+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Expats

Re: Expats

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I was living in USA for a short while and in a shop queue once the woman in front of me turned around and and said 'I love your accent'
    'Where are you from?'

I replied 'Wales'

Silence..... then she asked 'Is that near Michigan?'!!

Reading this thread regarding accents etc...

I am learning French here but not picking it up as quick as I would have liked, however the majority of my day is taken up by speaking English. At work and at home the main language is English, at work because it's the company language as it operates globally and at home so my son picks up English as a strong second language. I speak French with the in laws and friends, but it's more Franglish than French at this stage.

However when I am speaking English it is very much with a neutralised accent and at a much slower pace so those I am depending on understanding me have an easier time of doing so.

I was living in USA for a short while and in a shop queue once the woman in front of me turned around and and said 'I love your accent'
    'Where are you from?'

I replied 'Wales'

Oddly enough:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales_Township,_Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I think we’ve all found something special that means a lot to the individual concerned which gives purpose and provides meaning.

If it wasn’t for the corruption, shite healthcare, poor education standards and the dreadful system of government Vietnam would be a lovely place to live.

Because lock downs aren’t working and coronavirus infection rates are going through the roof the army are imposing what is virtually martial law in Ho Chi Minh City. The cost of food if you can get it is horrendous for example one egg used to cost 5000vnd which is about 15p. Today one egg costs 35000 vnd about £1.10.

Relatives can’t send in food from the countryside because travel is not allowed. If you’re lucky you can get a ride on a boat at night which takes you out of the city to where you can rendezvous with your relatives and collect enough staple foods to last a week or so but the army are trying to stop that as well.

It reminds me of one of those zombie films.

Living in a civilised country has a lot of advantages. Roll on September
    Dear God, sounds a perfect recipe for civil unrest. Stay safe.

"If it wasn’t for the corruption, shite healthcare, poor education standards and the dreadful system of government Vietnam would be a lovely place to live."

Yeah, but for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    "If it wasn’t for the corruption, shite healthcare, poor education standards and the dreadful system of government Vietnam would be a lovely place to live."

Yeah, but for that.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post

Yeah, but for that.

'Where are you from?'

I replied 'Wales'

The normal reply is "Is that Wales England". There is a small town called Lake Wales in Florida but even that is a heck of a long way from Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The normal reply is "Is that Wales England". There is a small town called Lake Wales in Florida but even that is a heck of a long way from Michigan.
    When I was a student in germany, one of the local students asked where I was from and I said Wales. He proceeded to try to speak to me in Welsh- I say try to, because his Welsh was far better than mine. His English was too. Apparently in high school (!) their teacher has decided they were good enough at English so chose to teach them other languages from the British isles.

Meanwhile in the US, I tend to get asked what part of Australia I’m from.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    When I was a student in germany, one of the local students asked where I was from and I said Wales. He proceeded to try to speak to me in Welsh- I say try to, because his Welsh was far better than mine. His English was too. Apparently in high school (!) their teacher has decided they were good enough at English so chose to teach them other languages from the British isles.

Meanwhile in the US, I tend to get asked what part of AUSTRALIA I’m from.

Obviously "New South Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Obviously "New South Wales"
    Couldn’t resist.

https://youtu.be/-ChwSS4kZ9c

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Interesting stuff about a country I know little about. Isn’t it on the equator so quite hot and humid? Also South Sudan, Somalia, Rwanda, Ethiopia all nearby, quite volatile places some with conflicts on going but Uganda is ok?
    It's a volatile region with Uganda being one of the more stable influences here.

But that's to do with having the same guy in charge for over 30 years and while that is awful, it does taper expectations.

The corruption here is ridiculous.. the rich are the MPs, businessmen who bribe, the police and of course 'Pastors' who are scammers. I dislike the missionary community in particular.

I have reconciled that as I am a guest here I will just concentrate on my work and family and not get too much into the broader issues unless it's to do with my work. My work puts me in conflict with enough bad actors, so I stay out of the rest of politics.

When trouble does flair up, it's pretty easy to avoid it and Uganda generally has a respectful attitude towards foreigners. I mean we have the second largest immigrant population in the world, Mainly from African countries but it has developed a culture of acceptances.

You would have read about the anti gay stuff here but for the most part my friends and colleagues don't bother about it. Many are gay and just get on with it. I could write a book about that whole thing.

I could list many things I dislike about Uganda but it has been a wonderful place to raise children and they have been very safe, happy and healthy.

Pleased to say that all three have remained Cardiff supporters, especially the youngest who is 13, born in Cardiff but left when she was 1.

As for the weather. It's perfect, especially in the central areas. Never humid. Kampala in particular is lovely as it's built around 7 hills so always a breeze, clouds etc. But it's moderate and when it does get hot easy to stay out of the sun. It's a great all year for people with arthritis.

Next year I'll be coming back more often as the kids are returning with their mum and my parents are now getting elderly so want to spend more time with them. I still have work here so will come back and forth, meaning I'll get the best of both worlds. Well that's the plan.

I would highly recommend this part of the world, East Africa, especially if you have a decent income (for much of my time here I haven't as there is little financial reward in child protection)... But if you do, enjoying the national parks and surrounding counties like Tanzania, the beaches in Kenya, the Rwandan mountains and in particular Zanzibar... Then it's wonderful.