I experienced the expat lifestyle in Sydney but from the Lebanese expat community for just over 6 months, it always entertained me that people would move to another country and band together and not really let outsiders in, it was there i saw Racism from both sides, the girl i was dating was subject to it from whites which used to push me to the edge and often beyond with a number of " squaring up to the person " and even a few incidents on punches thrown ( much to her dismay as i couldnt leave it ), it was funny, she would always say " leave it, its just how things are, we all have different and have different opinions and it will never change ", then when i would go to her family / community things i would suffer the same, the older generation would make remarks ( some i couldnt understand, but i know were racist from the GF outburst back at them ) some in English that i could, She had a very strange view of it, directed at her she would just brush it off without a care in the world, directed at me, it would cause the anger in her would bubble over, i never understood that

about 10 years ago, i was going to purchase a house in the South of France, had it all lined up, spoke to the mayor who had to ok the purchase, the estate agent put me in touch with a group of local expats in the area, what a bunch of clowns, they were honestly attempting to recreate " back home " but in the sun, they were mental, they were the reason we didnt buy in the end, I didnt want to be part of that