+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Olympics Taekwondo: Blackwood’s Lauren Williams

Olympics Taekwondo: Blackwood’s Lauren Williams

Going for gold today at approx 13:30.

Re: Olympics Taekwondo: Blackwood’s Lauren Williams

Great news, go Lauren go, popular sport in that area .

3 Golds and a silver already today. Brilliant stuff.
    Come on Lauren.

Aw man that was so close, great effort!

Just beaten at the end, did so well.

Very close indeed. Unlucky IMO, though I don't know the intrcacies of TKD, I thought she scored a few hits that weren't given.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Very close indeed. Unlucky IMO, though I don't know the intrcacies of TKD, I thought she scored a few hits that weren't given.
    This is the beauty of the Olympics

"yeah been watching Taekwando for about an hour now, ref's got it completely wrong, he doesn't know what he's doing"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    This is the beauty of the Olympics

"yeah been watching Taekwando for about an hour now, ref's got it completely wrong, he doesn't know what he's doing"
    I used to take my kids to TKD, they got to "blue ends" (6th grade?) so Ive watched a bit more than the Olympics - but yeah, I still don't see how eg a clear punch to the chest doesn't count.

I was watching the highlights this morning of some other fights and the commentators stated that there are sensors on the feet, gloves, head guards and trunk guards and whether these connect cleanly with enough force is how points are given. I always thought they were scored by the judges on the sides like in boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    I was watching the highlights this morning of some other fights and the commentators stated that there are sensors on the feet, gloves, head guards and trunk guards and whether these connect cleanly with enough force is how points are given. I always thought they were scored by the judges on the sides like in boxing.
    There are are sensors on the feet, but not the hands, so punch points are given (in the words of the commentator) "by the men in blazers sat around the arena"

The kicks are pretty obvious but there were 4-5 punches that weren't scored so I gave up trying to figure it out at that point. But I THINK the punch only counts if you scream really really loud.

There are are sensors on the feet, but not the hands, so punch points are given (in the words of the commentator) "by the men in blazers sat around the arena"
    Ah right, I knew he said there were sensors and naturally assumed they were on the gloves too. Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    The kicks are pretty obvious but there were 4-5 punches that weren't scored so I gave up trying to figure it out at that point. But I THINK the punch only counts if you scream really really loud.
    This appears to be true.

I used to take my kids to TKD, they got to "blue ends" (6th grade?) so Ive watched a bit more than the Olympics - but yeah, I still don't see how eg a clear punch to the chest doesn't count.
    No idea mate