+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stand up paddle boards or sit on kayak

Stand up paddle boards or sit on kayak

My nephews are trying to persuade me to get a paddle board as they have bought some. As a bloke in his late fifties am I better off getting a kayak? All advice welcome. They tend to go down to Jackson bay to use them.

Re: Stand up paddle boards or sit on kayak

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    My nephews are trying to persuade me to get a paddle board as they have bought some. As a bloke in his late fifties am I better off getting a kayak? All advice welcome. They tend to go down to Jackson bay to use them.
    Definitely try a SUP, same age as you and I have both but much prefer the board. If you get tired just kneel and paddle, also you back doesn’t get sore

I have SUP boards open in another browser, a few of my daughters friends have them and they have invited her to go with them, I looked at them a few years back for when we go surfing the the waves are not playing, back then they were £150, now they appear to have added another 100 quid on that price

Just got back from Pembrokeshire where my 9 yr old tried kayaking on his own, which he loved and seemed very able at. Probably looking to get one but they seem pretty expensive these days….helped that it was like a mill pond but how does a paddle work out if it’s wavey or choppy?

That was exactly my concern. They've been down to Jackson Bay in Barry a few times when it's really calm, but those weather conditions are rare.

The other option is an inflatable kayak

Get a proper kayak if that is the rode you decide . They are great when the sea is a bit choppy . Llangennith is
    brilliant fun on a decent Kayak.

I am going to try paddle boarding myself . I am 61 in a couple of weeks. Age is just a number , been up Pen Y fan this morning , second time this week .

Seem a bit slowish?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Get a proper kayak if that is the rode you decide . They are great when the sea is a bit choppy . Llangennith is
    brilliant fun on a decent Kayak.
    I researched Kayaks when i was looking at SUP boards a few years back ( after spending 5 nights down in Cornwall without a wave in sight ) , one day i noticed a customer of mine had 3 on a Trailer, so i asked him

His massive advice and he really was serious, if using it in the sea, you must get a real Kayak ( not a inflatable one ) as the Inflatable ones do not have ribs under them and it is very easy to get caught in the tide and swept out to sea

Thanks gents

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I researched Kayaks when i was looking at SUP boards a few years back ( after spending 5 nights down in Cornwall without a wave in sight ) , one day i noticed a customer of mine had 3 on a Trailer, so i asked him

His massive advice and he really was serious, if using it in the sea, you must get a real Kayak ( not a inflatable one ) as the Inflatable ones do not have ribs under them and it is very easy to get caught in the tide and swept out to sea
    I'm thinking maybe an Ocean Frenzy or Bic Oassu one seater, around £300 on ebay

Really can't recommend an isup enough, they are more weather dependent than a kayak but have a lot of other advantages (I'm planning to get a Kayak at some point as they have their own benefits)

I did Broughton to Llangenith via Blue Pool and sea cave on Thursday, was awesome.

Anything that gets you on the water is well worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Philo2 View Post
    Really can't recommend an isup enough, they are more weather dependent than a kayak but have a lot of other advantages (I'm planning to get a Kayak at some point as they have their own benefits)

I did Broughton to Llangenith via Blue Pool and sea cave on Thursday, was awesome.

Anything that gets you on the water is well worth the investment.
    Plenty of rips and weird currents around the Gower so be careful there for sure

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Plenty of rips and weird currents around the Gower so be careful there for sure

Been wanting to try that route for a while, conditions were finally perfect, as you say, need to be very careful in certain spots around Gower.

SUP's are great. I get a lot of use out of mine and planning to get the little one his own for next Spring.

As said by other posters, to get the most of a SUP your dependent on weather if taking it out on the coast, but on lakes they are perfect. You can purchase seat attachments to make the SUP more kayak like, but generally whether you're sitting, kneeling or standing it's a great way to spend a part of your day out on the water.

Tip, if you plan to inflate and deflate the SUP or kayak on site as opposed to inflating at home and strapping it to the roof of your car it's definitely worth investing in an air compressor, I have this black & decker.