+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mid Wales

Mid Wales

On way down to the yearly trip to Newquay (Wales)

Usual trip up to Llandovery and across - loads of beautiful little villages on the way but surely they can’t all be holiday and retirement homes

Is there any actual economy there other than that and the odd farm?

Re: Mid Wales

Drove to Harlech last year for work. Absolutely stunning drive.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Usual trip up to Llandovery and across - loads of beautiful little villages on the way but surely they can’t all be holiday and retirement homes

Loads of farms up that way, and lots of small business that support the communities, and the farming community.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I love Newquay

Went water-skiing in the bay there as a kid , saw a fin , shit myself thinking it was a shark 🦈

Thick as ****

I could live on the coast but not inland

Its rolling hills and tiny country lanes , the nearest town has a shop and a pub and its half an hours drive

Deliverance

Work in Mid-Wales is mainly either in farming, education, or is council-funded.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Work in Mid-Wales is mainly either in farming, education, or is council-funded.
    Newtown , Llanidloes, Welshpool , Llandrindod Wells , couldn't bear living there

Actually Llandrindod Wells isn't too bad. But Newtown, well, that's something else....

There's a sleepy little town in mid-Wales called Llandyfnod.

Was down New Quay last weekend
    Fantastic weather spent most of it on the beach.
    Seen loads of Dolphins, came right round in front of the boats in the harbour on Sunday morning.
    Watched the lions game in New Quay football club, great laugh and really made us feel welcome,
    Penwig looking a bit tatty and looks like it's being badly run by Marstons these days, which is such a shame as the best position of all the pubs.
    The Dolou is no more, now a boutique room only hotel run by the same guy who owns the Blacklion.
    The old Wellington now called the sipping shack has seating across the road now but for some strange reason closes at 8pm.
    Absolutely love New Quay and try and get down there a couple of times a year 👍

Llandovery is a cracking little place,Its my end of the week place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Was down New Quay last weekend
    Fantastic weather spent most of it on the beach.
    Seen loads of Dolphins, came right round in front of the boats in the harbour on Sunday morning.
    Watched the lions game in New Quay football club, great laugh and really made us feel welcome,
    Penwig looking a bit tatty and looks like it's being badly run by Marstons these days, which is such a shame as the best position of all the pubs.
    The Dolou is no more, now a boutique room only hotel run by the same guy who owns the Blacklion.
    The old Wellington now called the sipping shack has seating across the road now but for some strange reason closes at 8pm.
    Absolutely love New Quay and try and get down there a couple of times a year 👍
    Great chippy

Love that little beach with the big flat stones

Always lots of brummies there

I have the misfortune to know Mid Wales very well. No economy of any note outside farming and tourism. Newtown and Weshpool to be avoided as they may as well be in England.

Newtown nothing to offer, Welshpool has a couple of decent restaurants/ watering holes, but best to pretend your Saes in both these places as Welsh are outnumbered there.

Places like Llanidloes and Llandridnod are pretty but totally lacking anything. Again avoid. How anyone could like Llandovery I do not know. One decentish hotel, strange monument in car park and private school. Pass through without stopping.

Once you get to the coast things do buck up and I've got happy memories of Newquay. Great if you've got kids, bit too crowded at this time of year now, for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Llandovery is a cracking little place,Its my end of the week place to go.
    Its a one horse town on the road to nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I have the misfortune to know Mid Wales very well. No economy of any note outside farming and tourism. Newtown and Weshpool to be avoided as they may as well be in England.

Newtown nothing to offer, Welshpool has a couple of decent restaurants/ watering holes, but best to pretend your Saes in both these places as Welsh are outnumbered there.

Places like Llanidloes and Llandridnod are pretty but totally lacking anything. Again avoid. How anyone could like Llandovery I do not know. One decentish hotel, strange monument in car park and private school. Pass through without stopping.

Once you get to the coast things do buck up and I've got happy memories of Newquay. Great if you've got kids, bit too crowded at this time of year now, for my liking.
    Newquay is lovely

But Tenby and Saundersfoot are so much closer

And more to do

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Its a one horse town on the road to nowhere
    I luv the place Sludge, come friday 4.30pm i be on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    I luv the place Sludge, come friday 4.30pm i be on my way.
    Tenby yes

Tenby and Saundersfoot are great but exceptionally busy this year. I should know, I live there!
    Looking forward to the Autumn when the visitors go home and we can have the beaches to ourselves.

Tenby and Saundersfoot are great but exceptionally busy this year. I should know, I live there!
    Looking forward to the Autumn when the visitors go home and we can have the beaches to ourselves.
    I bet the locals have put up the prices

It will be busy until the end of October this year

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It will be busy until the end of October this year
    I know 😠

Some parts of the planet have no shops and bars and faddy restaurants shocker on ccmb.

Whats the point pf grass and trees after all.

Nothing I love more than a strong economy.

I despair.