just spent two weeks in the Caribbean & 95% of the other hotel guests were American, I spent many hours explaining where & what Wales is, the majority had no idea. Also smiled watching them poke, prod & reject Yorkshire puds with their Sunday lunches.

On a different note, I love genealogy & have managed to get back to 15th century roots. My great grandfather, moved from Durham to Splott with the Steel Works in the 1890s. Three of his siblings moved to Fairmont West Virginia & I have hundreds of relatives still there. A choice of Cardiff v WV. My heritage could be very different!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I spent many hours explaining where & what Wales is, the majority had no idea.
    In my experience in America if you tell an American you are from Wales they often reply by saying "Is that Wales England". Also get plenty of "I love your accent".

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I've lived abroad for 12 years.

I live in Uganda but I have had a long association with Uganda even before moving here.. and even worked for the Ugandan Government.

I don't consider myself an expat... I am here as a guest.

In my experience those who call themselves expats are usually the kind of people who hate immigrants and are quite colonial in their attitude. hate those types, we have a lot here in Uganda. I make a point of calling them migrants and their blood boils. Wankers.

However, back to your question.

There are so many pros living here. It's beautiful, the people are great, the climate is the best on the planet and if you have a fairly decent income the lifestyle is great. Although school fees are a real burden.

Bringing up kids here has been amazing. They have done stuff that honestly I wouldn't have been able to afford in the UK... tennis lessons from a pro, swimming lessons from Olympic coaches, horse riding lessons etc. Dare I say that in the school my kids go to that there has been very little peer pressure and bullying has been very little and dealt with very well. The education standards have been outstanding. But of course I have had to pay for that. I made sure though that I choose a school with a very diverse mix of both students and also teachers, prioritising Ugandan teachers and admin staff - so not a typical 'expat' school.

There are downsides. Due to the work I do I have been poisoned, threatened, shot at and had nasty media reports about me.

Also, while I believe all countries are corrupt, Uganda does have a lot of corruption and it's hard seeing Ugandans suffering due to those in power, often aided by foreigners, grifting and stealing resources. Also, seeing the way that westerners perceive Uganda and come along doing the wrong things is tough. My masters dissertation was on 'the damaging effect of mission trips to Uganda'.

Another downside is not being able to get back home for emergencies easily and seeing my parents and siblings. But I may be shifting home next year.

All in all.... would recommend it wholly!
    Interesting stuff about a country I know little about. Isn’t it on the equator so quite hot and humid? Also South Sudan, Somalia, Rwanda, Ethiopia all nearby, quite volatile places some with conflicts on going but Uganda is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    A couple of comments. I’ve just spent two weeks in the Caribbean & 95% of the other hotel guests were American, I spent many hours explaining where & what Wales is, the majority had no idea. Also smiled watching them poke, prod & reject Yorkshire puds with their Sunday lunches.

On a different note, I love genealogy & have managed to get back to 15th century roots. My great grandfather, moved from Durham to Splott with the Steel Works in the 1890s. Three of his siblings moved to Fairmont West Virginia & I have hundreds of relatives still there. A choice of Cardiff v WV. My heritage could be very different!
    West Virginia is so similar to Wales in many ways.
    We share the mining history and have been unfaIrly criticized by neighbors.
    The Geography around Harpers Ferry in WV Reminds me of Brecon.
    Wheeling (where my wife was born) close to Ohio...reminded me of The Rhondda.

Beautiful State with very unassuming people.
    I expected it to be incredibly Red Neckish....just good Blue Collar people.

How come you're expats?

Consider myself an immigrant, the term expat has never sat well with me.

Was following Wales during the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign and set off to Brussels with a few mates for the game in Nov 2014. The day before the match, one of the guys had his heart set on going to Le Cercueil, "coffin bar", and the night passed us by until one of the others spotted it in the corner of his eye. We ended up taking this large corner table so had different groups share it with us throughout the evening. A little later just before we were planning to leave the bar a group of Swiss people came and sat by us, and overhearing our group speaking in English one of the women gestured her friend to sit next to me. Made polite conversation that seemingly did the trick because she's now my fiancée and mother to our wonderful little boy.

After Brussels, we travelled back and forth to see each other every other week or so for just over a year until I found a job and moved to Switzerland on Christmas Eve 2015. Been living here ever since and feeling really settled into life here.

I've always wanted to move somewhere warmer and being from Brynmawr the choices are endless.

Switzerland is definitely warmer in the summer months and has a lot less rain than you would typically experience back home. And winter is not particularly that cold unless you reside in the mountains, but I love the aspect of being able to enjoy every season here.

Do you miss Wales?

Of course, it's amplified the past 18 months due to the pandemic, I have a son who has not see his grandparents back in Wales since Christmas '19 so it's a tough reminder. But as for myself, other than missing family, I really miss weekend routines when Cardiff had a game and venturing to the Cornwall before kick off. I really miss shops being open late and I'm Sunday's, that took a bit of getting used to. I miss he comfort food but I cook a roast dinner every now and again and have essentials such as HP sauce etc... Which help to stir nostalgia.

No, I miss my family and friends back home but settled here and have been made to feel very welcome by my fiancée's extended family. Work prospects are good here, and I honestly feel I have a better opportunity at carving out a good standard of life here for my family and myself compared to the prospects of relocating back to Wales.

Great thread!

I share the views about ex-pat with other posters, never considered myself to be one.

I grew up and spent a lot of my teens working and playing around up at Pontypool Ski Centre, I was a ski and snowboard instructor there and my older brother had done similar a few years before me. I was desperate to go and spend a winter season at a ski resort to sample the real thing, I went to Canada at 19 to spend a season with my brother before he returned to Wales to live a 'normal' life, I original plan was for one 6 month season and to return home. I ended up spending 12 months in Whistler, BC and loved every minute. When I was home I spent two years thinking and dreaming about Canada so decided to go back for another season, I ended up spending two years. When I arrived the company I worked for put me with with an Australian girl in a shared house and we hit it off straight away. After two years there we have moved all around, we spent a winter (bad idea but the timing was right) back in Wales and have since been in Queenstown, NZ for around a year, Adelaide (her home city) for 2 years and we are now in Melbourne and have been for the past year or two.

How come you're expats?
    Ski and Snowboard instructing started it off, can't recommend getting into it enough. Incredible way to see the world.

Do you miss Wales? I miss Wales a lot, I left planning short a gap year style trip but just enjoyed moving around so much. I think it's worse at the moment as haven't seen most of my family since April 19 and with Australia's current position very unlikely to be in a position to leave this year. I miss the greenery, football, the community feel, easy access to europe and the comfort food. The cuisine is incredible in Melbourne as it's such a diverse place but we just don't get the same quality comfort stuff, probably the nostalgia helps too.

Do you think you'll ever move back? I would love to, I like Australia and the group of people that I know now but originally it was always the one place I never wanted to end up (bad experiences with Aussies I met on my first time in Canada). Canada was the best place I've ever been but not sure I could live there. Queenstown is incredible but extremely expensive and it's an even more ridiculous trip to get home. We were planning on moving back at the end of last year but Boris' complete f up of covid made us stay put in Australia and I'm now a Permanent resident so who knows. That being said, Melbourne is a great city and reminds me a lot of the UK in terms of weather, architecture, variety sport etc so it is definitely easier to settle here.

Interesting to read the views and experiences of others being from Wales and explaining it to people. I left and I couldn't care less about Wales, our history, politics etc. I soon became more pro-Wales when I would have to explain on a daily basis that Wales and England isn't the same place, I'm used to people getting the accent wrong now but it's irritating when people just don't acknowledge it. Wales has done a great deal for the world throughout history and it's crazy just how many people haven't even heard of Wales and how England and the UK are regarded as the same thing. Living in Canada, NZ and Australia who are all thriving countries since independence, I noticed how many things Wales could do differently. I'm not trying to turn this thread political so I hope it doesn't, it's just interesting how travelling can change your perceptions and opinions on things that you didn't think twice about a few years before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    Great thread!

I share the views about ex-pat with other posters, never considered myself to be one.

I grew up and spent a lot of my teens working and playing around up at Pontypool Ski Centre, I was a ski and snowboard instructor there and my older brother had done similar a few years before me. I was desperate to go and spend a winter season at a ski resort to sample the real thing, I went to Canada at 19 to spend a season with my brother before he returned to Wales to live a 'normal' life, I original plan was for one 6 month season and to return home. I ended up spending 12 months in Whistler, BC and loved every minute. When I was home I spent two years thinking and dreaming about Canada so decided to go back for another season, I ended up spending two years. When I arrived the company I worked for put me with with an Australian girl in a shared house and we hit it off straight away. After two years there we have moved all around, we spent a winter (bad idea but the timing was right) back in Wales and have since been in Queenstown, NZ for around a year, Adelaide (her home city) for 2 years and we are now in Melbourne and have been for the past year or two.

How come you're expats?
    Ski and Snowboard instructing started it off, can't recommend getting into it enough. Incredible way to see the world.

Do you miss Wales? I miss Wales a lot, I left planning short a gap year style trip but just enjoyed moving around so much. I think it's worse at the moment as haven't seen most of my family since April 19 and with Australia's current position very unlikely to be in a position to leave this year. I miss the greenery, football, the community feel, easy access to europe and the comfort food. The cuisine is incredible in Melbourne as it's such a diverse place but we just don't get the same quality comfort stuff, probably the nostalgia helps too.

Do you think you'll ever move back? I would love to, I like Australia and the group of people that I know now but originally it was always the one place I never wanted to end up (bad experiences with Aussies I met on my first time in Canada). Canada was the best place I've ever been but not sure I could live there. Queenstown is incredible but extremely expensive and it's an even more ridiculous trip to get home. We were planning on moving back at the end of last year but Boris' complete f up of covid made us stay put in Australia and I'm now a Permanent resident so who knows. That being said, Melbourne is a great city and reminds me a lot of the UK in terms of weather, architecture, variety sport etc so it is definitely easier to settle here.

Interesting to read the views and experiences of others being from Wales and explaining it to people. I left and I couldn't care less about Wales, our history, politics etc. I soon became more pro-Wales when I would have to explain on a daily basis that Wales and England isn't the same place, I'm used to people getting the accent wrong now but it's irritating when people just don't acknowledge it. Wales has done a great deal for the world throughout history and it's crazy just how many people haven't even heard of Wales and how England and the UK are regarded as the same thing. Living in Canada, NZ and Australia who are all thriving countries since independence, I noticed how many things Wales could do differently. I'm not trying to turn this thread political so I hope it doesn't, it's just interesting how travelling can change your perceptions and opinions on things that you didn't think twice about a few years before.
    Melbourne is a decent city like you say and does have a more European feel to it than other places in Oz, loved a trek down the great ocean rd too, hitched all the way when I was 19 sleeping in a tent on bells beach or Torquay for weeks on end living on virtually nothing without a care in the world…..those were the days hey….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Melbourne is a decent city like you say and does have a more European feel to it than other places in Oz, loved a trek down the great ocean rd too, hitched all the way when I was 19 sleeping in a tent on bells beach or Torquay for weeks on end living on virtually nothing without a care in the world…..those were the days hey….
    Yes Melbourne is great, especially pre-covid, F1, Australian Open, don't think there is a city in the world that singularly lives and breathes one sport (AFL), filling the Melbourne Cricket Ground with 100,000 spectators! Like you mention the great ocean road is amazing too, lots of great towns. If you're ever here again take a trip to the Grampians and Wilson Prom national parks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    In my experience in America if you tell an American you are from Wales they often reply by saying "Is that Wales England". Also get plenty of "I love your accent".
    I was living in USA for a short while and in a shop queue once the woman in front of me turned around and and said 'I love your accent'
    'Where are you from?'

I replied 'Wales'

Silence..... then she asked 'Is that near Michigan?'!!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    How come you're expats?

Consider myself an immigrant, the term expat has never sat well with me.

Was following Wales during the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign and set off to Brussels with a few mates for the game in Nov 2014. The day before the match, one of the guys had his heart set on going to Le Cercueil, "coffin bar", and the night passed us by until one of the others spotted it in the corner of his eye. We ended up taking this large corner table so had different groups share it with us throughout the evening. A little later just before we were planning to leave the bar a group of Swiss people came and sat by us, and overhearing our group speaking in English one of the women gestured her friend to sit next to me. Made polite conversation that seemingly did the trick because she's now my fiancée and mother to our wonderful little boy.

After Brussels, we travelled back and forth to see each other every other week or so for just over a year until I found a job and moved to Switzerland on Christmas Eve 2015. Been living here ever since and feeling really settled into life here.

Switzerland is definitely warmer in the summer months and has a lot less rain than you would typically experience back home. And winter is not particularly that cold unless you reside in the mountains, but I love the aspect of being able to enjoy every season here.

Do you miss Wales?

Of course, it's amplified the past 18 months due to the pandemic, I have a son who has not see his grandparents back in Wales since Christmas '19 so it's a tough reminder. But as for myself, other than missing family, I really miss weekend routines when Cardiff had a game and venturing to the Cornwall before kick off. I really miss shops being open late and I'm Sunday's, that took a bit of getting used to. I miss he comfort food but I cook a roast dinner every now and again and have essentials such as HP sauce etc... Which help to stir nostalgia.

No, I miss my family and friends back home but settled here and have been made to feel very welcome by my fiancée's extended family. Work prospects are good here, and I honestly feel I have a better opportunity at carving out a good standard of life here for my family and myself compared to the prospects of relocating back to Wales.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I think we’ve all found something special that means a lot to the individual concerned which gives purpose and provides meaning.

If it wasn’t for the corruption, shite healthcare, poor education standards and the dreadful system of government Vietnam would be a lovely place to live.

Because lock downs aren’t working and coronavirus infection rates are going through the roof the army are imposing what is virtually martial law in Ho Chi Minh City. The cost of food if you can get it is horrendous for example one egg used to cost 5000vnd which is about 15p. Today one egg costs 35000 vnd about £1.10.

Relatives can’t send in food from the countryside because travel is not allowed. If you’re lucky you can get a ride on a boat at night which takes you out of the city to where you can rendezvous with your relatives and collect enough staple foods to last a week or so but the army are trying to stop that as well.

It reminds me of one of those zombie films.

Living in a civilised country has a lot of advantages. Roll on September

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I think we’ve all found something special that means a lot to the individual concerned which gives purpose and provides meaning.

If it wasn’t for the corruption, shite healthcare, poor education standards and the dreadful system of government Vietnam would be a lovely place to live.

Because lock downs aren’t working and coronavirus infection rates are going through the roof the army are imposing what is virtually martial law in Ho Chi Minh City. The cost of food if you can get it is horrendous for example one egg used to cost 5000vnd which is about 15p. Today one egg costs 35000 vnd about £1.10.

Relatives can’t send in food from the countryside because travel is not allowed. If you’re lucky you can get a ride on a boat at night which takes you out of the city to where you can rendezvous with your relatives and collect enough staple foods to last a week or so but the army are trying to stop that as well.

It reminds me of one of those zombie films.

Living in a civilised country has a lot of advantages. Roll on September
    It sounds horrendous.