+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackpool-Resort

Blackpool-Resort

My youngest daughter is into roller coasters and wants to try the one in Blackpool. I've never stayed in Blackpool, but what's it like in the evening for families, just doing the basic things like strolling about and getting some food?

I've heard some horror stories about drunkenness and loutish behaviour (although i can deal with that in small doses) but would any of you lot take your missus and kid up for a weekend? we're not drinking orientated, just like a walk, browse and a bit of food. Thoughts appreciated.

Re: Blackpool-Resort

Each to their own, but I wouldn’t stay there if it was free !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Each to their own, but I wouldn’t stay there if it was free !!!!!
    Really-that bad? Suppose i could travel in during the day and stay somewhere else overnight.

St Annes is a better place to stay just south on the Lytham Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    St Annes is a better place to stay just south on the Lytham Rd.
    Cheers mate, will check it out

I’m judging from a long time ago but I would certainly never go back.

Blackpool is marmite.
    There are some really nice guest houses but there are some real shitholes as well.
    Have a look at the top 10 trip advisor ones.
    The nicer b and bs tend to be away from the front

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Blackpool is marmite.
    There are some really nice guest houses but there are some real shitholes as well.
    Have a look at the top 10 trip advisor ones.
    The nicer b and bs tend to be away from the front
    Cheers. We could go really boring and get a Travelodge. My biggest concern is pissed up behaviour in the evenings. Like i said, it's just to take my daughter up for the Fair ground etc, but while we're there it would be nice to take a stroll and look about the place, or maybe not judging by some of the replies

Used to be great years ago.
    We went every year when I was a kid - damp sheets in the b&b , candy floss and kiss me quick hats.
    A Show at the end of the pier and maybe the chance to see Sir Stanley Matthews play in n a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Cheers. We could go really boring and get a Travelodge. My biggest concern is pissed up behaviour in the evenings. Like i said, it's just to take my daughter up for the Fair ground etc, but while we're there it would be nice to take a stroll and look about the place, or maybe not judging by some of the replies
    I'm sure you'd be fine tbh. Try going midweek if you're concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    I'm sure you'd be fine tbh. Try going midweek if you're concerned.
    Sounds like good advice, thanks mate. It's not me so much, it's my daughter. I've kept them a bit to protected (still doing it by the looks of this thread) maybe i'm over thinking it

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Used to be great years ago.
    We went every year when I was a kid - damp sheets in the b&b , candy floss and kiss me quick hats.
    A Show at the end of the pier and maybe the chance to see Sir Stanley Matthews play in n a Saturday.
    If Warnock was in charge at Blackpool, i might still have got the chance to see Sir Stanley, plying his trade out wide

My youngest daughter is into roller coasters and wants to try the one in Blackpool. I've never stayed in Blackpool, but what's it like in the evening for families, just doing the basic things like strolling about and getting some food?

I've heard some horror stories about drunkenness and loutish behaviour (although i can deal with that in small doses) but would any of you lot take your missus and kid up for a weekend? we're not drinking orientated, just like a walk, browse and a bit of food. Thoughts appreciated.
    Me and the missus stopped there for a night on the way back from Fort William in 2019 we ended up staying from the thurs night until the monday because we enjoyed it.
    We went for walks and a bit of a look around in the days and a drink and food in the nights.
    I didn't really see any loutish behaviour or any trouble that could spoil our visit.
    I'd defo go back there i think most people who spread these horror stories are the types that sit on some remote lifeless west wales beach all day peeling boiled eggs and wearing sandals and white socks

Can't you come off the sauce for a couple of days?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Me and the missus stopped there for a night on the way back from Fort William in 2019 we ended up staying from the thurs night until the monday because we enjoyed it.
    We went for walks and a bit of a look around in the days and a drink and food in the nights.
    I didn't really see any loutish behaviour or any trouble that could spoil our visit.
    I'd defo go back there i think most people who spread these horror stories are the types that sit on some remote lifeless west wales beach all day peeling boiled eggs and wearing sandals and white socks
    Thanks Stan, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Can't you come off the sauce for a couple of days?
    You try taking a teenager away for the weekend!

It's chav central. Took my daughter there for the evening when she was in Uni. Never again. Gang after gang of chavvies, and not just teenage chavvies either, dad chavs and grampy chav gangs too. The worst seaside resort I have visited in the UK without a shadow of doubt.

Travellodge by bloomfield Road is fine and the pleasure Beach is fairly nearby in the opposite direction to the main drinking areas. I took my 2 teens who were 12 & 14 and we had a much better time than I feared.

Stick to the piers side of the road and you barely pass a pub. Cross over to the other side once you've decided if she likes it or not.

Wouldn't go often but as a one off trip for roller coasters she should be plenty happy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    It's chav central. Took my daughter there for the evening when she was in Uni. Never again. Gang after gang of chavvies, and not just teenage chavvies either, dad chavs and grampy chav gangs too. The worst seaside resort I have visited in the UK without a shadow of doubt.
    Grampy chav gangs just made me spit out my coffee with laughter. Absolute quality!

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Travellodge by bloomfield Road is fine and the pleasure Beach is fairly nearby in the opposite direction to the main drinking areas. I took my 2 teens who were 12 & 14 and we had a much better time than I feared.

Stick to the piers side of the road and you barely pass a pub. Cross over to the other side once you've decided if she likes it or not.

Wouldn't go often but as a one off trip for roller coasters she should be plenty happy
    Great advice and first hand experience with teenagers. Thanks, the hotel attached to the football stadium sounds good.

Aside from going there once or twice to watch the City, I went to Blackpool a few years ago on a sports tour. It was one of the worst places I've stayed in this country. Run down, boarded up shops...just not a great area with a real sense of desolation about the place. Being kind, I suppose you could say it's not what it was in its heyday, much like a lot of the classic British seaside towns. But personally speaking, I wouldn't return - but probably worth noting I'm 35 and don't have kids.

Having said that, the area around Stanley Park was actually alright, but that's about 2.5 miles away from the seafront. If you want to stay in Blackpool I'd personally avoid staying around the seafront for the reasons I've mentioned above.

I've not been there but as others have said here, from what I understand Lytham St Annes, just down the road, is a far nicer place.

It used to be havoc when we went up there

Burnley away promotion game from the old fourth division , bedlam

Bury away relegation , even worse

Last time I went up there a coach of Middlesborough and our lot were scrapping as soon as we arrived

Jagged thistle is a good pub mind

Scottish female darts teams on tour

Stay in Lytham St Annes 2 miles out from Blackpool, its Yin to neighbour Blackpool's yang, its posh though has four golf courses , very impressive area .

Went every year, second weekend of October (the City against Blackpool sometimes coincided with that weekend), with a great crowd from St Albans & Bridgend Street, from about 1977 until 2000. Great times, until the place got too greedy and complacent, it became rundown without any sign of upgrading yet they expected people like us to turn up year in year out. It turned out to be cheaper to hit Benidorm Thursday to Tuesday instead of Blackpool Friday to Monday, and throw in the sunshine it became a no brainer. We got to meet the same bunches of people given that we went the same time every year and it was no surprise that we were bumping into them in Benidorm, as they had the same outlook as us. Sadly pre pandemic Benidorm slipped into making the same mistake as Blackpool and was gradually going downhill. Nevertheless I’m going up to Blackpool for a Northern Soul weekend in a few weeks, back for a day or two and then off to Benidorm, so I can do a right Judith Chalmers on how both resorts currently are. My reviews will be revealed on here during and after both trips, if Benidorm goes ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Went every year, second weekend of October (the City against Blackpool sometimes coincided with that weekend), with a great crowd from St Albans & Bridgend Street, from about 1977 until 2000. Great times, until the place got too greedy and complacent, it became rundown without any sign of upgrading yet they expected people like us to turn up year in year out. It turned out to be cheaper to hit Benidorm Thursday to Tuesday instead of Blackpool Friday to Monday, and throw in the sunshine it became a no brainer. We got to meet the same bunches of people given that we went the same time every year and it was no surprise that we were bumping into them in Benidorm, as they had the same outlook as us. Sadly pre pandemic Benidorm slipped into making the same mistake as Blackpool and was gradually going downhill. Nevertheless I’m going up to Blackpool for a Northern Soul weekend in a few weeks, back for a day or two and then off to Benidorm, so I can do a right Judith Chalmers on how both resorts currently are. My reviews will be revealed on here during and after both trips, if Benidorm goes ahead.

Can they be with paragraphs please.

It's hard to read "one big splodge"