+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exeter friendly

Re: Exeter friendly

We have looked crap in these preseason games.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    1-2 City fail to clear a corner
    Shocking goal to concede from a corner conceded after some fluent football by Exeter of a type we're incapable of.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Shocking goal to concede from a corner conceded after some fluent football by Exeter of a type we're incapable of.
    It was a great move from Exeter that lead to the corner. I think the difference between the teams is the intensity - we just look like we're going through the motions whereas Exeter look really up for it.

Not sure if it’s because he’s not busting a gut because it’s preseason but Collins looks a lot slower than I imagined him to be

Exeter almost score a third. Harris and Bagan on for Whyte and Davies.

Giles and Bowen on for Tomlin and Collins

Pelanty - Harris beats the last defender and is dragged down. Awesome pace there. Harris converts for 2-2

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Bob, you may remember a pre-season friendly against Newcastle which we won 4-1. Think it may have been the season we got promoted to the PL for the first time.

Now that was a wonderful exhibition of fluent football, which left me full of anticipation and excitement for the season ahead.

Judging by your post you probably feel the opposite of this and who can blame you. I'm not at all concerned by the result but our inability to impose ourselves (going by comments on here) on lower league opposition does not bode well for what lies ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Bob, you may remember a pre-season friendly against Newcastle which we won 4-1. Think it may have been the season we got promoted to the PL for the first time.

Now that was a wonderful exhibition of fluent football, which left me full of anticipation and excitement for the season ahead.

Judging by your post you probably feel the opposite of this and who can blame you. I'm not at all concerned by the result but our inability to impose ourselves (going by comments on here) on lower league opposition does not bode well for what lies ahead.
    I’m struggling to work out what our plan is. What ‘style’ are we?

We seem like a team of Jack of trades

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

Yes. we were excellent that day against Newcastle and they were a little lucky to just lose by three. By contrast, every time I've seen us this season, it looks like we're playing our first pre season match, there's little sign of a progression from us and we don't deserve more than a draw from this match at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I’m struggling to work out what our plan is. What ‘style’ are we?

We seem like a team of Jack of trades
    I agree - one thing is clear, Exeter look by far the better footballing side.

If there is no discernable progress and MM proves incapable of fashioning a football team of note, how do you think the board will react ? Do you think they will tolerate another season or two of attritional football if the results don't pan out or will they finally decide to bite the bullet and seek to employ a manager with a more modern approach to the game ?

Personally I think that with the parlous state of the club's finances, the board are unlikely to want to implicate radical changes unless there is a drastic downturn to the team's results, regardless of how uneasy their playing style is on the eye.

We all know whats coming - long ball direct football. Our 2 best players are missing and hopefully will be back.

Our style will be a handful for most teams and sides will hate our physical approach.

It wont be pretty but we will grind out enough results to keep us top half and probably top 10.

Most teams if not all will look better footballing teams.

Thats the way it is.

Yep. Nothing much changed. Defend deep play on the counter.
    That is all very good if you can defend, which we cant at the moment. We urgently need Morrison back to shore defence up.

Giles/Murphy on right Collins/Keiffer up top Colwill/Harris on left will be a dangerous attack.

Midfield I despair, unless Tomlin suddenly is able to play 90 mins regularly, something he hasn't done for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    We have looked crap in these preseason games.
    we normally do, Ive seen the odd preseason game that we have looked decent in the past, but normally i leave feeling worried for the forthcoming season

The only bright sparks in this preseason have been Giles and Collins. Apart from that we have looked very ordinary.

Don't worry we will be tearing into the Tykes on 7th , only issue who will be there to witness it

First Team

I'm seriously thinking about lumping a few buckazoids on us to go down. At least the season of pain will then end with some wonga.

(Yes, I still support the team.)

My old man went down today as a guest of one of the younger players.

Just spoke to him and his thoughts were Cardiff were poor, have nothing in midfield, the only side looking to play any football was Exeter and Tomlin is just picking up a wage. 90 minutes and he’s pretty much picked up what most of us who’ve watched the first team over the last 5-10 years knew already.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about lumping a few buckazoids on us to go down. At least the season of pain will then end with some wonga.

(Yes, I still support the team.)
    Poor start, manager gone by Christmas, bring in someone like Pulis, end up in mid table, sign journeymen in the summer. Repeat until we eventually go down.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Poor start, manager gone by Christmas, bring in someone like Pulis, end up in mid table, sign journeymen in the summer. Repeat until we eventually go down.
    I can't disagree with that except I fear this is the season we go down.

We wont go down.

Far too good at set pieces and will bully loads of sides.

Haven't been interested in pre-season club friendlies (or any friendlies - especially at International level) for a long time now. Can't read much if anything - though I'd prefer tough matches and losses before the season starts. Having said that, It's no secret I think we'll struggle this season and it's going to get worse before it gets better. Pretty sure MM isn't the answer but I'm not sure the board know what the question is anymore.

All we can do is turn up and support. At least our away shirts are fab this season (apart from the fact the sizes seem a bit too small each year).

Bet365 have us down as 5th favourites for promotion!

I don't think we'll go down, I can't see much quality in the rest of the division. I think Fulham will walk it

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Bet365 have us down as 5th favourites for promotion!

I don't think we'll go down, I can't see much quality in the rest of the division. I think Fulham will walk it
    People say that every year about Fulham. I’ve been guilty of it myself.